Advertisement

Review Group Week 161 - GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY #11

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Liked in: 61 posts

Postby ****** » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:08 pm

thefourthman wrote:all scores higher than a 6 are meaningless.

I'm abusing my tyrant status to tack on a +3 to everyone's scores this week. GotG is destined for the Review Group's Top 10.

Advertisement

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 83 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:10 pm

amlah6 wrote:I'm abusing my tyrant status to tack on a +3 to everyone's scores this week. GotG is destined for the Review Group's Top 10.

nope, I was wrong, the tyrant status doesn't suit you, go back to being the statistic nerd. :twisted:

48THRiLLS
Review Grouper

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Outhouse resident punk rocker
Formerly: cool

Postby 48THRiLLS » Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:20 pm

amlah6 wrote:On behalf of 48, fuck you for forgetting that he has also posted his review.

It's okay, my review was so one day ago...
It's funny, I was worried I was over thinking my review because it is a book I really like and I thought I would post the lowest score (besides thefourthman anyway) but now I am afraid I may have the highest... I am glad to see that I am not the only one who was cold one this issue.

SuperginraiX
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 84 posts
Title: unpronounceable
Formerly: Sane

Postby SuperginraiX » Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:58 am

Well, I really enjoyed the issue. I'll throw down a review saturday or sunday but I'm probably going to give it the highest score. :)

(and not just because it's my pick. I remember picking Flash #1 three Flash books ago and it was... disappointing...)

Postby ****** » Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:14 am

SuperginraiX wrote:(and not just because it's my pick. I remember picking Flash #1 three Flash books ago and it was... disappointing...)

That was you?

[center]:smt013 :smt013 :smt013

:smt097

:smt013 :smt013 :smt013[/center]

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 347 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:32 pm

thefourthman wrote:You act like I wanted to read this shit. I am happy to see it get low scores.

Because it's other peoples hatred of you that pushed this book.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:49 pm

guitarsmashley wrote:Because it's other peoples hatred of you that pushed this book.

I am just striving to be like my hero: you! :twisted:

Flynn the Pirate

Postby Flynn the Pirate » Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:51 pm

48THRiLLS wrote:It's okay, my review was so one day ago...
It's funny, I was worried I was over thinking my review because it is a book I really like and I thought I would post the lowest score (besides thefourthman anyway) but now I am afraid I may have the highest... I am glad to see that I am not the only one who was cold one this issue.

I really wanted to give this a higher score. I love everything that DnA does, but this week's issue was just attrocious. I'm chalking it up to being focused on War of Kings and not on the task at hand of making sure their other books are still up to snuff.

I only hope that Nova doesn't wimp out on us too. I don't think I could handle it.

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 347 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:01 pm

thefourthman wrote:I am just striving to be like my hero: you! :twisted:

well good thing I'll be forcefully putting my seed into your eye sockets over the weekend.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 1 post

Postby Starlord » Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:05 pm

Guardian of the Galaxy #11

I'm really not sure what I can add that everyone hasn't said already. Love this series, but this issue fell slightly short. Yet, not as much as others seem to think. Granted, Drax is not the best story going on right now, but I do find him fascinating. It's that female that I'm not found of. In fact, I can't even remember her name and don't want to go get the book.

The art, as someone already said, was amazing, and really saved this issue from a lower score. Still, the story really didn't feel like it's going anywhere important.

Story: 4
Art: 8
My Score: 6.5

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

SuperginraiX
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 84 posts
Title: unpronounceable
Formerly: Sane

Postby SuperginraiX » Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:39 am

amlah6 wrote:That was you?

[center]:smt013 :smt013 :smt013

:smt097

:smt013 :smt013 :smt013[/center]

Heh. You run the SoD and don't keep track of what people pick? :smt108

Postby ****** » Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:30 am

SuperginraiX wrote:Heh. You run the SoD and don't keep track of what people pick? :smt108

That's in there, just somewhere along the way I associated that pick with Kyle Cowfist, plus you normally make much better picks than that. :P

Chubbles
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 3 posts

Postby Chubbles » Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:37 am

My pick:

After much thought I am going to select Invincible 60. Huge mega crossover done in one story. I read Invincible in trades but I'm hoping this won't spoil much of anything for me.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 76 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:38 am

Guardians Of The Galaxy #11 - 'Welcome To Oblivion' - Abnett, Lanning, Craig and Quintana

Story - I have to echo what's been said by the others, I'm a big fan of this series and what DnA have been doing in the cosmic landscape in general, but this was not the best issue of the series, and it is probably due to the characters this issue focuses on, Drax and Quasar. Since the Secret Invasion tie-in, the team has split up, and we've been following a few different threads, Starlord in the Negative Zone, Rocket Raccoon's attempts to start a new team, Adam Warlock and Gamora, and Drax and Quasar's search for Moondragon, and we've been getting little bits of each story in each issue, but this issue was entirely on one story, and it wasn't strong enough, yes, Drax is awesome and Phyla is a sexy space Lesbian, but they need the other character's to really play off of, and as such, this issue felt a little flat. But there were some good points, it was good to see more of Drax and his place in the universe and views, because he's usually used as just a typical bad-ass, kicking butt and smashing things, and his conversations with Phyla and Maelstrom were fascinating, and asked an excellent question, what does Drax do now that he has achieved his life's goal and killed Thanos? And was that a good thing? Good stuff that. Maelstrom is an interesting villain, with a vision and scope far beyond the usual villain, and his trickery at the end bodes well for a better part 2, but overall this was a weak link in the Guardians chain, get to War Of Kings DnA! Oh, and it was cool seeing Genis again, when is he coming back?

Art - This was good, Craig is a decent fill-in for Pelletier, and his particular style fit with the desolate and dreamlike setting of this story, and I think Quintana's colours helped with this. I'd like to see more from these guys.

Best Line - 'The Universe is still alive. A state of affairs I will rectify as soon as I get myself out of here'

6/10

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:40 am

I am reading it tonight, will let you know status of review and score afterwards.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand