Advertisement

Review Group Week 161 - GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY #11

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Liked in: 61 posts

Postby ****** » Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:05 pm

starlord wrote:can I take a bow out for next week? I buy Invincible in trades and don't want to ruin it.

Sure.

I'm debating a pass for myself as well. I read Invincible in HC's so I'm even further behind. I loathe to break my consecutive review streak being this close to 100 though.

Advertisement

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 1 post

Postby Starlord » Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:11 pm

oh and don't forget to put my score up when you get a chance. :-)

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 347 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:21 pm

amlah6 wrote:Sure.

I'm debating a pass for myself as well. I read Invincible in HC's so I'm even further behind. I loathe to break my consecutive review streak being this close to 100 though.

NO WE HAVE SOMETHING IN COMMON!!!
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Postby ****** » Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:33 pm

Chubbles wrote:My pick:

After much thought I am going to select Invincible 60.

[center]ImageInvincible #60[/center]
story ROBERT KIRKMAN
art & cover RYAN OTTLEY & FCO PLASCENCIA

THE CROSSOVER EVENT OF THE DECADE!
Invincible is drawn into a company-wide crossover event done in ONE oversized issue! SPAWN! SAVAGE DRAGON! YOUNGBLOOD! SHADOWHAWK! CYBERFORCE! PITT! ULTRA! and many, many more all here for one issue – don’t miss it!

SPECIAL FOUR-PAGE GATEFOLD COVER BY RYAN OTTLEY AND FCO PLASCENCIA!

Postby ****** » Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:42 pm

starlord wrote:oh and don't forget to put my score up when you get a chance. :-)

Dones.

KING King Impulse
Teenage Wasteland

Liked in: 0 post
Title: The Prodigal Son
Formerly: King Impulse

Postby KING King Impulse » Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:51 pm

amlah6 wrote:Hurm. :?

Twigg had the vote that made Punchy a mod.

I told him to do it via MSN.
THE ENTHUSIAST: The Internet's Premier Hate Free Zone!

| Website | Twitter | Facebook |

Postby ****** » Sun Mar 15, 2009 4:49 pm

You guys are all crazy, this comics was awesome. :P

After months of teases, we're finally getting into Drax and Phyla's search for Cammi... except somewhere along the way it switched from being about the search for Cammi to being about the search for Moondragon. While I'm a bit disappointed that Cammi has been put off to the side once again, searching for Moondragon inevitably leads to comics with dragons in them which is always a good thing (see Four Eyes) so I'm cool with the switch.

I'm not sure that I "got" that Mentor killed Drax and Phyla last issue, but with the handy recap page clarifying what happened it wasn't a problem. Existential Drax was lol-tastic and the appearance of Maelstrom was a welcome surprise. This issue may not have had the rest of the team, but Drax had been criminally underused in the series up to this point so I was thrilled to see that situation rectified. I loved how this issue planted seeds for the ramifications of Drax having killed Thanos which I'm sure will lead to the character's return.

I'm not all that familiar with Wes Craig, but his art combined with Wil Quintana's colors in this issue rocked. It probably wouldn't work for one of the more team based issues of the series, but for the story here it was just perfect. The characters were very emotive and the action flowed well.

Story: 8
Art: 9
Overall: 8.5

KING King Impulse
Teenage Wasteland

Postby KING King Impulse » Sun Mar 15, 2009 4:51 pm

amlah6 wrote:You guys are all crazy, this comics was awesome. :P

After months of teases, we're finally getting into Drax and Phyla's search for Cammi... except somewhere along the way it switched from being about the search for Cammi to being about the search for Moondragon. While I'm a bit disappointed that Cammi has been put off to the side once again, searching for Moondragon inevitably leads to comics with dragons in them which is always a good thing (see Four Eyes) so I'm cool with the switch.

I'm not sure that I "got" that Mentor killed Drax and Phyla last issue, but with the handy recap page clarifying what happened it wasn't a problem. Existential Drax was lol-tastic and the appearance of Maelstrom was a welcome surprise. This issue may not have had the rest of the team, but Drax had been criminally underused in the series up to this point so I was thrilled to see that situation rectified. I loved how this issue planted seeds for the ramifications of Drax having killed Thanos which I'm sure will lead to the character's return.

I'm not all that familiar with Wes Craig, but his art combined with Wil Quintana's colors in this issue rocked. It probably wouldn't work for one of the more team based issues of the series, but for the story here it was just perfect. The characters were very emotive and the action flowed well.

Story: 8
Art: 9
Overall: 8.5

Does Maelstrom mention how he died?

Postby ****** » Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:09 pm

Kid Impulse wrote:Does Maelstrom mention how he died?

He says he's been stranded in Oblivion for a long time, but he doesn't say how it happened.

KING King Impulse
Teenage Wasteland

Postby KING King Impulse » Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:40 pm

amlah6 wrote:He says he's been stranded in Oblivion for a long time, but he doesn't say how it happened.

Mr. Immortal tricked him into killing himself

I was just hoping it got referenced.

SuperginraiX
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 84 posts
Title: unpronounceable
Formerly: Sane

Official SuperginraiX Review!

Postby SuperginraiX » Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:07 am

I must have been one of the few people to enjoy the Quasar mini from Annihilation Conquest. :?

As it stands, I enjoy Drax and Phylla a whole lot more than I do Adam Warlock and Gamorra. I love 'em all but there's a pecking order with Rocket Raccoon and Star-Lord topping the list. Honestly, this team is really good.

So it's a little disappointing that this issue only features the Destroyer and Quasar. I was hoping for a page or two devoted to the adventures of the rest of the team but here we are with just the two dead ones hanging out. Also: not a War of Kings tie-in and, while that may pull in some people, I'm not quite burnt out on events and was hoping to get the Guardians' perspective on the beginning of an intergalactic war. It's almost got me pulling out my Operation: Galactic Storm issues just to see recall the last time the Kree and Shi'ar battled across the cosmos.

But, this is a much simpler story and that works too. The dialogue is reminiscent of some good Terry Pratchet. Funny & philosophical. There were times I laughed out loud but that's probably because I'm easily amused.

Abnett and Lanning seem to know how to make cosmic stuff have an easy to identify feel to it. This is all high end cosmic happenings but delivered in bite sized chunks that the reader can easily dive into. It doesn't hurt that Phylla plays the "what is going on?" role while Drax does all the explaining. Well, him and Maelstrom and that's just as good as our heroes get to mock him while he explains about the cosmic balance.

Honestly, I don't really care that much about Moondragon's return but the dragon bit is great. Moondragon has always annoyed me. I never really got why Phylla ended up with her except you don't see that many lesbians hanging out in outer space.

The art is incredible. I'd love to see what Craig could do with the full team. The emotions work, timing works, coloring is brilliant... I really can't boost the art enough and it totally makes up for any disappointment I had in not seeing the rest of the "team" or get more War of Kings goodness. I liked the previous artist but Craig ups the game.

OK, I'll stop gushing. War of Kings, you get an 8.5 out of 10. Keep up the good work.

SuperginraiX
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 84 posts
Title: unpronounceable
Formerly: Sane

Official SuperginraiX Review!

Postby SuperginraiX » Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:07 am

Double post? Wierd. :shock:

Alex Delarge
Post Whore

Postby Alex Delarge » Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:26 am

amlah6 wrote:[center]ImageInvincible #60[/center]
story ROBERT KIRKMAN
art & cover RYAN OTTLEY & FCO PLASCENCIA

THE CROSSOVER EVENT OF THE DECADE!
Invincible is drawn into a company-wide crossover event done in ONE oversized issue! SPAWN! SAVAGE DRAGON! YOUNGBLOOD! SHADOWHAWK! CYBERFORCE! PITT! ULTRA! and many, many more all here for one issue – don’t miss it!

SPECIAL FOUR-PAGE GATEFOLD COVER BY RYAN OTTLEY AND FCO PLASCENCIA!

I think I will join you fellas on this one.

Postby ****** » Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:08 pm

Alex Delarge wrote:I think I will join you fellas on this one.

Awesome, Alex Delarge's return to the Review Group was long overdue.

Re: Official SuperginraiX Review!

Postby ****** » Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:10 pm

amlah6 wrote:8.5

SuperginraiX wrote:8.5

:high five:

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand