Advertisement

Review Group Week 161 - GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY #11

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 116 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:03 pm

Chubbles wrote:I want you to share in the love of Nova and GotG, both exceptional books imo. GL also has been pretty good. I think I'm the opposite of you in that I'm a sucker for the cosmic stuff.

I read Nova for about a year and a half, it never did anything for me. I read Annihilation and all of the stuff that lead up to Conquest. I got issue two of Conquest and decided that I should stop reading stuff that I just find boring. But cosmic stuff in general doesn't interest me. GL Color Wars seems really gay to me. The Blue Lanterns are the stupid hippie granola army? whatever... thing is, I have more invested in that cosmic stuff, so I follow it a little more closely.
I'd still rather read Comic Book Comics, Young Liars, or Four Eyes over most other books, any day. They are different.

Advertisement

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 77 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:17 pm

1 book a week works, and it should stay that way.

Don't be so worried about when your pick is, that's selfish, and this is a group, concentrate on writing the best reviews you can and contributing to discussion.

Liked in: 61 posts

Postby ****** » Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:41 pm

Punchy wrote:1 book a week works, and it should stay that way

This.

As it is, everyone gets a week where their pick is the focus. Having multiple people making picks each week and no one would ever gets the focus and when there are weeks when indies get picked, even less people will try them out because it's just going to be easier for for everyone to find the Marvel/DC selection.

In terms of pick frequency, with the move here maybe we each get a pick every 3 months instead of every 2. When I joined the group, it was almost 6 months before I made my first pick, 3 months doesn't really sound all that bad.

48THRiLLS
Review Grouper

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Outhouse resident punk rocker
Formerly: cool

Re: Official SuperginraiX Review!

Postby 48THRiLLS » Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:19 pm

amlah6 wrote:Gage and Lilly were awesome on that book. I don't get the Phyla hate either.

It's not that I hate Phyla, I like her fine. I am just done with Moondragon and was hoping that there would be some movement towards looking for Cammi...
That being said, I didn't hate this ish but I do think this book works best when the whole team is showcased.

...and I think that the review group should be one pick per week, I think 2 would devalue the books reviewed but if you skip a week what if you review something you brought home just to stay in the mix? (didn't we do something like that before)

Flynn the Pirate

Postby Flynn the Pirate » Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:51 pm

I have no issue with Phyla, either as a character unto herself or in her role as Quasar. That being said, I think that whenever DnA write her with minimal supporting characters, there's a lot to be desired.

The Annihilation: Conquest - Quasar series wasn't bad. But relative to Nova or Star-Lord, it wasn't as good as I thought it could have been.

Postby ****** » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:20 am

SuperginraiX
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 95 posts
Title: unpronounceable
Formerly: Sane

Postby SuperginraiX » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:52 am

That is some masterful editing. :lol:

Postby ****** » Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:04 pm

SuperginraiX wrote:That is some masterful editing. :lol:

:twisted: :wink:

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 361 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:48 pm

doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Postby ****** » Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:59 pm

guitarsmashley wrote:SKULLFUCK!!!

Use skullfuck in the review portion of your post next time. :P

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 361 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:18 pm

amlah6 wrote:Use skullfuck in the review portion of your post next time. :P

You've been added to the skullfuck list.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Postby ****** » Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:31 pm

guitarsmashley wrote:You've been added to the skullfuck list.

You make it sound so sexy.

malcolm reynolds
Garbage Collector

Title: creep
Formerly: young neil

Postby malcolm reynolds » Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:08 pm

“I serve for the pleasure of Emperor Vulcan”

Well a quick/late review is better than no review; I had trouble finding this... I was stupid enough to overlook it in the original solicits.
When I first got into comics I was never really into the ‘cosmic’ thing, from either company, but I’ve found that they can be amazing books when given a chance. Guardians of the Galaxy, Nova and Green Lantern are now three of my favourite books (I still can’t get into Legion). Now I totally missed Annihilation, so bear with me if I miss anything.

The issue starts with what passes for the Starjammers now, with only one of the original members remaining. Sometimes I forget that the X-Men have spent so much time in space, but I am glad they found a use for the third Summers’ brother. War of Kings, I think, is going to be exactly what it sounds like. In this issue ‘Emperor’ Vulcan, attacks Blackbolt and the Inhumans, and Blackbolt does not look happy.

I found myself loving Gladiator’s motivation, his loyalty as he puts it, is the one thing that defines him. No matter what he thinks of the person he serves, it is his one constant. I also found myself liking Blackbolt for once; I never thought you could do much with a character that can never talk. But his silence worked really well for this story making him just look even madder, and let’s face it I’m really looking forward to see his retaliation.
I loved the art, it reminded me of some of the 90’s Avengers stuff (from memory around #360-400), I also was amused by the fortress of solitude, sorry, the Gon-Ket glacier where the ceremony was. Actually that was my one bit of annoyance with the issue the continual use of hyphenated words.
I absolutely loved this issue, and it cements my love for marvel cosmic even more, can’t wait for issue 2.

I’m gonna pull a Punchy this week, but favourite line:
“Didn’t I kill you?”
And, worst line:
“how can Vulcan be my brother, how can I be related to anyone who could orchestrate this?”
Seriously havoc, bit longwinded in a panic situation.

Just an overall score 8.9 Everyone should check this out.

malcolm reynolds
Garbage Collector

Title: creep
Formerly: young neil

Postby malcolm reynolds » Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:20 pm

So guess who should have paid more attention late last night, and shoul have read the RIGHT book. Now instead everyone has my thoughts on War of kings, instead of Guardians of the Galaxy. I'm just reading Guardians now, so I'll post a review of the RIGHT book a bit later on... is there an embarrassed emoticon??

48THRiLLS
Review Grouper

Title: Outhouse resident punk rocker
Formerly: cool

Postby 48THRiLLS » Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:23 pm

young neil wrote:So guess who should have paid more attention late last night, and shoul have read the RIGHT book. Now instead everyone has my thoughts on War of kings, instead of Guardians of the Galaxy. I'm just reading Guardians now, so I'll post a review of the RIGHT book a bit later on... is there an embarrassed emoticon??

Heh... I honestly thought you were just doing a really, really late review of War of Kings.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand