Advertisement

Review Group Week 162 - INVINCIBLE #60

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Liked in: 61 posts

Postby ****** » Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:28 pm

Punchy wrote:All you mutha uckas reading this in trades!

Get the issues!

No. :P

Advertisement

MrBlack
WTF is this rank?

Liked in: 99 posts

Postby MrBlack » Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:05 pm

Damn, that was intense!

The issue was a bit of a mess, but if anything it is a decent reflection of the utter disaster that has been wreaked upon the Earth. Sixteen Invincibles versus the entire planet. I am actually surprised at how well the Image heroes did.

The art was excellent in this one, and I have been quite impressed with the coloring on this series since issue #50. As for the story, it was an exhilarating read, but there was way too much going on for a single issue, even if it was 30 pages. Lots of deaths, lots of maimings, and only one of those deaths was even showcased (although it was a doozy). Overall, I loved the story, although it might have been better as two or three issues. Still, I find it hard not to like this issue if just for its ambition.

Story: 8
Art: 10
Overall: 9

Bob_at_york
Rorshach Test Subject

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Bob_at_york » Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:40 am

If we aren't part of the review group, we can still discuss the issue right?
Should I post here?

Postby ****** » Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:43 am

Bob_at_york wrote:If we aren't part of the review group, we can still discuss the issue right?

Absolutely.

KING King Impulse
Teenage Wasteland

Title: The Prodigal Son
Formerly: King Impulse

Postby KING King Impulse » Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:41 pm

Invincible #60
Written by Robert Kirkman
Art by Ryan Ottley, Cliff Rathburn and FCO Plascencia

So The Invincible War begins, and ends within 30 pages. An ambitious goal for Robert Kirkman, to pack a crossover event into one oversized issue? A good idea? Perhaps. Did he pull it off? Not in my opinion. The issue was far too cluttered, both in terms of characters and in terms of panels per page. Too much happened in too little time, I really like the idea of an army of evil Invincibles attack Earth and I think it would make a fantastic arc, but in trying to prove something to the big companies, Kirkman rushed this in a gimmicky way that did a potentially great story a terrible disservice. As for the actual story content, it was pretty much what I expected, all of Image's superheroes team up to fight of an army of evil Invincibles, and I mean all (Tech Jacket!!!), they basically win but are undone by Invincible's #1 nemesis, Angstrom Levy's arrogance. As with all of Kirkman's stories, nothing is ever fully wrapped up, but this a good thing, the Invincibles and Angstrom Levy are now two seperate plot points that he can pick up later, as well as all the escaped inmates from the prison. This being a crossover, there are deaths and injuries to be expected, with several Guardians of the Globe and members of the Teen Team incapcitated or killed (including my favourite Image character) and this will no doubt be picked up next issue as well.
There's nothing left to say about Ryan Ottley, the man is a master storyteller who over 50 issues has evolved into one of the best artists working in comics today. Unfortunately, Kirkman's overambitious script hampers his work. Panels are too small and too many and in some places I was unsure as to panel order. Rathburn has been a great addition to the team, aping Ottley's self inking finely and giving the penciller more time to make his art even more awesome. The colourist, FCO (Apparently it's a nickname), has carried on the look of this book perfectly, and personally, I prefer the colours a tiny bit more now than I did in the first 50 issues and the colour of Invincible was always one of the high points.
Overall, this issue may have seemed like a good idea in theory and maybe Kirkman thought he had something to prove but ultimately, he is only proven wrong. You can't do a crossover event of this scale in one issue, not with only 30 pages to work with. Hopefully this was a one time deal and Kirkman abandons the gimmicks and goes back to telling some of the best superhero stories of the 21st Century.

Story - 5
Art - 7
Overall - 6
THE ENTHUSIAST: The Internet's Premier Hate Free Zone!

| Website | Twitter | Facebook |

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 77 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:42 pm

I thought this was great!

But, Rex? No!

Bob_at_york
Rorshach Test Subject

Postby Bob_at_york » Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:47 pm

Punchy wrote:I thought this was great!

But, Rex? No!

a lot of damage to the characters and the world. I am curious how long it would take him to fix everything if he flew around and tried to fix everything. Also I am curious: Is the Immortal dead? His head was ripped off his body. I am also curious when we will see the "Invincible" who went to the dark dimension again.
Should I post here?

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 362 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:47 pm

Man lots of great choices for next week.

On the impossible to find front there is
The Muppet Show #1
The Incredibles #1
But both of those are in monthly comic box.

Dark Reign Elektra #1
Proof #18
Planetary #1(reprint) for a $1
Top 10 Special #1

Hmmm gonna have to think about this for a while.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Greg
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 3 posts
Title: AKA The Hidden Hands of Horror

Postby Greg » Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:50 pm

I like the idea of Proof #18. :D

KING King Impulse
Teenage Wasteland

Postby KING King Impulse » Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:52 pm

Punchy wrote:I thought this was great!

But, Rex? No!

I thought it had the potential to be great, but if anything, it proved why crossovers exist.

He survived being shot in the head, he can survive this!

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 362 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:56 pm

Greg wrote:I like the idea of Proof #18. :D

It's one of my favorite books, I own the cover to issue 8. And I picked Proof a while ago so who knows.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:00 pm

Bob_at_york wrote:a lot of damage to the characters and the world. I am curious how long it would take him to fix everything if he flew around and tried to fix everything. Also I am curious: Is the Immortal dead? His head was ripped off his body. I am also curious when we will see the "Invincible" who went to the dark dimension again.

Immortal has had his head ripped off before!

KING King Impulse
Teenage Wasteland

Postby KING King Impulse » Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:20 pm

I support either of the BOOM! #1's

Postby ****** » Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:29 pm

I don't give two shits about Elektra or Dark Reign, but the creative team on that book is solid. I kind of want to see if Clay Mann is really as good as that fill-in issue he did on Daredevil or if that was just Guiadano's inks.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:32 pm

amlah6 wrote:I don't give two shits about Elektra or Dark Reign, but the creative team on that book is solid. I kind of want to see if Clay Mann is really as good as that fill-in issue he did on Daredevil or if that was just Guiadano's inks.

Was that the issue with naked Dakota North?

It was awesome.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand