Advertisement

Review Group Week 162 - INVINCIBLE #60

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Liked in: 0 post

Postby ****** » Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:51 pm

Bob_at_york wrote:What about Mark's Mom? Do you think she made it through it all unhurt? With the way all those Invicibles were talking, I wouldn't be surprised if one took a shot at her.

I would think if something had happened to her it would have been in there, but on the other hand Youngblood really needed that half page spread.

Advertisement

KING King Impulse
Teenage Wasteland

Title: The Prodigal Son
Formerly: King Impulse

Postby KING King Impulse » Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:52 pm

[spoiler="The Immortal"]Remember that we've seen Mark kill The Immortal in the future[/spoiler]
THE ENTHUSIAST: The Internet's Premier Hate Free Zone!

| Website | Twitter | Facebook |

Postby ****** » Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:53 pm

Punchy wrote:Well, our Invincible is the Prime one, these guys are the other versions from lame universes like the 616 or 712 something.

It doesn't matter what technical universe they're from, they're the same emo-angsty characters as Superboy Prime.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 3 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:54 pm

amlah6 wrote:It doesn't matter what technical universe they're from, they're the same emo-angsty characters as Superboy Prime.

And our Invincible isn't emo-angsty? :P

Postby ****** » Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:55 pm

Kid Impulse wrote:Did you see the Phonogram v2 #2 page!? :-D

If he posted a link probably, but I don't remember it.

Postby ****** » Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:57 pm

Punchy wrote:And our Invincible isn't emo-angsty? :P

Only a tolerable amount... of course I haven't read any Invincible since #36 so maybe things have changed. :P

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 3 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:59 pm

amlah6 wrote:Only a tolerable amount... of course I haven't read any Invincible since #36 so maybe things have changed. :P

He's actually not as emo as he could be, compared to other teen heroes, he's positively emotionless, look at Spider-Man (original or Ultimate), Young Avengers or Teen Titans, all they do is moan and moan, Mark gets shit done.

Bob_at_york
Rorshach Test Subject

Postby Bob_at_york » Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:00 pm

amlah6 wrote:I would think if something had happened to her it would have been in there, but on the other hand Youngblood really needed that half page spread.

Robert says he wishs he could have had more room for all the other characters, including Youngblood. But isn't that just it. How shocking would it be if we are sitting here assuming she is alright and then we find out that because he never checked on her, she died.
Should I post here?

Daringd
Review Grouper

Postby Daringd » Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:43 pm

Invincible #60: Kirkman/Ottley Image $3.99
Last issue gave us a false sense of safety this issue took it all away. The only problem I had was that the big ass reveal in issue 58 should have come in issue 52 to make us really not expect this. Kind of a Sinestro Corps build up. But Kirkman pulled it off. Ottley brings in some amazing art best he’s given us to date. All of it clicks if Kirkman keeps this up it might be book of the year.
9/10

KING King Impulse
Teenage Wasteland

Title: The Prodigal Son
Formerly: King Impulse

Postby KING King Impulse » Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:58 pm

Bob_at_york wrote:Robert says he wishs he could have had more room for all the other characters, including Youngblood. But isn't that just it. How shocking would it be if we are sitting here assuming she is alright and then we find out that because he never checked on her, she died.

What could he have done to keep her alive though?
THE ENTHUSIAST: The Internet's Premier Hate Free Zone!

| Website | Twitter | Facebook |

malcolm reynolds
Garbage Collector

Title: creep
Formerly: young neil

Postby malcolm reynolds » Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:58 pm

I'll be getting this in my BOC for this month, but I was going to double dip, but I'm having a little trouble finding it. Still have a couple of days though :D

McKegan
Zombie Guard

Postby McKegan » Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:38 am

Was going to pass since I too read Invincible in the ultimate HCs. It's been preordered from Amazon for about a year now.

I ended up picking it up figuring it would stand-alone well enough. And it did, for the most part.

It was great to see the return of Langstrom, and the parallel Marks, but the story itself was a bit flimsy. The appearance of other Image 'icons' does add to the scope of the story but that's about it. Since I'm so far behind what's been going on that I didn't always understand how the supporting characters had changed and that probable blunted the impact ofntheirnseperate fates. In the end, the story was just a bunch of fisticuffs with a few cool moments (Rex's sacrifice) but little in the way of character.

The art was awesome as always. Some of the inking rendered the faces strangely but the coloring was amazing. Why can't all super hero comics look this great.

Story: 6
Art:9
Over-all: 7.5

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 14 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:46 pm

So any more weighing in before I make my decision about next week?
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Postby ****** » Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:53 pm

guitarsmashley wrote:So any more weighing in before I make my decision about next week?

I think we done weighed. Now pick something I'm reading in trades already, I know you want to.

Flynn the Pirate

Postby Flynn the Pirate » Fri Mar 20, 2009 3:05 pm

I've never read Invincible before. Or rather, not really read. I think I perused the first trade back in the day, but since I don't remember being all that impressed, I didn't stick with it. I say that to say that I am going to try reviewing this issue with only the barest of backgrounds in Invincible's story.

In theory, the plot by Angstrom (I think that's his name, since I don't have the book sitting in front of me) of picking up different versions of the title character to sick on the rest of the world is a good one. And I like the idea of an Image superhero crossover to deal with the problem - if for no other reason than my favorite comic book right now (Dynamo5) would get to be included. But this didn't feel like a crossover. This felt, to me, like a bunch of snapshots or clips. It didn't feel like "the crossover of the decade", perhaps because there were a lot of characters I didn't know, but also because it didn't feel like the sort of thing that every superhero in the Image universe had to get in on. Which is a shame, because again, the plot was such that it seemed to necessitate it.

Of course, the reason for this was squeezing it all into one giant issue. Again, it sounds like a nice idea and it definitely has a really nifty pitch, but in the end there was just way, way, WAY too much going on and way too many characters for one issue to do any justice to. Heck, it even seemed like Invincible himself became a supporting cast-member in his own book.

The artwork was fantastic though. I really did like the bright colors, as opposed to the various hues of gunmetal or dirt that so many comics like to use today. Ottley and Plascencia definitely won me over as a fan on that front.

I would love to have seen this actually play out. I would probably have even picked up some of the other titles if this had played out like an actual crossover event. And maybe my lack of exposure to Invincible is getting in the way of me giving this book high honors.

5 out of 10 for Invincible #60 - not too bad, not too good, but at least it was something...

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand