Advertisement

Review Group Week 162 - INVINCIBLE #60

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

GLX
User avatar
Outhouse Editor
 
Posts: 38730
Likes: 1 post
Liked in: 51 posts
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:40 pm
Title: Leader of The Society


Postby GLX » Fri Mar 20, 2009 3:42 pm

guitarsmashley wrote:So any more weighing in before I make my decision about next week?


Eh. Go with Proof.
Image

john lewis wrote:Everyone but GLX has no taste.

Advertisement

guitarsmashley
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 15851
Likes: 156 posts
Liked in: 192 posts
Joined: Sun Apr 02, 2006 12:53 pm
Title: Self Important


Postby guitarsmashley » Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:45 pm

Having just read a preview of Muppet show it's a frontrunner over incredibles and Top 10. But that Elektra preview also looked damn fine. Hmmmmmmm
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.


doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk



I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Image

48THRiLLS
User avatar
Review Grouper
 
Posts: 3223
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:40 pm
Location: Stumptown
Title: Outhouse resident punk rocker
Formerly: cool


Postby 48THRiLLS » Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:54 pm

I am down for the Muppets just for Statler and Waldorf... I don't know if my shop will have it, but I am willing to take that risk with this endorsement.

guitarsmashley
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 15851
Likes: 156 posts
Liked in: 192 posts
Joined: Sun Apr 02, 2006 12:53 pm
Title: Self Important


Postby guitarsmashley » Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:09 pm

48THRiLLS wrote:I am down for the Muppets just for Statler and Waldorf... I don't know if my shop will have it, but I am willing to take that risk with this endorsement.


And it's coming in my box so it may or may not get here in time....

Ok I've made my pick.


Image

I expect full fledged anarchy and hatred for this pick...It may score lower than franklin but I don't care it looks like way too much fun.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.


doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk



I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Image

48THRiLLS
User avatar
Review Grouper
 
Posts: 3223
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:40 pm
Location: Stumptown
Title: Outhouse resident punk rocker
Formerly: cool


Postby 48THRiLLS » Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:36 pm

[youtube=425,344,6EK-4KEKsLM][/youtube]

******
 
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 59 posts


Postby ****** » Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:58 pm

Just as we've always known, Yoni not so secretly hates us. :(

I went ahead and ordered Muppet Show at MyComicShop.com. Shipping is $2 for anyone else interested in taking that route. At least Yoni saved me a trip to a LCS next week. :? :wink:

When people have trouble finding the issue at their LCS next week (I think about 1 in 8 shops carry BOOM! titles in the OKC metro), substitute reviews of a book of your choice or posting clips of your favorite Muppets episodes can count as your reviews.

guitarsmashley
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 15851
Likes: 156 posts
Liked in: 192 posts
Joined: Sun Apr 02, 2006 12:53 pm
Title: Self Important


Postby guitarsmashley » Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:02 pm

amlah6 wrote:Just as we've always known, Yoni not so secretly hates us. :(

I went ahead and ordered Muppet Show at MyComicShop.com. Shipping is $2 for anyone else interested in taking that route. At least Yoni saved me a trip to a LCS next week. :? :wink:

When people have trouble finding the issue at their LCS next week (I think about 1 in 8 shops carry BOOM! titles in the OKC metro), substitute reviews of a book of your choice or posting clips of your favorite Muppets episodes can count as your reviews.


I would also of course suggest "other" means of finding the book. Then again I might change my mind...
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.


doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk



I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Image

guitarsmashley
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 15851
Likes: 156 posts
Liked in: 192 posts
Joined: Sun Apr 02, 2006 12:53 pm
Title: Self Important


Postby guitarsmashley » Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:07 pm

Here's the first 11 pages
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.


doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk



I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Image

KING King Impulse
User avatar
Teenage Wasteland
 
Posts: 8585
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:53 am
Location: England
Title: The Prodigal Son
Formerly: King Impulse


Postby KING King Impulse » Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:16 am

Fantastic choice, Landridge is a fantastic cartoonist. I'm really looking forward to this.
THE ENTHUSIAST: The Internet's Premier Hate Free Zone!

| Website | Twitter | Facebook |

Punchy
User avatar
Staff Writer
 
Posts: 34381
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 47 posts
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:27 am
Location: UK
Title: Shitlord


Postby Punchy » Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:15 am

Invincible #60 - 'Invincible War!' - Kirkman, Ottley, Rathburn & Plascencia

Story - Holy Fuck, that was different huh? Invincible is normally a book which features slow moving subplots and character development, but this was something else entirely. Kirkman was attempting to do a whole crossover event in one issue, and I think he mostly succeeded, you could recognise a lot of the beats he was homaging/mocking from stuff like Crisis or Secret Wars, the heroic sacrifice, the injured love interest, the massive team up, it was very clever, and very well done, but I think what makes it interesting is that with Invincible, it's a creator-owned book and universe, and the changes will stick indefinitely, and not be gone by next year. Yes, it was kind of confusing and jumpy, but it worked, you know how Grant Morrison claimed he was writing Final Crisis to be like channel-zapping and only getting a snippet of each scene, but he was actually spewing out crap? Kirkman succeeded here where Morrison failed, you really felt the scale and unpredictability of the multi-Invincible attack, anyone could die. and you might not necessarily see it. Another factor adding to this unpredictability was the usage of the other Image characters, yes while it may be a gimmick to get more sales (my LCS certainly had more copies of this issue than any other previously) but it showed how widespread the attack was, plus, as a fan, it did make me feel happy in a guilty nerdy way, like OMG! Spawn! Youngblood! Awesome! With these characters it's quite rare for them actually to meet, as opposed to Marvel or DC, so a crossover is actually interesting, and Kirkman managed it well, this was still an Invincible story, and the cameos were used effectively.
Overall this was a great issue, which really shook up the Invincible world, almost as much as the Omni-Man reveal back in #8, this is the advantage of creator-owned books, the creators can do what they want, and this was like the end of the Prison arc in Walking Dead on steroids, a unique reading experience and I can't wait to see where Kirkman takes this.

Art - You know how I said that Kirkman succeeded where Morrison failed, well a lot of that was due to the artistic strengths of Ryan Ottley, as opposed to the mess that was Final Crisis art-wise, Ottley is a fantastic artist, everything he draws is spot on, and I now I can't imagine anyone else drawing Invincible, which is a great achievement when you consider how strong Cory Walker's initial work on the series was, the book wouldn't be half as good without Ottley, I should also comment on the colours of Fco Plascencia, Bill Crabtree's colouring was a very important part of this book, but Plascencia has done an excellent job of replacing Crabtree, it meshes perfectly with Ottley.

Best Line - 'My skeleton'

8/10

48THRiLLS
User avatar
Review Grouper
 
Posts: 3223
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:40 pm
Location: Stumptown
Title: Outhouse resident punk rocker
Formerly: cool


Postby 48THRiLLS » Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:06 am

Punchy wrote:Invincible #60 - 'Invincible War!' - Kirkman, Ottley, Rathburn & Plascencia

Story - Holy Fuck, that was different huh? Invincible is normally a book which features slow moving subplots and character development, but this was something else entirely. Kirkman was attempting to do a whole crossover event in one issue, and I think he mostly succeeded, you could recognise a lot of the beats he was homaging/mocking from stuff like Crisis or Secret Wars, the heroic sacrifice, the injured love interest, the massive team up, it was very clever, and very well done, but I think what makes it interesting is that with Invincible, it's a creator-owned book and universe, and the changes will stick indefinitely, and not be gone by next year. Yes, it was kind of confusing and jumpy, but it worked, you know how Grant Morrison claimed he was writing Final Crisis to be like channel-zapping and only getting a snippet of each scene, but he was actually spewing out crap? Kirkman succeeded here where Morrison failed, you really felt the scale and unpredictability of the multi-Invincible attack, anyone could die. and you might not necessarily see it. Another factor adding to this unpredictability was the usage of the other Image characters, yes while it may be a gimmick to get more sales (my LCS certainly had more copies of this issue than any other previously) but it showed how widespread the attack was, plus, as a fan, it did make me feel happy in a guilty nerdy way, like OMG! Spawn! Youngblood! Awesome! With these characters it's quite rare for them actually to meet, as opposed to Marvel or DC, so a crossover is actually interesting, and Kirkman managed it well, this was still an Invincible story, and the cameos were used effectively.
Overall this was a great issue, which really shook up the Invincible world, almost as much as the Omni-Man reveal back in #8, this is the advantage of creator-owned books, the creators can do what they want, and this was like the end of the Prison arc in Walking Dead on steroids, a unique reading experience and I can't wait to see where Kirkman takes this.

Art - You know how I said that Kirkman succeeded where Morrison failed, well a lot of that was due to the artistic strengths of Ryan Ottley, as opposed to the mess that was Final Crisis art-wise, Ottley is a fantastic artist, everything he draws is spot on, and I now I can't imagine anyone else drawing Invincible, which is a great achievement when you consider how strong Cory Walker's initial work on the series was, the book wouldn't be half as good without Ottley, I should also comment on the colours of Fco Plascencia, Bill Crabtree's colouring was a very important part of this book, but Plascencia has done an excellent job of replacing Crabtree, it meshes perfectly with Ottley.

Best Line - 'My skeleton'

8/10


While I pretty much agree with your whole review, I just felt that it was too much for one book. I really think it would have made more of an impact if done over a few issues.
Best Line - 'Holy Fuck'

thefourthman
User avatar
Outhouse Editor
 
Posts: 26553
Likes: 44 posts
Liked in: 23 posts
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:02 pm
Location: durham, nc
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom


Postby thefourthman » Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:10 am

guitarsmashley wrote:Man lots of great choices for next week.

On the impossible to find front there is
The Muppet Show #1
The Incredibles #1

But both of those are in monthly comic box.

Dark Reign Elektra #1
Proof #18
Planetary #1(reprint) for a $1
Top 10 Special #1

Hmmm gonna have to think about this for a while.

neither of those should be difficult to find. Unless all the stores in the country are STUPID. We are going to have an exclusive to the Muppets!

Punchy
User avatar
Staff Writer
 
Posts: 34381
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 47 posts
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:27 am
Location: UK
Title: Shitlord


Postby Punchy » Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:13 am

48THRiLLS wrote:While I pretty much agree with your whole review, I just felt that it was too much for one book. I really think it would have made more of an impact if done over a few issues.
Best Line - 'Holy Fuck'


I think a lot of what made this work was that it was all over in 30 pages, it would lose it's impact and what made it difference if it was 2 parts.

thefourthman
User avatar
Outhouse Editor
 
Posts: 26553
Likes: 44 posts
Liked in: 23 posts
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:02 pm
Location: durham, nc
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom


Postby thefourthman » Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:14 am

I will get a GOTG review up sometime this weekend. Invincible is getting written currently so linkage when it is live...
Story 4
Art 8
Overall 6

stupid choppy story.

thefourthman
User avatar
Outhouse Editor
 
Posts: 26553
Likes: 44 posts
Liked in: 23 posts
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:02 pm
Location: durham, nc
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom


Postby thefourthman » Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:15 am

Punchy wrote:I think a lot of what made this work was that it was all over in 30 pages, it would lose it's impact and what made it difference if it was 2 parts.

It should have been a OGN. About 54 pages. That's what was needed.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: doombug, Google [Bot] and 87 guests

Advertisement