Advertisement

Review Group Week 162 - INVINCIBLE #60

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

GOSD
Everybody lies!

Liked in: 130 posts
Title: Lick me!
Formerly: Ghost of Scooterdoom

Postby GOSD » Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:45 pm

I bought 2 copies each of all of Boom's new "kid" titles for both of my kids.

Hope they're good.

Invincible #60 was great. I'll give it a 7 just because it should have been a 2 parter.

Advertisement

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 1 post

Postby Starlord » Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:20 am

The Muppet Show! Great choice! :-D

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 177 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:38 am

starlord wrote:The Muppet Show! Great choice! :-D

I am aware.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 1 post

Postby Starlord » Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:39 am

guitarsmashley wrote:I am awesome & hung.

fixed for accuracy. ;-)

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 177 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:15 am

starlord wrote:fixed for accuracy. ;-)

still got that tickle in your throat huh?
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

malcolm reynolds
Garbage Collector

Liked in: 0 post
Title: creep
Formerly: young neil

Postby malcolm reynolds » Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:06 am

INVINCIBLE #60

This week’s review group selection is Invincible #60. This issue is a "done-in-one crossover event" with Spawn, Witchblade and an onslaught of other Image superheroes making appearances. In this issue we see the return of Angstrom Levy who brings with him an army of Invincible's evil counterparts from alternate dimensions.

There is an almost over-powering amount of characters in this issue, and to someone not having a solid knowledge of the Image universe could get lost very easily. That being said the issue can still be enjoyed for what it’s trying to do, “a done in one cross over event”. I do however feel like this could have benefited from either being a two-parter or maybe an original graphic novel that tagged onto the ongoing storyline. There was a lot to take in, and I for one would have loved to have seen this storyline dragged out a little; see some of the individual battles, make some of the deaths a little more meaningful, etc.

Angstrom Levy cements himself as a formidable enemy in this issue, and Kid Omni Man points out an interesting observation; “you thought you’d already killed him, if you had this wouldn’t have happened. It’ll be interesting to see if that takes a toll on Mark in the upcoming months.
Ryan Ottley and Cliff Rathburn do an amazing job bringing this issue to life. The daunting task of creating twenty incarnations of the one superhero is pulled off flawlessly. Not to mention having to draw the multitude of other characters we see making an appearance in this issue. The Day three and Day four panels were incredible and spoke volumes with no words necessary.

This wasn’t my favourite issue of invincible by far, but it was a great gimmick and I hope it brought a few new-comers to this book. Next month we’re in for it as we pick up the pieces in issue 61.

Story – 6.5
Art - 8
Overall – 7.25

Favourite part: Madman trying to strangle one of the alternate Invincible’s with his yo-yo.

Chubbles
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Chubbles » Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:12 am

Invincible review

I was expecting big things with this one and although the story didn't quite live up to those expectations I did enjoy the book. I'll go ahead and also echo some of what other people are saying in that this should have been at the very least a few issues long. I would have preferred they had gone the crossover route since there was so much that I think we missed out on. The issue hyped up a big crossover with tons of guest appearances but hardly any of those characters had any significant 'screen time'. If you read the letters page Kirkman himself said that this might have played out better as a big crossover and even gave credit to other companies who constantly have to organize these things and how hard they really are. Kirkman is a big supporter of indy stuff but what I like about him is he also gives credit where it's due. The art however is where this issue excelled. This is one of the best drawn issues of Invincible that I've seen in quite some time and some of these panels had so much going on and everything lived up to a high quality. The cover is a great cover and the interiors (including the coloring) was excellent. This issue failed to live up to my lofty expectations but is still going to receive a favorable score as I did get enough enjoyment out of it.

Story 6
Art 9
Overall 7.5

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 50 posts

Postby doombug » Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:08 pm

Wow, just wow. Kirman really hit on all points and this was a really packed issue. Plenty of characters get some spotlight and not all the invincibles live up to their names. Sadly due to the war we lose some characters in surprising ways. The art is top notch as usual and it proves to be one of the best hero books on the stands.

I give it a solid 9, point off for doing some scenes like final crisis where stuff happens off panel.

SuperginraiX
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 57 posts
Title: unpronounceable
Formerly: Sane

Official SuperginraiX Review

Postby SuperginraiX » Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:21 am

Apparently, the Invincible War leads to massive nose bleeds.

I've never really been able to get into Invincible. Well, Robert Kirkman in general, actually. I can't say I've given Invincible more than a quick glance. I was recommended the first trade and told that I wouldn't be able to put it down and would devour the rest of the series but I never got that. It wasn't terrible, It wasn't awesome. There were some good scenes but there was also some sort of disconnect in the work that just didn't click with me. I always meant to give the second trade a try but it never really seemed that pressing.

So, I skip ahead to issue sixty. The good news is that I knew some of the characters from that first trade. The art has taken a massive step up. The story... meh. It's ambitious, that's for certain, but when your guest stars outnumber your page count, you're going to have trouble. Trouble there is a plenty. Many times I thought I must have skipped a page because events didn't flow into the next event at all. I still have no clue what motivated Invincible to act at the end. He went from being determined to be at his girl's side to all up in the bad guy's grill with no inbetween state (unless I actually DID skip a page). The guest stars are mostly page fillers and that's fine with me. I truthfully didn't know who were homegrown heroes and who were other Image characters in some instances. That's more because I don't really read that much Image, though.

Art is great but more gory than I care for. I'm totally about the double standard because I've probably drawn things more gory than what's on the page. It's more to do with context in most cases. Also, it's not a great idea to have multiple bad guys wearing similar costumes to the hero. I know that's the whole POINT behind this war: people will lose trust in Invincible... but, visually, it backfires on new readers. Maybe the coloring could have made the distinction more clear. Still, art is the saving grace on this issue.

Writing is on a disjointed fast forward that, again, is ambitious but ultimately a failing feature. The best scene is the scene between Invincible and Atom Eve in the beginning where he's asking to meet her parents. I bet this book rocks on character moments but this particular issue doesn't really DO that many of them.

If anything, this made me interested enough in the character to go reread the first trade. It's better now than it was then but I'm still not running down to the comic shop to pick up the second trade. Maybe if I find it discounted.

Invincible, you get a 6. Not brilliant at all. Not a good first issue for anyone. Still, above average enough that I wanted to read the first trade again.

Liked in: 59 posts

Postby ****** » Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:41 am

15 reviews so far, that's the best turnout we've had in 30 weeks. 8)

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 43 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:01 am

amlah6 wrote:15 reviews so far, that's the best turnout we've had in 30 weeks. 8)

Maybe Muppets will get even more! :wink:

Postby ****** » Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:02 am

Punchy wrote:Maybe Muppets will get even more! :wink:

I'm just hoping it matches the turnout for Amber Atoms.

Postby ****** » Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:44 am

Hermit_Sage

Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 8 posts
Title: OH Elections Commissioner
Formerly: The Middle Sage, Phenomenal Sire

The Muppet Show!?

Postby Hermit_Sage » Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:44 am

Muppets!?

really! oh come on seriously!?

in these hard economic times we are seriously making people buy that?

wow
Last edited by Hermit_Sage on Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hermit_Sage

Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 8 posts
Title: OH Elections Commissioner
Formerly: The Middle Sage, Phenomenal Sire

Postby Hermit_Sage » Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:45 am

p.s. I read invincible in trades and I am not jumping ahead.

tell their asses to get to work releasing trades already!

still waiting for Vol. 10

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand