Thursday, August 17, 2017 • Afternoon Edition • "Bring your own straight jacket."

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

The Random Chat Thread: we come in peace...

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

User avatar

Peter-J-DeadPoole

penile prisoner

Postby Peter-J-DeadPoole » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:26 pm

Flamebird wrote:

Matt Smith was "The Last doctor" and he found Gallifrey. They are the one's that gave him a whole new set of re-generations ( or more; the Doctor wasn't even sure).
Then, the Capaldi Doctor, actually goes back to Galiffrey; he just takes a really roundabout way to get there.

Basically Moffat is an ego-maniac that "had" to be the one to deal with the last doctor; so he forced the issue; and now he's pretty much thrown the limit away so that any new creative teams will have to specifically write it in if they want him to have a limit back. It was a stupid thing to do, but were stuck with it; so it's easier at this point to stop caring what number doctor we're watching and just hope whoever is steering the Tardis doesn't hit a space-iceberg.


1) yup, there seems to be enough in-show factors to support that idea

2) that too! :derp:
User avatar

Peter-J-DeadPoole

penile prisoner

Postby Peter-J-DeadPoole » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:27 pm

Flamebird wrote:RE: the blackout part
No, no it's not. . . :twisted:


last i knew,it was...
did they retcon it?
:evil:
User avatar

Flamebird

phrase IV

Postby Flamebird » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:34 pm

Peter-J-DeadPoole wrote:
i don't think he's been in any of the 'NUwho' ive seen so far, and thats everything up-to season 8.
last time i recall seeing him was back with the 5th Dr.! but i skipped from the end of #5 (although i did see a sneak-peek of#6 at a con a LONG time ago) to 8th (USA movie), then to Eccleston.



He was in the David Tennant two-parter; the Stolen Earth/Journey's End along with the oh, so whiny Rose.
User avatar

Flamebird

phrase IV

Postby Flamebird » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:46 pm

Peter-J-DeadPoole wrote:
last i knew,it was...
did they retcon it?
:evil:


Nope. The little trip into the time war via the painting also let them change the outcome of the war so that Gallifrey went into hiding from the universe rather than being destroyed. Now, the fact that he changed a "fixed point in time" as well as changing it inside a a time-lock. . . :smt017 :smt102 :roll:
User avatar

Peter-J-DeadPoole

penile prisoner

Postby Peter-J-DeadPoole » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:55 pm

Flamebird wrote:
Nope. The little trip into the time war via the painting also let them change the outcome of the war so that Gallifrey went into hiding from the universe rather than being destroyed. Now, the fact that he changed a "fixed point in time" as well as changing it inside a a time-lock. . . :smt017 :smt102 :roll:


...oooooohh SNAP!!
:shock:
User avatar

Papa Emeritus III

Great Scott!!!

Postby Papa Emeritus III » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:56 pm

Earth-2 NoctourneM wrote:until they figure out how to give him 13 more.


In Smith's finale before he regenerated he said he was given an entire new regen cycle.
User avatar

uz000

Swedish Pinata of Death

Postby uz000 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:16 pm

Flamebird wrote:
Nope. The little trip into the time war via the painting also let them change the outcome of the war so that Gallifrey went into hiding from the universe rather than being destroyed. Now, the fact that he changed a "fixed point in time" as well as changing it inside a a time-lock. . . :smt017 :smt102 :roll:


Timey whimey!!!!!

;)
User avatar

Rebirth NoctourneM

Silly French Man

Postby Rebirth NoctourneM » Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:24 pm

Flamebird wrote:
Nope. The little trip into the time war via the painting also let them change the outcome of the war so that Gallifrey went into hiding from the universe rather than being destroyed. Now, the fact that he changed a "fixed point in time" as well as changing it inside a a time-lock. . . :smt017 :smt102 :roll:


Smith/Moffat at their worst, IMO
User avatar

Rebirth NoctourneM

Silly French Man

Postby Rebirth NoctourneM » Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:25 pm

Papa Emeritus III wrote:
In Smith's finale before he regenerated he said he was given an entire new regen cycle.


I think I vaguely recall that, i'm indifferent to SMith anyways. Really getting excited for no Moffat though!

Fysh

cheese

Postby Fysh » Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:29 pm

In practical terms, there's a point where if the guys who are steering the show say "everything that ever happened, even the stuff that contradicts other stuff, is canon" there's not a great deal of point in hoping that it all makes sense as though it were planned to fit together ahead of time. This doesn't excuse sloppy or lazy writing, and I'm not saying it isn't frustrating, but by now with NuWho at least I think it's clear that the showrunners are taking this attitude (AFAIK Davies was the same before Moffat took over, and I don't know if Chibnall has commented on the state of the canon so far - though he's reportedly a longtime fan so you never know, he might try to tighten things up a bit...).

As for They Who Were Mentioned In Spoiler Text, I'm sure they've been around at least twice in NuWho (probably more if you're counting the number of episodes in which they appeared).
User avatar

Peter-J-DeadPoole

penile prisoner

Postby Peter-J-DeadPoole » Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:30 pm

uz000 wrote:
Timey whimey!!!!!

;)


that should be the new short/catch-phrase for 'phoning-it-in' or 'lazy writing'!!
:smt023
User avatar

Peter-J-DeadPoole

penile prisoner

Postby Peter-J-DeadPoole » Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:36 pm

Earth-2 NoctourneM wrote:
I think I vaguely recall that, i'm indifferent to SMith anyways. Really getting excited for no Moffat though!


i've been pretty indifferent to the love/hate of certain actors OR Moffat...
until the numbering thing and some other recent crap. but i still don't hate on Moff-man as much as some people!

if i had to pick a fave doctor it would be Tom Baker (oldeskoole) & Eccleston (NuWho). the former made it WAY fun, and the latter was CRUCIAL for bringing Dr.Who back and post-War Dr.
runner-ups are Peter Davison & Tennant, even my wife loathes the Smith-era.
User avatar

Rebirth NoctourneM

Silly French Man

Postby Rebirth NoctourneM » Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:38 pm

Peter-J-DeadPoole wrote:
i've been pretty indifferent to the love/hate of certain actors of Moffat...
until the numbering thing and some other recent crap. but i still dont hate on Moff-man as much as some people!

if i had to pick a fave doctor it would be Tom Baker (oldeskoole) & Eccleston (NuWho). the former made it WAY fun, and the latter was CRUCIAL for bringing Dr.Who back and post-War Dr.
runner-ups are Peter Davison & Tennant, even my wife loathes the Smith-era.


Yeah, it wasn't a great era. It had the worst weeping Angels episodes, for example.
User avatar

Peter-J-DeadPoole

penile prisoner

Postby Peter-J-DeadPoole » Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:42 pm

Fysh wrote:In practical terms, there's a point where if the guys who are steering the show say "everything that ever happened, even the stuff that contradicts other stuff, is canon" there's not a great deal of point in hoping that it all makes sense as though it were planned to fit together ahead of time. This doesn't excuse sloppy or lazy writing, and I'm not saying it isn't frustrating, but by now with NuWho at least I think it's clear that the showrunners are taking this attitude (AFAIK Davies was the same before Moffat took over, and I don't know if Chibnall has commented on the state of the canon so far - though he's reportedly a longtime fan so you never know, he might try to tighten things up a bit...).

As for They Who Were Mentioned In Spoiler Text, I'm sure they've been around at least twice in NuWho (probably more if you're counting the number of episodes in which they appeared).


but that's part of what made Dr.Who rise above all other shows IMO.
IF things don't makes sense, or are broken, they eventually get back to it and make something up to explain it... and then we get to go "fuckin' awesome!!". heck, some of the coolest stuff came from mistake that had to be 'fixed',and i just LOVE that. non-bbc shows do have been failing at that for decades, but doing better for the fans is what made me a Dr.who fan. when they do that,it gives me genuine chills and thrills, and i KNOW they put in the extra effort as fans themselves. faith in that is how i stick with them through one weird situation after another.its a trust that money cant buy,and without it... meh.

i vaguely recall him being in nuWho now, but i thought i was only a mention. i really need to stop punching myself in the head so often.

Fysh

cheese

Postby Fysh » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:07 pm

Peter-J-DeadPoole wrote:
but that's part of what made Dr.Who rise above all other shows IMO.
IF things don't makes sense, or are broken, they eventually get back to it and make something up to explain it... and then we get to go "fuckin' awesome!!". heck, some of the coolest stuff came from mistake that had to be 'fixed',and i just LOVE that. non-bbc shows do have been failing at that for decades, but doing better for the fans is what made me a Dr.who fan. when they do that,it gives me genuine chills and thrills, and i KNOW they put in the extra effort as fans themselves. faith in that is how i stick with them through one weird situation after another.its a trust that money cant buy,and without it... meh.

i vaguely recall him being in nuWho now, but i thought i was only a mention. i really need to stop punching myself in the head so often.


If you've been following it for a long time and are used to things eventually being addressed in some fashion I can certainly see it being annoying. Hopefully Chibnall will find a way of balancing the stylistic tendencies of NuWho with greater concern for the overall continuity.

I'm sure I saw some bits of Who as a kid, but I'm very much a recent viewer, so that in part makes it easier for me to not get too frustrated when things don't make sense. There are a few hardcore Whovians who are a bit...intense, though -I remember chatting with one guy once who was adamant that the way to "save/fix" Who was to take a hard-sci-fi approach, and treat it as a semi-reboot. Don't get me wrong, I'm a sucker for good hard-sci-fi, but talk about the wrong franchise for that kind of idea...

leave a comment with facebook


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BarrySagittarius, Captain Birdseye, FaceBook [Linkcheck], Google [Bot], Rebirth NoctourneM and 75 guests