Monday, May 29, 2017 • Midnight Edition • "Better than Bleeding Cool by that much."

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

Larry Hama Has Some Strong Words For Roy Thomas

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron

Rain Partier

Postby LOLtron » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:31 pm

Thomas recently said " people began making me aware of the fact that some people are complaining...about cultural appropriation and crap like that, which just makes me furious."

Source: Facebook

Larry Hama is an American comic book writer and artist, who has worked on X-Men, Batman, and Daredevil, but is best known for his 250+ run on GI Joe over 30 years. He's also a Vietnam war veteran, tv actor on MASH and SNL, and martial artist who studied judo, Japanese archery and swordmanship.

Roy Thomas is an American comic book writer and editor, who was Stan Lee's first successor as editor-in-chief of Marvel Comics. He introduced Conan The Barbarian to American comics and had lengthy runs on X-Men and Avengers. He's co-created Man-Thing, The Vision, Carol Danvers, and Iron Fist, which is what we're all here for today.

Thomas gave an interview recently about his feelings on Iron Fist's whiteness and the idea of cultural appropriation. One choice quote being:

You know, cultural appropriation, my god. It's just an adventure story. Don't these people have something better to do than to worry about the fact that Iron Fist isn't Oriental, or whatever word? I know Oriental isn't the right word now, either.

Hama didn't take to lightly to Thomas' remarks, posting "Hey, fuck Roy Thomas" on Facebook.

LH1.png 

Other comic creators weighed in, including Fabian Nicieza, who Hama managed to bring over to his side.

LH2.png

Hama also explained how he has became inured with the world's pronunciation of certain words.

LH3.png

Hama clarified that his issue wasn't Thomas' use of the word oriental.

LH4.png

Hama mentions that he's not for changing the lead, but against dissing Asians for being upset over cultural appropriation.

LH5.png

Gerry Conway had a short response to Hama.

LH6.png

LH7.png

In closing, Hama reiterated that he was fine with the casting.

LH8.png

TL;DR Larry Hama is mad at Roy Thomas for his attitude over cultural appropriation.

Written or Contributed by Tim Midura

READ THIS ARTICLE ON THE FRONT PAGE, HUMANS!

cbikle

dINGO

Postby cbikle » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:06 pm

Larry Hama is wrong in this.

Roy Thomas was dismissive of cultural appropriation only in the context of whether it applied to Iron Fist.

achilles

Hopscotch

Postby achilles » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:12 pm

Hama seems mainly pissed that Thomas was a dick to him long ago, and is getting payback when the opportunity arrived. Well, my take anyway.

OneWhoIsAll

Great Scott!!!

Postby OneWhoIsAll » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:30 pm

Not surprise by the comments so far.

Picture above is totally unrelated. Now back writing my Captain Planet fanfiction.

achilles

Hopscotch

Postby achilles » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:35 pm

OneWhoIsAll wrote:Not surprise by the comments so far.

Picture above is totally unrelated. Now back writing my Captain Planet fanfiction.

Nor should you be, the guy even went out and said he's not that upset about that stuff, what he does say he's upset about is Thomas's behavior to HIM back in the 70s.

And to be fair, I can get that. Sounds like Thomas was a dick to him. If that's the real story, which we'll never know since it will come down to a he said he said thing.

OneWhoIsAll

Great Scott!!!

Postby OneWhoIsAll » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:40 pm

achilles wrote:
Nor should you be, the guy even went out and said he's not that upset about that stuff, what he does say he's upset about is Thomas's behavior to HIM back in the 70s.

And to be fair, I can get that. Sounds like Thomas was a dick to him. If that's the real story, which we'll never know since it will come down to a he said he said thing.

I was actually talking about the some of responses he had online and he replied to them. The screenshots above.

But it's cool.

Kurosawa

Motherfucker from Hell

Postby Kurosawa » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:04 pm

The entire going native story was looked upon with a lot less scorn when Iron Fist was created. Plus, Roy did do the same story in reverse with Arak, I mean, the list of these sorts of characters is long: Leatherstocking, The Phantom, Iron Fist, Jake Sully, Yeah, it's a cliche but I think one of them in a shared universe is acceptable.

Herald

Hopscotch

Postby Herald » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:28 pm

I pretty much agree with Hama. Iron Fist is a white guy, so the casting's fine in that way. (Can't say much for the guy they chose, though...) It's the "Asian people aren't allowed to feel ways about things" part that's the problem. I do kinda roll my eyes at Thomas's use of "Oriental", though -- especially when he adds that he knows that "Oriental" is not the desired word nowadays, furthering the notion that he's not even trying to do right by people.

Herald

Hopscotch

Postby Herald » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:35 pm

One more important thing to add:

OneWhoIsAll wrote:Now back writing my Captain Planet fanfiction.

That better have Captain Pollution in it. :x

:wink:

HNutz

Rain Partier

Postby HNutz » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:48 pm

Mac E Tero

Motherfucker from Hell

Postby Mac E Tero » Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:19 am

Snake-Eyes was white.

leave a comment with facebook