Sunday, August 20, 2017 • Afternoon Edition • "We Wipe Last. Not Before."

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

The Random Chat Thread: we come in peace...

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

uz000

Swedish Pinata of Death

Postby uz000 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:08 am

I finished watching season 1 of Legion. I think episodes 2 & 6 were filler episodes, but the rest of the series is pretty great. An immense amount of imagination went into this show. If you want a completely different take on superheroes then this is the tv show for you. I hope they can keep up the crazy ideas in the next season. I also hope the next season doesn't get a bigger episode count, because this season was 8 episodes in total and it definitely doesn't need any more.

Their take on the Shadow King is far superior to the comic version.

4.2 out of 5 overall.

Spacedog

Swedish Pinata of Death

Postby Spacedog » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:36 am

Scintillant-H

#1,984 on Deathstroke's Hit List

Postby Scintillant-H » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:47 am

Spacedog wrote:Image

No One

Motherfucker from Hell

Postby No One » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:39 am

uz000 wrote:I finished watching season 1 of Legion. I think episodes 2 & 6 were filler episodes, but the rest of the series is pretty great. An immense amount of imagination went into this show. If you want a completely different take on superheroes then this is the tv show for you. I hope they can keep up the crazy ideas in the next season. I also hope the next season doesn't get a bigger episode count, because this season was 8 episodes in total and it definitely doesn't need any more.

4.2 out of 5 overall.

Oh snap, that bloated head that keeps showing up is the Shadow King?! When it first showed up it crossed my mind that there was an offhand chance. Haven't got that far yet.

Rebirth NoctourneM

Silly French Man

Postby Rebirth NoctourneM » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:43 am

uz000 wrote:I finished watching season 1 of Legion. I think episodes 2 & 6 were filler episodes, but the rest of the series is pretty great. An immense amount of imagination went into this show. If you want a completely different take on superheroes then this is the tv show for you. I hope they can keep up the crazy ideas in the next season. I also hope the next season doesn't get a bigger episode count, because this season was 8 episodes in total and it definitely doesn't need any more.

4.2 out of 5 overall.

Aubrey Plaza did a really good job.

Peter-J-DeadPoole

penile prisoner

Postby Peter-J-DeadPoole » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:30 pm

Spacedog wrote:I agree. I think they look like clones of Marc Silvestri. Not bad, although not as interesting as the work of artists like Fiona Staples or Chris Samnee, for example.

OK,i'll give you that
i like it for big2 art, but the 'indies' have some really stellar artists going on

Peter-J-DeadPoole

penile prisoner

Postby Peter-J-DeadPoole » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:31 pm

Flamebird wrote:

No.

I don't wanna! :evil:

he's a REBEL!
a NONconformist!!
a party-pooper...
:wink:

Peter-J-DeadPoole

penile prisoner

Postby Peter-J-DeadPoole » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:43 pm

No One wrote:
I haven't read WD since around 119 or so. Is it spinning wheels bad a la #65-around 80? Or just focused but not inspired?

Shaolin Cowboy: I thank ye gods whenever a new issue of SC drops (which I think this makes two in less than two years, which has to be a record) and we're about to get a couple more. Woooooo!

SC makes me feel like there is some worth to fighting against this shitty world.
but its my dog that gets me outta bed with a smile!

what arcs of tWD is that? the prison?
i'm just tried of kirkman's standard stunt-deaths and recycling... and i'm absolutely SICK of negan. but they are gearing up to make him a hero while the classic characters die off!!i cant even stand to read the letters anymore,since the new editor came on and they became assholes to the fans. i should have quit after #100, or at least switched to TPB. im usually on TPB now, but the LCS was selling comic buy1got2free. so i'm on this arc monthly. i really should have dropped the book entirely when the did the 'time-jump'... another broken rule/promise from robbie K & team! at least Charlie Adlard is still awesome,even if the art has taken a down-turn with the new 'help'.
blah blah

No One

Motherfucker from Hell

Postby No One » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:21 pm

Peter-J-DeadPoole wrote:
SC makes me feel like there is some worth to fighting against this shitty world.
but its my dog that gets me outta bed with a smile!

what arcs of tWD is that? the prison?
i'm just tried of kirkman's standard stunt-deaths and recycling... and i'm absolutely SICK of negan. but they are gearing up to make him a hero while the classic characters die off!!i cant even stand to read the letters anymore,since the new editor came on and they became assholes to the fans. i should have quit after #100, or at least switched to TPB. im usually on TPB now, but the LCS was selling comic buy1got2free. so i'm on this arc monthly. i really should have dropped the book entirely when the did the 'time-jump'... another broken rule/promise from robbie K & team! at least Charlie Adlard is still awesome,even if the art has taken a down-turn with the new 'help'.
blah blah

I dunno. From what I've seen of Charlie's current work (which for me would've been that whole War multi-arc from 105 onwards or so), having an inker has smoothed out some of the inconsistencies in his work.

The arcs you were asking about was roughly after the prison. Everything up to the prison was precise and thought out. After Lorie's death (and that was a helluva shocker) and the subsequent escape and scattering of the remaining crew, it free floated a bit (I did like the RIck talking to the phone and losing his mind bit) to me.

I'd have to see all of this in context. If Kirkman's killing off most of the main cast, he's keeping to his mantra that no one is safe. Honestly, I thought he should've killed Rick off a ways back. If Negan is being positioned to become the series (anti) hero with whomever else survives, it's to upset the status quo which in a series like this, that's a good thing.

What I don't want is people dying and I don't give a shit. So if he's writing the characters off in a way that I'm not feeling for the cast that's been around forever then yeah, that's a problem. But I haven't read it so I can't say. I know when Kirkman offed Tyrese I wanted to kill Kirkman. Likewise for Glenn. When Glenn's girl's family (her name escapes me right now) ate it because of her father's dated beliefs, I felt her father's grief. Most of the early deaths you felt something. Glenn was the last connection that I have to the series outside of Rick, Michonne, the rifle girl with the scar on her cheek and Glenn's wife. If those four eat it, I'll likely drop the series altogether and not check in because the rest of the new characters from what I've read just aren't as engaging aside from Negan himself.

No One

Motherfucker from Hell

Postby No One » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:32 pm

Spacedog wrote:I agree. I think they look like clones of Marc Silvestri. Not bad, although not as interesting as the work of artists like Fiona Staples or Chris Samnee, for example.

I think FInch evolved into his own thing tho' (overworked and static as his style is).

I just did a marathon run through Saga and I've always liked FIona Staples but man, after this current read-thru, I REALLY like her. Seeing her style and confidence as an artist grow from those early issues to where she's currently at is amazing.

Chris Samnee makes me want to give him the Seth Rollins treatment and add a "freakin'" inbetween Chris Samnee.

My current favs are Samnee, Staples, Sean Murphy (even if he literally only draws one type of face per gender), Greg Tochini and Fabio Moon (I like his brother Ba's work but Fabio's brushwork, storytelling, and page design is divine).

uz000

Swedish Pinata of Death

Postby uz000 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:36 pm

One year anniversary of Prince's death, so a decent reason to post this:

No One

Motherfucker from Hell

Postby No One » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:38 pm

All this art talk, let's have a lil' fun:

1) Name the top ten artists that you loved as a kid/young adult.

2) Now name the top ten that you currently love.

It'd be interesting to me to see who makes both lists, who fell off, and what new names made the list.

uz000

Swedish Pinata of Death

Postby uz000 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:40 pm

My favourite song from the excellent Legion soundtrack:

No One

Motherfucker from Hell

Postby No One » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:42 pm

uz000 wrote:One year anniversary of Prince's death, so a decent reason to post this:

Has it been a year already? Damn. For some reason, I thought he died later in the year. I'm extremely glad I got to go to a concert of his thru work. Literally. I was doing security at an indoor venue. It started two hours late. No one complained and he played music for most of the night. Magic hearing him live.

Peter-J-DeadPoole

penile prisoner

Postby Peter-J-DeadPoole » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:43 pm

No One wrote:
I think FInch evolved into his own thing tho' (overworked and static as his style is).

I just did a marathon run through Saga and I've always liked FIona Staples but man, after this current read-thru, I REALLY like her. Seeing her style and confidence as an artist grow from those early issues to where she's currently at is amazing.

Chris Samnee makes me want to give him the Seth Rollins treatment and add a "freakin'" inbetween Chris Samnee.

My current favs are Samnee, Staples, Sean Murphy (even if he literally only draws one type of face per gender), Greg Tochini and Fabio Moon (I like his brother Ba's work but Fabio's brushwork, storytelling, and page design is divine).

Staples is way up there in my book!
i really liked Sean Murphy, more for his dedication and what he gives to the readers... but he lost me by adding an ending to Punk Rock Jesus,after the fact and only available in the delux hardcover(?). all trust went out the window... and yes,he seems to be only able to draw 2-3 faces.

leave a comment with facebook