Advertisement

Review Group Week 163 - MUPPET SHOW #1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

What should we review next week?

Captain America Comics #1: 70th Anniversary Special
11%
Destroyer MAX #1
21%
Flash: Rebirth #1
63%
Franklin Richards: April Fools #1
No votes
Pride & Prejudice #1
No votes
Seaguy: The Slaves of Mickey Eye #1
5%

Total votes : 19

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 23 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:50 pm

amlah6 wrote:Funny how that always happens with the industry being print to order and all. :wink:

Boom! always overprints and I am pretty sure I heard them talking about a 25% overprint on this one...
Nothing is print to order. Those Marvel Max books that are "print to order" are always reorderable.
What happens is shops order how many they think they are going to need... Diamond orders a percentage over based on their projected reorder volume and smart publishers figure a percentage for damages and then print a percentage for reorders. Just because Marvel is reprinting everything under the sun (and really it is a very low percentage of things they are doing) it doesn;t mean every one else is. I think North Wind was the last sell out Boom! had, but I would have to ask Chip and it took like a week for that to happen.

Advertisement

Liked in: 59 posts

Postby ****** » Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:49 am

thefourthman wrote:Boom! always overprints and I am pretty sure I heard them talking about a 25% overprint on this one...
Nothing is print to order. Those Marvel Max books that are "print to order" are always reorderable.
What happens is shops order how many they think they are going to need... Diamond orders a percentage over based on their projected reorder volume and smart publishers figure a percentage for damages and then print a percentage for reorders. Just because Marvel is reprinting everything under the sun (and really it is a very low percentage of things they are doing) it doesn;t mean every one else is. I think North Wind was the last sell out Boom! had, but I would have to ask Chip and it took like a week for that to happen.

Just because they do a bit of overprint doesn't change the fact that print runs are based on the total number of orders placed through Diamond. I call it print to order, you can call it whatever you want, same difference.

I'll agree that it's probably Marvel's fault for completely devaluing the meaning of the term "sell out" in the industry, but whatever the case I couldn't give less of a shit if a book has a second printing or not.

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 57 posts

Postby doombug » Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:42 am

Punchy wrote:I think we should go for Flash: Rebirth, lots of potential for discussion there.

I agree.....with punchy?

When does that happen?! :shock:

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 43 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:55 am

My shop didn't get any of the book!

But I am in London this weekend, I'll be sure to find a copy there.

MrBlack
WTF is this rank?

Liked in: 49 posts

Postby MrBlack » Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:06 am

No review from me this week in all likelihood. I couldn't make it to the shop yesterday, and I doubt that it has it in stock in any case (it's a small shop).

Poll Options!!!

Postby ****** » Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:38 pm

Okay, I'm getting ready to add the poll to choose what we'll be reading next week. I literally could have listed a dozen different choices that would have made for good picks, but I've narrowed it down to 6.

I'll leave the voting open until Monday, here are our choices...

Captain America Comics #1: 70th Anniversary Special
(No preview available)

Story by James Robinson
Art by Marcos Martin

Leading off a series of celebratory specials commemorating Marvel's 70th Anniversary, James (STARMAN, SUPERMAN) Robinson and Marcos (AMAZING SPIDER-MAN) Martin bring you an untold story of the living legend. In the days before he becomes Captain America, a scrawny kid from Brooklyn named Steve Rogers shows the world that you don't need a super-soldier serum to be a hero. Plus a classic Captain America tale from the Golden Age by Joe Simon and Jack Kirby.

One-Shot/All-New & Reprints/Rated A...$3.99

Destroyer MAX #1
(Preview)

Written by ROBERT KIRKMAN
Penciled by CORY WALKER

"DESTROYER," PART I

For sixty years, Keen Marlowe has been a super hero, taking down bad guys, fighting the good fight. But it's is about to come crashing to an end. See, Marlowe is dying -- maybe today, maybe tomorrow, the only question is when. But Marlowe isn't about to go quietly into the night. Before he goes, he intends to leave the world a safer place for his family. And if that means hunting down -- and murdering -- every super-villain he can, so be it. They don't call him "Destroyer" for nothing... $3.99

Flash: Rebirth #1
(Preview)

Written by Geoff Johns
Art by Ethan Van Sciver

Through the decades, many heroes have taken the mantle of The Flash, but they all ride the lightning that crackles in the wake of the greatest hero the DC Universe has ever known, the man who sacrificed himself to save the Multiverse: Barry Allen!

Following the events of FINAL CRISIS, Barry has beaten death and returned to a fast-paced world that a man out of time wouldn't recognize. Or is it a world that is only just now catching up? All the running he's done before was just a warmup for the high-speed race that he and every other Flash must now run, because even though one speedster might have beaten death, another has just turned up dead! From Geoff Johns and Ethan Van Sciver, the visionaries responsible for the blockbuster GREEN LANTERN: REBIRTH and THE SINESTRO CORPS WAR, comes the start of an explosive and jaw-dropping epic that will reintroduce to the modern age the hero who single-handedly birthed the Silver Age of comics! DC history will be made, and the Flash legacy will be redefined!

DC Universe | 40pg. | Color | $3.99 US

Franklin Richards: April Fools #1
(No preview available)

Story and Art by Chris Eliopoulos

It's that time of year again. Springtime, baseball, April showers and most importantly April Fools Day! Franklin has a plan to make everyone in his family the butt of his practical joke, but the joke's on him. Join Franklin, H.E.R.B.I.E. and new addition, Puppy, in this all-new foolish special with stories to tickle your funny bone. Hey, wait--there's a giant spider on your shoulder! April Fools!
All Ages …$3.99

Pride & Prejudice #1
(Preview)

Written by Nancy Hajeski
Pencils by Hugo Petrus

IT is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune must be in want of a wife…

Tailored from the adored Jane Austen classic, Marvel Comics is proud to present PRIDE AND PREJUDICE! Two-time Rita Award-Winner Nancy Butler and fan-favorite Hugo Petrus faithfully adapt the whimsical tale of Lizzy Bennet and her loveable-if-eccentric family, as they navigate through tricky British social circles. Will Lizzy’s father manage to marry off her five daughters, despite his wife’s incessant nagging? And will Lizzy’s beautiful sister Jane marry the handsome, wealthy Mr. Bingley, or will his brooding friend Mr. Darcy stand between their happiness? "This project has been like a dream come true for me as a writer and as a former graphic designer—not only am I adapting a book I love, I am doing it in the one forum, comics, where words and pictures carry equal weight." Nancy Butler, two-time RITA winner and multiple RT Reviewer's Choice winner in Regency…$3.99

Seaguy: The Slaves of Mickey Eye #1
(Preview)

Story by Grant Morrison
Art by Cameron Stewart

In 2008 alone, superstar writer Grant Morrison killed Batman, put the entire DC Universe through its FINAL CRISIS and concluded the unanimously beloved ALL-STAR SUPERMAN. But what does a writer who's written every significant Super Hero do when he can create any Super Hero he wants? The answer, of course, is SEAGUY! Morrison (THE INVISIBLES) rejoins original SEAGUY artist Cameron Stewart (SEVEN SOLDIERS) in an all-new adventure starring the cult-favorite character!

In Seaguy's cartoon future world, everyone is a Super Hero and no one dies. It's absolutely perfect...Or is it? In this follow-up to the cult 2004 miniseries, Seaguy resurfaces with a sinister new partner, a hatred of the sea and a rebel restlessness he can't explain. Why are Doc Hero and his ex-archenemy Silvan Niltoid, the Alien from Planet Earth, whispering strange equations? Why is Death so useless? And can that really be the ghost of Chubby Da Choona mumbling uncanny warnings and dire prophecies of ultimate catastrophe?

When the grotesque powers lurking behind the corporation known as Mickey Eye and the Happy Group attempt to erase Seaguy's entire existence, can he possibly get it together in time to save a world so far gone it can't even imagine the horror lying in wait? Find out here in Morrison's own personal reframing of the Super Hero concept for the 21st century.

Vertigo | 40pg. | Color | $3.99 US

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 43 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:54 pm

Like I said earlier, I vote for Flash Rebirth, it's set to be an important book, and also it's sure to have different reactions, I expect it to split us down the middle, or just suck, either of which would be interesting.

Postby ****** » Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:59 pm

Punchy wrote:Like I said earlier, I vote for Flash Rebirth, it's set to be an important book, and also it's sure to have different reactions, I expect it to split us down the middle, or just suck, either of which would be interesting.

I'm leaning towards voting for Flash, but it's hard to pass up Marcos Martin on a WWII Cap story.

GLX
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 51 posts
Title: Leader of The Society

Postby GLX » Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:03 pm

Flash.

john lewis wrote:Everyone but GLX has no taste.

48THRiLLS
Review Grouper

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Outhouse resident punk rocker
Formerly: cool

Postby 48THRiLLS » Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:06 pm

Flash will win, I chose Kirkman...never been a fan of the speedsters

Postby ****** » Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:32 pm

My copy of Muppets just shipped, It should be here by Saturday or Monday at the latest. :-D

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 1 post

Postby Starlord » Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:24 pm

I voted Flash, but I wouldn't mind Seaguy either. Loved the first one.

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

KING King Impulse
Teenage Wasteland

Liked in: 0 post
Title: The Prodigal Son
Formerly: King Impulse

Postby KING King Impulse » Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:57 pm

Although I like to think of myself as 'The speedster guy' I'm cautiously worried about Rebirth, and I know Destroyer is going to be awesome

Oh, and my shop didn't get any of this week's

Oh, and if I had any say, we'd be getting Mark Waid's Irredeemable next week.
THE ENTHUSIAST: The Internet's Premier Hate Free Zone!

| Website | Twitter | Facebook |

Postby ****** » Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:34 pm

Kid Impulse wrote:Oh, and if I had any say, we'd be getting Mark Waid's Irredeemable next week.

I almost put that in over P&P, but I didn't want to have two weeks in a row where people could potentially have trouble finding the pick if I could avoid it. Plus, since P&P is such an odd thing for Marvel to adapt I'm kind of curious about it.

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 192 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:22 pm

looking forward to Flash Rebirth after listening to EVS a few months ago.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand