Wednesday, December 13, 2017 • Midnight Edition • "Cyclops was right."

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

The Hardest Part About Creating A Story

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Scintillant-H

#1,984 on Deathstroke's Hit List

Postby Scintillant-H » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:35 am

Most difficult part: overcoming depression to actually GET to write.

Sometimes it'll let me plan though. :)

Spacedog

Great Scott!!!

Postby Spacedog » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:22 am

Self-discipline. Many people have wonderful ideas, but few have the resolve to push aside the distractions and write regularly.

avenell

Whippersnapper

Postby avenell » Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:01 am

Make the audience care about the character(s) or interested in where the plot is going to go.

Make the characters interesting. Don't let the reader get bored at any point, or the may put it down and never pick it up again. It's never a bad thing for what you are writing to be termed a 'page-turner - the reader needs to know what happens next.

No shifts in tone.

Good dialogue is a huge bonus, and some people are much more gifted at it than others, and I think it's the thing hardest to learn if it doesn't come naturally. In general, avoiding Mary/Marty Sues, though maybe you need a character who is brilliant at everything - just don't make them an idealized version of you - however on comics there are plenty of Mary/Marty Sues. But the best loved characters usually aren't perfect.

A bit of humour helps, if applicable to the style of what you are writing.

Be a harsh self-critic and re-write and re-write; people who think their first draft is perfect are rarely correct.

Hope this helps - learnt through my own experience.

leave a comment with facebook