Saturday, November 18, 2017 • Morning Edition • "We go in so you don't have to."

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

If You Could Reboot ANY Franchise...

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

HNutz

Rain Partier

Postby HNutz » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:46 pm

Reboots happen. It's a fact.

Simple question.

If YOU could reboot any movie franchise... what would you do?

Would you redo Transformers, tying them in to the other Hasbro properties (and maybe making them not suck)?

Would you try to do something fun with the "Dark Universe" (the Universal Monsters movie universe or just make a series of unrelated, but GOOD, monster movies?

Would you relaunch the Marvel, FOX or DC movie universes and, if so, what would you do differently?

Annnnndd... GO! 8)

achilles

Not a Kardashian

Postby achilles » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:59 pm

DC. For the obvious reason that it sucks. I'd concentrate on solo movies first, and introduce a lot of non-Trinity and League movies. DC/WB doesn't seem to understand that they have more than just those characters. I'd fire Goyer as their go-to writer, and Johns too. Didio, Harras, and others too.

Like Marvel, I'd use the solo movies to introduce those characters who need it before putting them into a team movie. Of course that means no more rehash of Batman and Superman's origin stories---they don't need any more solo movies of that sort. If you want to do a new Krypton origin, use Power Girl, who could also serve as an intro the the JSA, or even LEGION if you set part of it in space. But avoid that DC trap of using their movies as an advertisement for other movies. Make them movies that exist in their own right, for their own purpose; using Power Girl as an intro for JSA for example would merely take the form of HER being part of the team later. LEGION, or it's prototype, could serve as her helpers/ sounding boards. I would avoid Supergirl for the simple reason she's been way overexposed.

But DC's space universe should be explored. And...I'd ban Harley Quinn and the Joker. And keep Cyborg out of the JLA and in the NTT where he belongs.

jephd

cheese

Postby jephd » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:07 pm

St Trinian's. The dark tale of a group of school girls banding together for protection against a paedophilic ring of teachers. Their only ally in the faculty is the new gender fluid head teacher.

Also a decent planned but scary shared universe for Freddy Krueger Jason Voorhies and Michael Myers. Each getting their own film honouring the spirit of the originals and taking the best of but not beholden to the sequels. Leading to a blowout crossover movie.

Amoebas

Son of Stein

Postby Amoebas » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:06 pm

I thought was going to be about the comic books - if it were I'd say the Fantastic Four or Legion of Super-Heroes.

If it's movies I'll still say the Fantastic Four and add in a Flash Gordon or Buck Rogers.

McMonkey Nut

Rain Partier

Postby McMonkey Nut » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:00 pm

GI Joe, they were my absolute favorite thing when I was a kid. I would love to see some really good takes on GI Joe be it in comic books, movies, TV's, or cartoons.

Rebirth NoctourneM

Rain Partier

Postby Rebirth NoctourneM » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:14 pm

Yup, I'm crossposting.

Rebirth NoctourneM

Rain Partier

Postby Rebirth NoctourneM » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:17 pm

Amoebas wrote: add in a Flash Gordon or Buck Rogers.

Another fantastic example of a correct post. :smt023

Glaeken

Motherfucker from Hell

Postby Glaeken » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:16 pm

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy That movie? C'mon you can do better than that. Something that would have made Douglas proud. Dirk Gently has done fine. Go that way.

Dark Shadows What was Tim Burton thinking? Go for a tv show not a movie.

Rebirth NoctourneM

Rain Partier

Postby Rebirth NoctourneM » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:26 pm

Glaeken wrote:Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy That movie? C'mon you can do better than that. Something that would have made Douglas proud. Dirk Gently has done fine. Go that way.

Dark Shadows What was Tim Burton thinking? Go for a tv show not a movie.

Even the worst TV pilot was better than the film. They broke my heart, up until this they could do no wrong. I think it would lend itself very well to the one hour format.

HNutz

Rain Partier

Postby HNutz » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:37 pm

McMonkey Nut wrote:GI Joe, they were my absolute favorite thing when I was a kid. I would love to see some really good takes on GI Joe be it in comic books, movies, TV's, or cartoons.

I'd love to see a Joe movie with a big cast and an epic feel to it.

Basically:

(Something with the feel of the intro, if nothing else)

I want to see Alpine and Bazooka and Airtight and Shipwreck, alongside mainstays like Flint, Scarlett and Snake Eyes.

I want to see a color changing/master of disguise Zartan, a Destro that sounds like Lawrence Fishborne, a raspy sounding Cobra Commander and some Battle Android Troopers or Vipers.

Maybe this could lead into a new Transformers movie (and then maybe G.I.Joe vs Transformers, which then leads into a M.A.S.K... something).

Speaking of Transformers, I'd like to see them get back to being robots in disguise, without the world knowing about them yet.

I'd like to see them with a look closer to Transformers Prime as opposed to the Bayformers.

Maybe it starts out with Jazz (who's been awake longer and more aware of Earth's cultures and whatnot), trying to track down the rest of the shipwrecked Autobots, inadvertently waking up the dormant Decepticons and beginning their conflict anew.

I dunno.

Grayson

Outhouse Drafter

Postby Grayson » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:46 pm

The Dark Tower

Go back to the original idea. The first film is based off of the first book in the series, The Gunslinger. Assuming it's relatively successful at the box office, follow it up with an AMC or HBO series that chronicles the second book in the series, The Drawing of the Three. And so on and so forth. You know what? Just get the team behind the new version of It to to it. They seem to get King. :smt102

I really didn't hate the choice of Idris Elba as Roland Deschain but if we are going to take such a grand departure from physical appearance of the character, virtually everything else about him needs to be dead on. And for the love of God, Aaron Paul absolutely MUST play Eddie Dean. I will accept nothing else.

Thankee-sai.

HNutz

Rain Partier

Postby HNutz » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:04 pm

And with Transformers... we're getting rid of death as a revolving door for Optimus and Megatron.

If they die... that's it.

No resurrection every movie or two.

Starscream would have a bigger role (like in the cartoon) and Soundwave would have a role similar to his Transformers: Prime incarnation.

I'd like to have Peter Cullen and Frank Weller as voice actors.

For Prime, he'd be closer to "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" Prime and less "Kill 'em all!" Prime.

I'd like to see characters who were either underused or not used in the Bay movies, like Jazz and Preceptor.

More to come (probably).

Grayson wrote:The Dark Tower

Go back to the original idea. The first film is based off of the first book in the series, The Gunslinger. Assuming it's relatively successful at the box office, follow it up with an AMC or HBO series that chronicles the second book in the series, The Drawing of the Three. And so on and so forth. You know what? Just get the team behind the new version of It to to it. They seem to get King. :smt102

I really didn't hate the choice of Idris Elba as Roland Deschain but if we are going to take such a grand departure from physical appearance of the character, virtually everything else about him needs to be dead on. And for the love of God, Aaron Paul absolutely MUST play Eddie Dean. I will accept nothing else.

Thankee-sai.

For your plan, would Elba reprise his role in the TV series?

Grayson

Outhouse Drafter

Postby Grayson » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:06 pm

HNutz wrote:For your plan, would Elba reprise his role in the TV series?

I mean, he'll obviously be busy filming more episode of Luther but, yeah, of course he would. :smt102

Grayson

Outhouse Drafter

Postby Grayson » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:45 pm

A week and a half after the season (series?) finale of Showtime's Twin Peaks revival and I'm feeling a little inspired, so what the hell:

Green Lantern

A great evil has arrived on Earth and has begun spreading throughout the moderately sized community of Coast City. Fear is spreading at an unprecedented rate, friends and family are turning against one another for no good reason, and local authorities are at a loss. Suddenly a strange Green Light appears in the night sky and envelops the city. For a moment the fear and evil subside but just as quickly as it appeared, the light fades. However from the remains of an alien spacecraft, Hal Jordan is entrusted with the Power Ring of Abin Sur. He is given very little instruction. He is only told that he has the ability to overcome great fear. A majority of this film is going to be Hal Jordan using the ring to fight an unforeseen force. No a strange cosmic diarrhea blob like the previous film. Just a very real, palpable sense of fear. This is a man whose entire world has just been turned upside down. He just found out that aliens are real. He just found out that their are cosmic space weapons. And he has no idea what else is out there. Hal Jordan really does have to overcome fear in this film before anything else happens.

The final portion of this film is the arrival of Abin Sur's partner, Sinestro, who has come to Earth to recover his friend's Power Ring. He is surprised that this Earthman was able to use the ring, let alone subdue the conduit of fear that was unleashed on the planet but he does not intend to allow him to keep the ring. They battle and Sinestro eventually gains control. What little is left of the fear entity that Hal battled earlier attacks just as Sinestro is set to take back the ring. Overcome, Sinestro is forced to retreat. Hal wins and keeps his ring but for how long? What does it all mean?

Just before the end credits, Hal sees a series of similar Green Lights in the night sky. When he goes to investigate, he hears a deep, gravely voice say "Welcome to the Green Lantern Corps...Poozer."

This sets up the sequel, which of course will be the "Green Lantern Corps." Hal Jordan's universe will expand tremendously. Sinestro will come back into play, and we will get the introduction of both John Stewart and Guy Gardner.

Continuing the horror threads from the first movie, we can say that Green Lantern Corps becomes something of a bodysnatchers movie in the final act, as the faceless creature that Hal fought in the first movie, that attacked Sinestro before he flew off, has found its way back to Hal. Stronger now, the creature leeches it's way into Hal's soul and after successfully defeating Sinestro with his new companions, is overtaken by Parallax.

The third movie, Emerald Twilight, jumps ahead a bit. The Corps is in shambles. What's left is fighting Parallax, led by Stewart and Gardner, are desperatly trying to hold the line on Oa. Back on Earth, Hal's old Power Ring is searching for something. Someone. It finds young Kyle Rayner, who must now undertake a journey similar to Hal's journey through the first few acts of the first film. He is given little information. Little explanation. But his mission is of grave importance.

Draco x

PЦИKЧ ВЯЁ&#106

Postby Draco x » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:05 am

I would reboot the TMNT movie franchise by primarily pretending those last 2 movies that had Michael Bay's involvement never happened. For starters, have the Turtles look like they're supposed to look and not rejects from that awful Super Mario Bros movie from the 90's, have April O Neil played a good actress this time around and have Karai actually do something this time around and give her an actual personality.

leave a comment with facebook