Monday, December 18, 2017 • Afternoon Edition • "Magneto was right."

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

After Years Of Accusations Of Sexual Harassment, DC Fires Eddie Berganza

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LoganRSA

FROGMAN

Postby LoganRSA » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:44 pm

If DC is smart they'll blame all of the movie failures on him as he leaves. Actual responsibility is irrelevant.

Jack Charlemagne

rubber spoon

Postby Jack Charlemagne » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:02 pm

Spacedog wrote:This is far from finished. We can't forget that DC's upper-management folks were very complacent with Berganza's behaviour. There was a great deal of cowardice in the affair.

I think this won't end well for them. There will be more shit hitting the fan in the near future.

I think it's clear that Bob Harras (as referenced in the Buzzfeed article) and Dan Didio (who quit Twitter rather than make explanations for Berganza still being employed) both protected him, though Berganza was working in DC editorial for longer than Harras or even Didio have been with DC. Meaning there were others who were evidently dandy with his actions.

And yea, he may have been reprimanded and demoted for a little while, but that was only stemming from a singular complaint. Buzzfeed confirmed there were multiple persons who came forward before and after, with first- and second-hand accounts. They were ignored as were the dozen or so comic journos who kept asking questions, until a more mainstream outlet poked around. Which says quite a lot for what DC thinks of its own people, and the outlets they depend on for running their free advert press releases. Fuck DC right off a cliff.

SporkBot

Swedish Pinata of Death

Postby SporkBot » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:54 pm

Aaaaand he's GONE!

Someone had to do it. So I did it.

Chessack

Great Scott!!!

Postby Chessack » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:26 pm

cbikle wrote:He was never really a good editor to begin with.

This.

The Superman family sucked for years under his leadership.

Scintillant-H

#1,984 on Deathstroke's Hit List

Postby Scintillant-H » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:36 am

Anyone clearing out his office better prepare themselves for some surprises in his desk drawers...

SuperginraiX

Outhouse Editor

Postby SuperginraiX » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:50 pm

There was always a rumor that Berganza had some dirt that kept his job secure. If that rumor were true, whatever he had was either no longer relevant or the current environment demanded that his blackmail or whatever wasn't powerful enough to prevent his removal.

Or this is just a publicity stunt and Berganza will still be employed by DC in some way. I'm just jaded enough to think that could happen.

Or, even more likely, thinking Berganza was blackmailing his way into lucrative employment is giving far too much credit to the boys' club that is the comics world. We are only JUST NOW at the point in history where issues of sexual harassment are being treated with the seriousness that they deserve. You'd think that would have happened years ago but even in my own workplace, issues of sexual harassment have been promptly ignored. It looks like things are FINALLY starting to turn in the right direction but we'll see if the momentum continues.

Holy crap am I bitter lately. :smt102

Jack Charlemagne

rubber spoon

Postby Jack Charlemagne » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:07 pm

SuperginraiX wrote:Or this is just a publicity stunt and Berganza will still be employed by DC in some way. I'm just jaded enough to think that could happen.

Buzzfeed did report he was suspended by DC, not fired.

I feel the same as you. I keep coming back to this screenwriter I knew years ago who once told me that as bad as Hollywood was/is, he wouldn't touch comics with a ten-foot pole. But worst case scenario, even if this is only a temporary readjustment before Berganza is unveiled with a different job title or gets scooped up by Dark Horse or whatever, even a small victory is still a victory. If this makes just one prick second guess himself, it's better than nothing at all.

Jack Burton

Fagorstorm

Postby Jack Burton » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:20 pm

SuperginraiX wrote:There was always a rumor that Berganza had some dirt that kept his job secure. If that rumor were true, whatever he had was either no longer relevant or the current environment demanded that his blackmail or whatever wasn't powerful enough to prevent his removal.

Or this is just a publicity stunt and Berganza will still be employed by DC in some way. I'm just jaded enough to think that could happen.

Or, even more likely, thinking Berganza was blackmailing his way into lucrative employment is giving far too much credit to the boys' club that is the comics world. We are only JUST NOW at the point in history where issues of sexual harassment are being treated with the seriousness that they deserve. You'd think that would have happened years ago but even in my own workplace, issues of sexual harassment have been promptly ignored. It looks like things are FINALLY starting to turn in the right direction but we'll see if the momentum continues.

I think in this day and age you are right to be bitter. I was 12-13 when Clarence Thomas and Anita Hill came about. Prior to that I had no clue what sexual harassment was.

So my entire teenage years and adult life I have made aware of what was and was not appropriate behavior. I've take countless workplace harassment classes. To me it seemed like common sense and I figured this kind of thing was a fluke. A couple of random piggish oafs. How hard is it to no be a gross perv?

Turns out I was really really mistaken. Apparently there's a bunch of gross dudes out there who don't know it's not cool to whip out your junk to random people or grope people or be sexually aggressive to people. What's worse is often these assholes are in such positions they can protect themselves and make the victims feel weak or look bad so they can discredit them.

I have sons not daughters and all I can think of is I got another thing I have to add to my "how not to raise an asshole" parenting list.

Godzylla

hobo killer

Postby Godzylla » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:26 pm

1) Harassment and assaults are becoming more public, and aren't being tolerated any longer - very publicly.
2) A very public airing of DC's dirty laundry regarding Berganza hit the mainstream and has spread from BuzzFeed to other outlets.
3) Justice League, a high-profile DC film with make-or-break the franchise riding on it, is due to release this week amidst much speculation regarding tone and reshoots.

The trifecta of getting DC to act decently. Now, as to Berganza's enablers...

Jack Charlemagne

rubber spoon

Postby Jack Charlemagne » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:37 pm

Jack Burton wrote:
I think in this day and age you are right to be bitter. I was 12-13 when Clarence Thomas and Anita Hill came about. Prior to that I had no clue what sexual harassment was.

So my entire teenage years and adult life I have made aware of what was and was not appropriate behavior. I've take countless workplace harassment classes. To me it seemed like common sense and I figured this kind of thing was a fluke. A couple of random piggish oafs. How hard is it to no be a gross perv?

Turns out I was really really mistaken. Apparently there's a bunch of gross dudes out there who don't know it's not cool to whip out your junk to random people or grope people or be sexually aggressive to people. What's worse is often these assholes are in such positions they can protect themselves and make the victims feel weak or look bad so they can discredit them.

An audio recording saying how he liked to grab women by their pussies did not stop our sitting President from getting to where he is, in this day and age. I don't understand how so many people think one must be a pink shirt-wearing male feminist to take issue with such a turn of events. We downplay systemic normalization concerning too many different things. Like the ongoing, permanent US military presence in over four-fifths of all the nations on Earth? No possible room for concerns there! Entropy though.

SporkBot

Swedish Pinata of Death

Postby SporkBot » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:16 pm

SuperginraiX wrote:There was always a rumor that Berganza had some dirt that kept his job secure.

I think a rumor of that sort has been spread about Dan Didio as well. Which makes me question the validity of either case, much as I've no love for either. Or maybe the rumor was about "Someone at DC" and my brain just linked it to Didio because, well...he's a moron.

Holy crap am I bitter lately.

So am I. But, y'know...for different reasons.

Jack Charlemagne wrote:An audio recording saying how he liked to grab women by their pussies did not stop our sitting President from getting to where he is, in this day and age.

At the risk of sounding like one of his supporters (to clarify, I'm not), he didn't say he actually did it...only that he could get away it and/or he'd be allowed to do so, because he's a crude boastful jackass that enjoys being a crude boastful jackass. There are allegations that he DID get handsy, which may well be true, but he never admitted to do it. Largely because that'd steer too close to admitting he did something wrong.

I don't understand how so many people think one must be a pink shirt-wearing male feminist to take issue with such a turn of events. We downplay systemic normalization concerning too many different things.

Yeah, there's definite culture shock with women refusing to tolerate games of grab-ass anymore. What some dudes see as harmless fun or a "compliment" is being threatened, and they'll rationalize however they can to avoid admitting they did anything wrong. Happens with people all the time, regardless of politics or subject matter.

achilles

Silly French Man

Postby achilles » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:12 pm

SuperginraiX wrote:There was always a rumor that Berganza had some dirt that kept his job secure. If that rumor were true, whatever he had was either no longer relevant or the current environment demanded that his blackmail or whatever wasn't powerful enough to prevent his removal.

We've all got reason to be bitter IMO, many reasons.

Jack Charlemagne

rubber spoon

Postby Jack Charlemagne » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:15 pm

SporkBot wrote:Yeah, there's definite culture shock with women refusing to tolerate games of grab-ass anymore. What some dudes see as harmless fun or a "compliment" is being threatened, and they'll rationalize however they can to avoid admitting they did anything wrong. Happens with people all the time, regardless of politics or subject matter.

Not to suggest there is no time and place for goosing nuns, of course. I mean all rules have an exception and everyone must try it once, if only because the looks on their faces just can't be put into words. It's always a brief flash, but somehow possesses shades of both "Dear Penthouse" and "Get thee behind me, SATAN".

Herald

Not a Kardashian

Postby Herald » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:28 pm

Jack Charlemagne wrote:
Not to suggest there is no time and place for goosing nuns, of course. I mean all rules have an exception and everyone must try it once, if only because the looks on their faces just can't be put into words. It's always a brief flash, but somehow possesses shades of both "Dear Penthouse" and "Get thee behind me, SATAN".

You had Achilles at "goosing nuns"...

Windom URL

Rain Partier

Postby Windom URL » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:21 pm

Scintillant-H wrote:Anyone clearing out his office better prepare themselves for some surprises in his desk drawers...

How ironic that trying to get interns into his drawers is what got him in trouble in the first place.

leave a comment with facebook