Friday, October 19, 2018 • Morning Edition • "Voted best hair in high school."

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

Doomsday Clock #1, Demon: Hell Is Earth #1 (Previews)

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

TheLurker

rubber spoon

Postby TheLurker » Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:01 pm

Oh, Doomsday CLOCK. :|

My bad. I always read these things too fast. That sounds boring though. :outhouse:

LiamA

cheese

Postby LiamA » Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:40 pm

I might have to give 'The Demon' a try. I like how Etrigan isn't talking in rhyme and I like the scene of him drinking.

Amoebas

Son of Stein

Postby Amoebas » Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:19 pm

Spacedog wrote:Geoff Johns, renowned for his Shakespearean style of writing and superb grasp on character development, putting words in the mouth of Ozymandias - "the smartest man on the planet". The sheer absurdity of this situation...

I'm not sure how to read this one.

Is it making fun of Johns for putting the words "the smartest man on the planet" in the mouth of Ozymandias?
Well, it can't be, because Ozymandias never says those words (a news caster does).

Is it making fun of Johns for creating the phrase "the smartest man on the planet"?
Well, it can't be because Moore wrote those words (three times) in the original mini-series.

Or is just another unreasoned and lame attempt to make fun of Johns?
Bingo. We have a winner.

StrongStyleFiction

cheese

Postby StrongStyleFiction » Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:39 pm

IvCNuB4 wrote:

Tim Curry was the sexiest Lord Of Darkness IMO.

Darkness is THE reason to watch that movie.

Spacedog

Expert Post Whore

Postby Spacedog » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:09 pm

Amoebas wrote:Or is just another unreasoned and lame attempt to make fun of Johns?

Yes! There's no denying that this was another unreasoned and lame attempt to make fun of Johns.

IvCNuB4

Staff Writer

Postby IvCNuB4 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:53 pm

I had the Demon issue on my pull list but it was really more of a "Maybe". I'm glad I picked it up. Andrew Constant wastes no time pulling us in to a much bigger mystery as we find out that Madame Xanadu is also somehow getting the same weird vision that Jason is as she races to Death Valley to find the source of the vision. This leads her to have a short but funny altercation with some local rednecks. Then we discover that the young girl in Jason's vision is also in the area on a road trip with her family and that she is sharing these vision dreams too. Next, Constant teases the supernatural bad guy who has been controlling a military General and uses him to detonate a nuclear missile in an attempt to break the dimensional barrier between where said bad guy is and our world. The explosion then has an unforeseen effect on the bond between Jason and Etrigan.
And the rhyming/no rhyming thing is addressed. I don't blame Constant for tossing that in. If I were the writer I would find it a pain in the ass to have to always use the rhyming scheme. This seems to strike a nice balance between the two.
I'm definitely in to see where this storyline is going. 8) :smt023

Beast In Show

Swedish Pinata of Death

Postby Beast In Show » Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:55 am

Quick question, what if any, is required reading before Doomsday Clock? Is the Batman/Flash mini enough?

Rebirth NoctourneM

Rain Partier

Postby Rebirth NoctourneM » Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:08 pm

Beast In Show wrote:Quick question, what if any, is required reading before Doomsday Clock? Is the Batman/Flash mini enough?

I'd say so

Amoebas

Son of Stein

Postby Amoebas » Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:48 pm

Beast In Show wrote:Quick question, what if any, is required reading before Doomsday Clock? Is the Batman/Flash mini enough?

For #1, I'd say only Watchmen 1-12 are required (since most of the issue plays like a Watchmen #13).
For the other parts of the book, all you need to know is who Clark Kent is.

Rebirth #1 included a number of possible ties (the button, the Legion, the JSA, Wally's return) but none of these has a role in Doomsday Clock #1.

The Bats/Flash 2 parter also aren't needed for #1 (but likely will play a part in subsequent issues).

Ancillary connections might play into the mini from Detective and Supergirl (mostly Legion teases).

HNutz

Rain Partier

Postby HNutz » Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:22 pm

Amoebas wrote:For #1, I'd say only Watchmen 1-12 are required (since most of the issue plays like a Watchmen #13).
For the other parts of the book, all you need to know is who Clark Kent is.

Rebirth #1 included a number of possible ties (the button, the Legion, the JSA, Wally's return) but none of these has a role in Doomsday Clock #1.

The Bats/Flash 2 parter also aren't needed for #1 (but likely will play a part in subsequent issues).

Ancillary connections might play into the mini from Detective and Supergirl (mostly Legion teases).

Yeah, most of the issue just relies on the original series.

There's only 2 new characters, IIRC, a couple of familiar faces, like Rorschach actually a different person and Adrian and some dude named Clark Kent who lost his parents in a car crash on prom night.

You should be fine.

Amoebas

Son of Stein

Postby Amoebas » Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:01 pm

HNutz wrote:
Yeah, most of the issue just relies on the original series.

There's only 2 new characters, IIRC, a couple of familiar faces, like Rorschach actually a different person and Adrian and some dude named Clark Kent who dreamt he lost his parents in a car crash on prom night.

You should be fine.

Fixed :wink:

LiamA

cheese

Postby LiamA » Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:55 pm

IvCNuB4 wrote:I had the Demon issue on my pull list but it was really more of a "Maybe". I'm glad I picked it up. Andrew Constant wastes no time pulling us in to a much bigger mystery as we find out that Madame Xanadu is also somehow getting the same weird vision that Jason is as she races to Death Valley to find the source of the vision. This leads her to have a short but funny altercation with some local rednecks. Then we discover that the young girl in Jason's vision is also in the area on a road trip with her family and that she is sharing these vision dreams too. Next, Constant teases the supernatural bad guy who has been controlling a military General and uses him to detonate a nuclear missile in an attempt to break the dimensional barrier between where said bad guy is and our world. The explosion then has an unforeseen effect on the bond between Jason and Etrigan.
And the rhyming/no rhyming thing is addressed. I don't blame Constant for tossing that in. If I were the writer I would find it a pain in the ass to have to always use the rhyming scheme. This seems to strike a nice balance between the two.
I'm definitely in to see where this storyline is going. 8) :smt023

That is something that I always hated about Etrigan is that damn rhyming.

HNutz

Rain Partier

Postby HNutz » Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:47 pm

Amoebas wrote:
Fixed :wink:

I just figured that was a change in the NuDCU...

Amoebas

Son of Stein

Postby Amoebas » Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:42 am

HNutz wrote:
I just figured that was a change in the NuDCU...

Time will tell.

IvCNuB4

Staff Writer

Postby IvCNuB4 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:22 pm

Any theories on who the current Rorschach might be? Obviously the big clue so far is why just taking off a glove would prove this is someone different. Perhaps something distinctive on the palm of this person?

leave a comment with facebook