Sunday, May 20, 2018 • Morning Edition • "Voted best hair in high school."

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

DC Movie Producer Admits No Backup Plan For Bad Projects

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

StrongStyleFiction

cheese

Postby StrongStyleFiction » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:23 pm

My only worry is that they'll somehow find someone worse than Johns. What we need to do is find a way to whisper "Bruce Timm" into WB execs ears as they sleep.

Chessack

Great Scott!!!

Postby Chessack » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:48 pm

StrongStyleFiction wrote:My only worry is that they'll somehow find someone worse than Johns. What we need to do is find a way to whisper "Bruce Timm" into WB execs ears as they sleep.

Yes... they could put Bob Harras in charge. That would be worse. And then some.

Spacedog

Expert Post Whore

Postby Spacedog » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:25 pm

Chessack wrote:
Yes... they could put Bob Harras in charge. That would be worse. And then some.

Bob Harras was almost a 'nonentity', until Jim Lee rescued his old friend during DC's restructuring. Unlike Johns, who got himself some pals in the movie industry, I seriously doubt that Harras has the right connections to 'infect' the movie side of DC/WB.

But... who knows? He may fulfill WB's requirements for a new scapegoat.

zryson

PЦИKЧ ВЯЁ&#106

Postby zryson » Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:34 am

"Titanic," "Spartacus," "Superman" added to National Film Registry

James Cameron's blockbuster "Titanic," the Kirk Douglas gladiator epic "Spartacus," the comic book hero adventure "Superman," and the Bruce Willis action film "Die Hard" are among the titles added this year to the National Film Registry. The Library of Congress made the announcement on Wednesday.

The Registry is the Library's roster of films it has chosen as culturally, aesthetically or historically important. Titles selected for the Registry are to be preserved by the Library for future generations.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/titanic-sp ... -registry/

zryson

PЦИKЧ ВЯЁ&#106

Postby zryson » Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:22 am

Spacedog wrote:I'm not surprised at all. Since they announced Johns' promotion to the position of "President" of DC Films, I knew 100% that WB would be setting him up as a scapegoat.

On the other hand, let's not pretend that Johns is an innocent/naive boy unprepared to deal with the cruel reality of corporate world. He knew what he was getting himself into. Anyone can see his influence in some of these movies. If he chose to "roll with the punches" rather than stand up against de bad decisions of Tsujihara and Emmerich, that's his problem.

The fallout from Justice League's failure will continue to reverberate for years at Warner Bros. This was supposed to be their answer to Marvel's The Avengers and with the movie doing so badly its just an embarrassment for all involved but this is what happens when studios dont build a solid foundation and just have dollar eyes in their eyes in their desire to catch up with their rivals.

zryson

PЦИKЧ ВЯЁ&#106

Postby zryson » Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:08 am

The movie is still in theaters but Justice League is set to be released on Digital HD in Korea just days from now, with an official release date of 19 December.

zryson

PЦИKЧ ВЯЁ&#106

Postby zryson » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:23 pm

Ahead of the Digital HD release in Korea on 19 December, the first 3 minutes of Justice League has been officially released online

zryson

PЦИKЧ ВЯЁ&#106

Postby zryson » Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:33 pm

‘Justice League’ DP Fabian Wagner on Zack Snyder’s Cut, Superman’s Black Suit
http://collider.com/justice-league-inte ... lack-suit/

zryson

PЦИKЧ ВЯЁ&#106

Postby zryson » Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:26 pm

Justice League Dark Movie Concept Art and Character Designs Surface

Get a look at what Guillermo del Toro's Justice League Dark movie might have looked like.

http://www.denofgeek.com/us/movies/just ... ns-surface

Keycollectorcomics

Postby Keycollectorcomics » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:30 am

Does anyone have a backup plan for a bad movie?

Chessack

Great Scott!!!

Postby Chessack » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:40 am

Keycollectorcomics wrote:Does anyone have a backup plan for a bad movie?

I often wonder about these. Movies are made by dozens to hundreds of people. I know most of them are just cogs in the wheel, worrying about sanding down the surface of their particular props or getting the make-up right. But there are always multiple actors, a writer, a director, several A.D.s, cinematographers, executive producers, producers, production designers, VFX supervisors, and on and on. How come none of them ever seem to notice things like OBVIOUS plot holes, characters acting OUT of character, laugh lines that AREN'T funny, tonal inconsistencies, continuity errors, and so on?

I can understand it much more with a novel. The novel is written by ONE person; it all came out of that ONE person's head. There might be an editor or a couple of people the writer relies on for help with this, but it's a very tiny circle. And if it's a big writer like Patterson, they probably will just publish whatever he puts his name on. So when there are plot holes or inconsistencies or jokes that aren't funny and things like that, OK... there is one writer and he has a blind spot.

But with a movie, there are so many people... Couldn't SOMEONE have thought to ask Zack Snyder who the hell young Clark was pretending to be when he wrapped the red towel around his neck and Pa got all choked up? How could nobody involved in that scene have thought to question it? (I am just using this as an example, not claiming that this one scene made the whole MOS movie bad... it was bad for lots of reasons I won't get into here).

With George Lucas, I always assumed that since SW is his baby and 100% came from his mind, his ego would not allow anyone to question it. So many times in the behind-the-scenes footage if he does get questioned he'll say things like "That's just how it is" and dismiss the objections (they are rarely about anything serious, at least on the footage they let out). I assumed that he created an atmosphere that let people know "don't question the Master" and so they just did what he said.

But for other movies, that don't come out of one man's vision, are that many directors really like this? And do they have this much power? Did Zack Snyder really have so much power that no one could question him about the neck-snap scene? Or the red towel scene? Or did they question it and he dismissed it? And if so, why did he have the power to dismiss it? Why didn't someone higher up go, "Wait, these people have a point -- you are not the owner of this property you need to fix it."

I mean we know WB tried to interfere with Patty Jenkins in WW, and cut out some of the best scenes like the trench scene. We also know they interfered with both JL and SS to "add humor." So they are not above doing interfering. But they always seem to interfere in the wrong way.

Or is it not the vision of one person that fucks it up, but rather that a movie is more of a "camel" (what a horse would be if designed by a committee). Is it that too MANY people have input and only certain really good directors like Hitchcock can corral all that input into something functional? Is that why there are so many bad movies?

I've never been able to figure this out. With so many people involved, why didn't someone make them fix this? Maybe no one can... I dunno.

Spacedog

Expert Post Whore

Postby Spacedog » Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:10 pm

What I learned from the Green Lantern movie and Zack Snyder's DC films is, if you don't have a reliable insight about an intellectual property, you certainly shouldn't be allowed to create a movie about it. Just leave the characters alone.

If you move on without a good grasp of a concept/character, the results can be disastrous - and not only in monetary terms. Six years have passed since the Green Lantern shitty film, and GL is still considered a "toxic" concept. The damage was huge.

StrongStyleFiction

cheese

Postby StrongStyleFiction » Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:59 pm

Apparently, Patterson doesn't even bother writing his own novels anymore. That's the word around the campfire anyway.

Chessack

Great Scott!!!

Postby Chessack » Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:52 pm

StrongStyleFiction wrote:Apparently, Patterson doesn't even bother writing his own novels anymore. That's the word around the campfire anyway.

I don't know what people see in his books anyway.

But it doesn't change the point that a novel is written by one person, so it's easy to imagine that one person have huge blind spots to a story just taking place in his head. But when you get 10 or 20 people working on a scene, how can it be that NO ONE puts a stop to the bad stuff?

zryson

PЦИKЧ ВЯЁ&#106

Postby zryson » Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:06 am

Warner Bros. Rush To Catch Up With Marvel Ruined The DCEU
https://screenrant.com/dceu-failure-rus ... up-marvel/

leave a comment with facebook