Monday, August 20, 2018 • Morning Edition • "SCORE! The Outhouse does it again!"

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

The Random Chat Thread: we come in peace...

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Mac E Tero

dINGO

Postby Mac E Tero » Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:43 pm

Blue and grey Batman just looks cool. Also, Zecc.
User avatar

uz000

Great Scott!!!

Postby uz000 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:49 pm

Herald wrote:
NO. No, it's NOT "The Showdown You've Been Waiting For!"

Image

You haven't had to wait for that showdown since 1992. "Hie thee to a back issue bin!"

This is the problem with Dan and the Gang deluding readers into thinking everything started with the DiDio era, and ESPECIALLY the sucktacular DCnU. No sense of history. :smt011


Anyone who was reading DC pre-COIE could say "no sense of history" about everything produced afterwards.

I couldn't care less.
User avatar

Herald

Not a Kardashian

Postby Herald » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:53 pm

uz000 wrote:
Anyone who was reading DC pre-COIE could say "no sense of history" about everything produced afterwards.


They'd be WRONG. But in an age of "alternative facts" being acceptable to the uninformed and the unconcerned, I'm sure they could SAY that.

I couldn't care less.


Now, this gets to the heart of the matter. I did mention the unconcerned, didn't I?
User avatar

25 25 6

Motherfucker from Hell

Postby 25 25 6 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:27 pm

Herald wrote:
NO. No, it's NOT "The Showdown You've Been Waiting For!"

Image

You haven't had to wait for that showdown since 1992. "Hie thee to a back issue bin!"

This is the problem with Dan and the Gang deluding readers into thinking everything started with the DiDio era, and ESPECIALLY the sucktacular DCnU. No sense of history. :smt011


To be fair, I'm fairly certain they didn't mean for the first time ever and more likely,"The Showdown You've Been Waiting For That's We've Recently Been Building To." :D

That said...

DCU ended on the last page of Final Crisis to me. Same with Marvel and Hickman's Secret Wars. They're both the perfect sendoff fo r their respective universes.
User avatar

25 25 6

Motherfucker from Hell

Postby 25 25 6 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:34 pm

Dr. Hackenbush wrote:

Dude, you have no idea how much I need the counter-weight of slice-of-life anime to this fucking world we live in.
It's a balm for the soul, I tell ya!


lol. No, I feel you. I have my own fun and/or lightweight counters because, fuck, the world seems hellbent on me needing it more than ever, doesn't it?

My comment was more in line with expecting one thing and getting another. :D
User avatar

Spacedog

Expert Post Whore

Postby Spacedog » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:16 pm

Britain has appointed a Minister for Loneliness to deal with “the sad reality of modern life”.
Image

I thought that Morrissey has been occupying this position for decades. :lol:
User avatar

Spacedog

Expert Post Whore

Postby Spacedog » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:40 pm

No One wrote:
To be fair, I'm fairly certain they didn't mean for the first time ever and more likely,"The Showdown You've Been Waiting For That's We've Recently Been Building To." :D

That said...

DCU ended on the last page of Final Crisis to me. Same with Marvel and Hickman's Secret Wars. They're both the perfect sendoff fo r their respective universes.

I suppose it's a good thing that I have my own "personal continuity" - which is basically composed of my favorite stories and ideas from different eras. It allowed me to handle the frustrations caused by the way DC has been managed in the last 6-7 years.

As readers, we have the power to decide what is canon or not. Fuck these assholes.
User avatar

Moortron

Swedish Pinata of Death

Postby Moortron » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:00 pm

Spacedog wrote:I suppose it's a good thing that I have my own "personal continuity" - which is basically composed of my favorite stories and ideas from different eras. It allowed me to handle the frustrations caused by the way DC has been managed in the last 6-7 years.

As readers, we have the power to decide what is canon or not. Fuck these assholes.

I think this is a fairly good way to go about most fiction, rather than complaining about how dead horses are being beaten by idiots again. There's far too many worthwhile stories to enjoy outside of certain publishers and film studios to care much anymore.
User avatar

25 25 6

Motherfucker from Hell

Postby 25 25 6 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:21 pm

Spacedog wrote:I suppose it's a good thing that I have my own "personal continuity" - which is basically composed of my favorite stories and ideas from different eras. It allowed me to handle the frustrations caused by the way DC has been managed in the last 6-7 years.

As readers, we have the power to decide what is canon or not. Fuck these assholes.


Pretty much. I wouldn't necessarily advise Marvel doing what I'm about to say as their Universe is more or less linear or contained but with DC, I never understood why they just didn't/don't keep the Orrery of Worlds deliberately undesignated? By designating them all you fall into the trap of having to designate everything.
Why be that anal retentive when the benefit of doing the opposite is to have a flexibility to tell any story, in any time period free of needing to line up with anything else? Especially in a Universe that's as vast and *fictional* as the DCU is where you can make up as much or as little history as possible.

I believe they've made the excuse of,"Well all of those contrasting stories would confuse the reader, particularly new readers, if they're not designated." Right. Because constantly messing around with the timeline every three or four years is *great* for pulling people in and being accesible. /s :D

Only thing I can think of why they feel the need to force any particular continuity to matter is because of nerd obsessed fans who need everything they read to matter in order for them to read it. Most of the people who just want a good story will likely do what we do and make our own continuity. I'd serious give them so much cred if they were ballsy enough to outright make the tagline to the DCU,"Your Universe. Literally." That at least would spark some fun conversations between fans of what their peronsal continuities are. How similar they are, how different. Which ones do you count which ones don't. Or even deliberate ones that contradict each other. How'd you square Kingdom Come Bruce Wayne with I was Driven to Retirement Bruce Wayne?
User avatar

25 25 6

Motherfucker from Hell

Postby 25 25 6 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:28 pm

Moortron wrote:I think this is a fairly good way to go about most fiction, rather than complaining about how dead horses are being beaten by idiots again. There's far too many worthwhile stories to enjoy outside of certain publishers and film studios to care much anymore.


True. I think it's out of habit for some. The further I moved away, the more other fiction I ended up having time for or getting into. I told my wife this years ago and she just said that sometimes, your tastes just change. She said this to me because I had dropped so many things that I was fervently following and I said it felt weird to do so.
User avatar

Moortron

Swedish Pinata of Death

Postby Moortron » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:58 pm

No One wrote:
True. I think it's out of habit for some. The further I moved away, the more other fiction I ended up having time for or getting into. I told my wife this years ago and she just said that sometimes, your tastes just change. She said this to me because I had dropped so many things that I was fervently following and I said it felt weird to do so.

I think that's a part of it. In theory I'd still enjoy a good capeshit story but I haven't seen one that's gotten my attention and don't care much about what's going on with stories I stopped following a while ago.
User avatar

uz000

Great Scott!!!

Postby uz000 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:21 am

Spacedog wrote:
I suppose it's a good thing that I have my own "personal continuity" - which is basically composed of my favorite stories and ideas from different eras.


This is the only way to read comics from the big two. I am not concerned about the official continuity in any way.
User avatar

uz000

Great Scott!!!

Postby uz000 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:28 am

No One wrote:
To be fair, I'm fairly certain they didn't mean for the first time ever and more likely,"The Showdown You've Been Waiting For That's We've Recently Been Building To." :D



Completely agree.

No One wrote:That said...

DCU ended on the last page of Final Crisis to me. Same with Marvel and Hickman's Secret Wars. They're both the perfect sendoff fo r their respective universes.


Don't agree with this though ;)

Both those projects were poorly executed. These universes don't require a beginning or an end. They grow and expand forever, sometimes in good ways and sometimes bad.
User avatar

uz000

Great Scott!!!

Postby uz000 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:01 am

Up to episode 6 of season 2 of the Leftovers. Things are getting pretty intense and very exciting.

The show's weakness is that it is based on such a laughably stupid premise. I suspect Damon Lindelof is some sort of devout religious guy, because stupid religious ideas are all over this show.

Also season 2 has possibly the worst opening theme tune in all of television.

All that being said, taking a stupid idea and turning it into a gripping tense drama where you have no idea what is going to happen is very impressive. Very enjoyable.
User avatar

25 25 6

Motherfucker from Hell

Postby 25 25 6 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:34 am

uz000 wrote:
Completely agree.



Don't agree with this though ;)

Both those projects were poorly executed. These universes don't require a beginning or an end. They grow and expand forever, sometimes in good ways and sometimes bad.


Yeah, but to me, my personal connection to those two Universes, ended with those two series. Almost everything from both companies since then hasn't really hooked me because, again, my personal connection with them isn't there. That's what I meant by that. It was the perfect sendoff/jumping off point for me.

In Secret Wars, it ended on a note of hope and true new beginning for the Universe given what Reed, Sue and co were said to get up to. I can get behind that, Reed deciding to just be a dad instead of a superhero as Valeria and Franklin conspire to build worlds and universes. "Everything lives."

In Final Crisis, it's literally (or should've been) the last Crisis. It was big, loud, brimming with ideas and a much more preferable and better for setting up a new Universe than Flashpoint could ever hope to be.

The idea of a never-ending Universe that doesn't require a beginning or end is exactly what holds it back from being so much better. Everything ends eventually. It's what gives life itself spice. Life without death is as useless as death is without life. And having these characters hanging around for 60 plus years still dealing with the same basic foibles as they did decades ago is disheartening when you think of the potential of these characters being able to live and die, inspire others, a new generation of characters. I get why they don't I'm simply stating the obvious that having characters not be able to truly grow and essentially running in place hurts them as characters...as people.

leave a comment with facebook


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Draco x, FaceBook [Linkcheck], Google [Bot] and 36 guests