Sunday, May 20, 2018 • Afternoon Edition • "The CBR of comic book journalism."

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

All Of Marvel's 2018 GLAAD Nominated Books Have Been Cancelled

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron

Rain Partier

Postby LOLtron » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:06 pm

All Of Marvel's 2018 GLAAD Nominated Books Have Been Cancelled

The high profile nod should boost their sales. Oh wait...

Source: i09

Every year the LGBTQ+ advocacy group GLAAD acknowledges different media forms including televison, film, and books that portray positive aspects of queer people. This year's GLAAD Media Awards includes three Marvel comics: AmericaBlack Panther: World Of Wakanda, and Iceman. The downside is that when the award ceremony rolls around on April 12, all three titles will have been long cancelled.

America focused on being a queer immigrant going to college. World Of Wakanda explored the the complicated intimate lives of the Dora Milaje. Iceman followed Bobby Drake's life after coming out as a gay man.

It's not a stretch to see why Marvel cancelled these titles as sales have been down, but there are titles with even lower sales that haven't gotten the axe yet. It's unknown whether the nomination, or even a win, would have boosted sales on the titles now that they're cancelled, but we may get to see the effect with the other nominees: The BackstagersBatwomanDeadman: Dark Mansion of Forbidden LoveGoldie VanceLumberjanesQuantum Teens Are Go, and The Woods.

The 29th GLAAD Media Awards take place April 12, 2018 at 5:30pm at The Beverly Hilton in Beverly Hills.

Written or Contributed by Tim Midura

READ THIS ARTICLE ON THE FRONT PAGE, HUMANS!

HNutz

Rain Partier

Postby HNutz » Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:46 pm

HNutz on January 5th wrote:I bet, pretty soon, Marvel won't be listing America as an ongoing title, either...

Called it.

Look, with writing like this, is anyone really surprised?

I asked my LCS owner about this. He said that Marvel's main argument for buying the book wasn't the quality of the book, but because the writer was a __________ and a ___________. That's not really a good sign.

chap22

Rain Partier

Postby chap22 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:05 pm

More fuel for the argument that maybe, just MAYBE, comic publishers should quit writing to win Snowflake Awards and/or Twitter mentions and start writing to write good stories that hold mass appeal.

achilles

Rain Partier

Postby achilles » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:23 pm

chap22 wrote:More fuel for the argument that maybe, just MAYBE, comic publishers should quit writing to win Snowflake Awards and/or Twitter mentions and start writing to write good stories that hold mass appeal.

Absolutely. Why is this so hard for them to understand?

chap22

Rain Partier

Postby chap22 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:48 pm

achilles wrote:
Absolutely. Why is this so hard for them to understand?

IvCNuB4

Staff Writer

Postby IvCNuB4 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:11 pm

I read Deadman: Dark Mansion of Forbidden Love. It was a well written gothic mystery mini-series that had a supporting a character who happened to be trans. Sam was a relevant part of the plot that didn't sensationailze his/her gender identity.
Iceman was a pointless title featuring a previously hetero main character who was "outed" as gay for no other reason than an attempt at a sales bump via one of the most ridiculous sub-plots in recent history. Bobby Drake's endless angst over being gay and how he dealt with it was not well written or even remotely researched by the writer. If nothing else "turning" Bobby gay only helped support opinions that being and living as a gay man is a tortuous and non-productive way of life.

StrongStyleFiction

cheese

Postby StrongStyleFiction » Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:22 pm

Write better gay characters.

achilles

Rain Partier

Postby achilles » Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:23 pm

IvCNuB4 wrote:I read Deadman: Dark Mansion of Forbidden Love. It was a well written gothic mystery mini-series that had a supporting a character who happened to be trans. Sam was a relevant part of the plot that didn't sensationailze his/her gender identity.
Iceman was a pointless title featuring a previously hetero main character who was "outed" as gay for no other reason than an attempt at a sales bump via one of the most ridiculous sub-plots in recent history. Bobby Drake's endless angst over being gay and how he dealt with it was not well written or even remotely researched by the writer. If nothing else "turning" Bobby gay only helped support opinions that being and living as a gay man is a tortuous and non-productive way of life.

Sounds like the old saw about how when you see a wedding, a funeral, or a birth in a sitcom, it was a sign they'd run out of ideas. In other words, sensationalism in place of a real, compelling story. If you're going to do anything, do it for a story reason that is part of a good story, not just to push an agenda or try for a sales bump. Write good stories and sales should take care of themselves. I'm somewhat surprised to hear that DC managed to do it right for a change, as they've also been a big offender in the "good stories are HARD, let's just screw with the characters in some way" sweepstakes.

chap22

Rain Partier

Postby chap22 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:25 pm

IvCNuB4 wrote:I read Deadman: Dark Mansion of Forbidden Love. It was a well written gothic mystery mini-series that had a supporting a character who happened to be trans. Sam was a relevant part of the plot that didn't sensationailze his/her gender identity.

Yep. Damn gorgeous book too.

And I didn't read a panel of this book, but I could've predicted every bit of this description without even trying hard. Such a terrible, terrible, impossible-to-execute-properly idea from the get-go.

Clockwork_Fish

cheese

Postby Clockwork_Fish » Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:28 pm

chap22 wrote:More fuel for the argument that maybe, just MAYBE, comic publishers should quit writing to win Snowflake Awards and/or Twitter mentions and start writing to write good stories that hold mass appeal.

Problem is that what Marvel and DC tend to view as 'mass appeal' is to appeal to the same mass of aging white dudes that has been their core supporters since time immemorial. And which, thanks to time and entropy is ever-shrinking. They'll go back to their safety zone and squeeze their most devoted fans with events and price gouging.

I'd much rather Marvel go for 'broad' appeal instead of going for 'mass' appeal, with a variety of titles for a variety of people. Choice is good, whether it's reading material or salad dressing. They just need to not support the kind of dentist-drill-to-the-ear writing that was America.

chap22

Rain Partier

Postby chap22 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:33 pm

Clockwork_Fish wrote:
Problem is that what Marvel and DC tend to view as 'mass appeal' is to appeal to the same mass of aging white dudes that has been their core supporters since time immemorial. And which, thanks to time and entropy is ever-shrinking. They'll go back to their safety zone and squeeze their most devoted fans with events and price gouging.

I'd much rather Marvel go for 'broad' appeal instead of going for 'mass' appeal, with a variety of titles for a variety of people. Choice is good, whether it's reading material or salad dressing. They just need to not support the kind of dentist-drill-to-the-ear writing that was America.

Well, what I'd argue is the problem is that Marvel and DC (much moreso Marvel) think that "broad appeal" means a variety of books that each appeal to one particular demographic group of people, rather than a variety of books that each appeal to a variety of different groups. So instead of getting any high-selling books, what they got is a whole bunch of books that sell shitty numbers b/c outside of their one small target demographic, nobody else gives a shit.

SporkBot

Swedish Pinata of Death

Postby SporkBot » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:06 pm

achilles wrote:Absolutely. Why is this so hard for them to understand?

Same problem DC had/has...the desire for instant gratification winning out over long-term, well-considered commitment to quality. With Didio and Putz Brigade, you see it in Flashpoint, the New52, the Eternal books (where the editing was terrible and they were only done because of anniversaries and their obsession with the number of weeks in the year)...all reek of "BUY THIS NOW BECAUSE IT'S AWESOME!"

And DC's been guilty of pandering to underrepresented groups, even if they had people in charge that supported them. But support does not necessarily mean involvement or knowledge. I mean, yeah, certainly most people who say they are okay with this or that may know something about it or have a friend/relative that lives it. But having a gay best friend doesn't mean you know what's going on in their head, or what their life was like before you met them, or even how difficult their life was/wasn't.

But I haven't bought current Marvel in a dog's age, so I can't say what their comics have been like. But I can say, I got to like Miles Morales, because he felt like a unique character who happened to be diverse. He wasn't a token character or a classic character changed because of "the times a'changin'". And I notice that Kate Kane, though much of her is a callback to the original Batwoman, is also her own character, though not one that I particularly care about, but others seem to.

But some writers, editors, and higher-ups are either too scared or too lazy to put in the kind of time and effort. They'd rather think they can force lightning to go into the same damn bottle over and over. And if not...they'll fake it.

Clockwork_Fish

cheese

Postby Clockwork_Fish » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:23 pm

chap22 wrote:
Well, what I'd argue is the problem is that Marvel and DC (much moreso Marvel) think that "broad appeal" means a variety of books that each appeal to one particular demographic group of people, rather than a variety of books that each appeal to a variety of different groups. So instead of getting any high-selling books, what they got is a whole bunch of books that sell shitty numbers b/c outside of their one small target demographic, nobody else gives a shit.

That's more a problem of low sales in general though.

StrongStyleFiction

cheese

Postby StrongStyleFiction » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:01 pm

Clockwork_Fish wrote:
That's more a problem of low sales in general though.

Turns out, refusing to engage with the mainstream market, writing unreadable garbage and calling your dwindling reader base racist/homophobic/transphobic/ponyphobic scum on twitter leads to low sales. I mean, I can't for one figure out what they are doing wrong but then...I'm only a llama.

Windom URL

Rain Partier

Postby Windom URL » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:39 pm

These books won those awards because they feature superheroes with queer sexual identities, not because they were among the best-written, and those same characters probably wouldn't survive in the market if they all "cis het". There simply aren't enough readers who care about Iceman's unrealistic portrayal of life as a gay man with magical powers. While GLAAD gives them awards for briefly existing, I would posit that they actually may do more harm than good for superhero comics with LGBT+ themes because they were so badly written that readers outside of that small circle won't be likely to give future books that showcase gay superheroes another chance.

leave a comment with facebook