Saturday, November 17, 2018 • Afternoon Edition • "At least we're not ComicBook.com!"

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

Marvel Preview: Marvel 2-In-One #2

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

User avatar

LOLtron

Rain Partier

Postby LOLtron » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:21 pm

Johnny Storm reveals that being a flame-powered hero has a few perks with personal hygiene.



Source: Comics Continuum


The first issue of the resurrected Marvel-2-in-One was met with nearly all positive reviews. Zdarsky hit high notes with his writing of both Johnny and Ben and how they have been dealing with the disappearance of the rest of the team. Ben did his best to look after Johnny however in the process he told Torch something that may or may not be true.




Marvel's
solicit
for this issue says:

"The Fate of the Four," part two. What is the secret of Reed Richards? And is it deep within Monster Island? Ben and Johnny are the only ones who can uncover it, unless Doom beats them to it!
THE FATE OF THE FOUR continues here!



Written by:
Chip Zdarsky
Art by: Jim Cheung, John Dell & Walden Wong
Colors by: Frank Martin
Cover by: Jim Cheung & Justin Ponsor
Variant Cover by: Gabriele Dell'Otto
32 pages
$3.99 (US)
On sale: January 24, 2018



















Written or Contributed by IvCNuB4


READ THIS ARTICLE ON THE FRONT PAGE, HUMANS!
User avatar

Amoebas

Son of Stein

Postby Amoebas » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:08 pm

This book makes me smile. It's just so great to see the real Ben and Johnny again!
User avatar

Amoebas

Son of Stein

Postby Amoebas » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:13 pm

That was one sweeeeet book.

Loved the monster clash. Loved the Doom interaction. Despised Ben & Reed on their first adventure (because I thought it was heading towards a huge retcon- which it didn't so I loved it).
User avatar

chap22

Rain Partier

Postby chap22 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:43 pm

Aw man, you guys...YOU GUYS. This is not a comic book, it is a funny, sad, heartwarming, heartbreaking, nostalgia-inciting, future-facing, masterpiece of a 4-color love letter to Comics' First Family. I think I like this issue even more than I did the first one, and I LOVVVVVVED the first one. Cheung is a master, and Zdarsky just writes the perfect Ben and Johnny (and his Doom is pretty fucking great too). I mean PERFECT. I could literally read his Ben-Doom interactions for eternity, they are amazing. The only flaw I can find with this book at all is the date given for Ben's flashback to their ESU college days, b/c going by that year it now means I'm officially older than in-continuity Reed Richards. Beyond that...just wonderful.
User avatar

Rebirth NoctourneM

Rain Partier

Postby Rebirth NoctourneM » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:48 pm

Chip Zdarsky: Saving your favorite characters from bad writers since 2017. :drunk
User avatar

chap22

Rain Partier

Postby chap22 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:53 pm

Rebirth NoctourneM wrote:Chip Zdarsky: Saving your favorite characters from bad writers since 2017. :drunk


Seriously, between this and PPTSSM, he's a strong 2-for-2 on "Chap faves reclamation projects"
User avatar

Amoebas

Son of Stein

Postby Amoebas » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:27 am

chap22 wrote: The only flaw I can find with this book at all is the date given for Ben's flashback to their ESU college days, b/c going by that year it now means I'm officially older than in-continuity Reed Richards. Beyond that...just wonderful.

But, but, but Reed was old enough to fight in World War II. You just ruined the book for me Chappy!

PS - no you didn't.
The book's still 99.999999% perfect. (for me it loses a 100,000 of a point because some idiot (me) left a tear drop on the last page because they were so happy with the book).
User avatar

Jack Burton

Fagorstorm

Postby Jack Burton » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:51 am

chap22 wrote:Aw man, you guys...YOU GUYS. This is not a comic book, it is a funny, sad, heartwarming, heartbreaking, nostalgia-inciting, future-facing, masterpiece of a 4-color love letter to Comics' First Family. I think I like this issue even more than I did the first one, and I LOVVVVVVED the first one. Cheung is a master, and Zdarsky just writes the perfect Ben and Johnny (and his Doom is pretty fucking great too). I mean PERFECT. I could literally read his Ben-Doom interactions for eternity, they are amazing. The only flaw I can find with this book at all is the date given for Ben's flashback to their ESU college days, b/c going by that year it now means I'm officially older than in-continuity Reed Richards. Beyond that...just wonderful.


Everything you said.

I even had the same thought on the date they had for their ESU day.

I was a college freshman in 1998(uggggggh). I can't/refuse to be the same age as Reed/Doom/Ben because as I told my wife they are my fictional Dad and Uncles. Being their age feels so strange.

Anyhow I adored this book. Zsarsky is clearly a long time FF nerd(which as one myself I can appreciate on multiple levels). He knows the characters voices and how they react. He remembered Alicia exists! I HATE how so many FF writers just don't use her anymore. She knows Ben better than probably anyone else in Marvel INCLUDING his family.

Doom was magnificent here as well. You want to make a non-evil Doom comic? Give it to Zdarsky. I may not be in love with the idea but if he's written this well I could easily become in love with it. Zdarsky remembered Doom and Ben's rivalry. They hate eash other but unlike Reed, Doom doesn't respect Ben at all. I always loved that about them. No respect it's all hostility.

Cheung is also bringing the Kirby love. I've been rereading a lot of Kirby in the past year and man do I love his monsters. Any excuse to bring Giganto around I am in.

Gimme more of this forever I adored it.
User avatar

Amoebas

Son of Stein

Postby Amoebas » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:06 am

chap22 wrote:The only flaw I can find with this book at all is the date given for Ben's flashback to their ESU college days, b/c going by that year it now means I'm officially older than in-continuity Reed Richards.


Jack Burton wrote:I even had the same thought on the date they had for their ESU day.

I was a college freshman in 1998(uggggggh). I can't/refuse to be the same age as Reed/Doom/Ben because as I told my wife they are my fictional Dad and Uncles. Being their age feels so strange.


I feel for you.

When I saw the date, I was reminded of the day when I saw a Playboy Playmate with a birthdate that could make her my daughter. That was quite an existential moment for me.
User avatar

Jack Burton

Fagorstorm

Postby Jack Burton » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:18 am

Amoebas wrote:


I feel for you.

When I saw the date, I was reminded of the day when I saw a Playboy Playmate with a birthdate that could make her my daughter. That was quite an existential moment for me.


Yeah it's just like that. Even knowing I've been older than Spider-Man for years never hit me like this one does. I think it's because Pete started out as a teenager and always read younger.

Reed has always been the Marvel Universe's Dad. Even more so than someone like Captain America. So being his age and now realizing I have kid's around the same age as his is bizarre. Especially since I just re-read Fantastic Four Annual #6 the other night and realized Franklin is turning 50 this November.
User avatar

chap22

Rain Partier

Postby chap22 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:57 am

Jack Burton wrote:
Yeah it's just like that. Even knowing I've been older than Spider-Man for years never hit me like this one does. I think it's because Pete started out as a teenager and always read younger.

Reed has always been the Marvel Universe's Dad. Even more so than someone like Captain America. So being his age and now realizing I have kid's around the same age as his is bizarre. Especially since I just re-read Fantastic Four Annual #6 the other night and realized Franklin is turning 50 this November.


Yeah, it's one thing to realize you're older than Spidey and the Torch. It's wholly another to realize you're older than Ben and stodgy old gray-templed dad Reed...really makes you start to feel your mortality. :-(
User avatar

IvCNuB4

Staff Writer

Postby IvCNuB4 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:33 pm

Doom showing up was a good surprise although I suppose I should have expected that. I haven't read any other Marvel titles in over a year so I'm not sure if Doom is as reformed as he claims to be, but I'm guessing "not really". :P
The conversation between Ben and Alicia in the beginning seemed a bit "clunky" at times, especially when she was talking about her Skrull imposter and Ben "sometimes forgetting" that Alicia is blind. I know it's a phrase but it almost seemed thoughtless on his part.
The battle in the cave was nicely done as were Doom's quips towards Ben. :D
User avatar

HNutz

Rain Partier

Postby HNutz » Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:18 pm

Really fun stuff.

Would love to see Zdarsky write the ENTIRE FF.
User avatar

Stephen Day

Wrasslin' Fan

Postby Stephen Day » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:17 am

I loved the fact that Googam is now a citizen of Subterranea. I hope this is built up on. My favourite moments and stories featuring Mole man were when he was dealing with rival rulers in Subterraea. He hasn't been involved in that sort of story in awhile.

leave a comment with facebook


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests