Saturday, November 17, 2018 • Evening Edition • "Manufacturing outrage since 2006."

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

Black Panther Has Fifth Biggest Box-Office Opening Of All Time

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron

Rain Partier

Postby LOLtron » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:49 am

Black Panther Has Fifth Biggest Box-Office Opening Of All Time

The film brought in $192 million in three days.

Source: CNN

Black PantherMarvel's first film directed by an African-American, has brought in $192 million in its North American opening weekend, giving the film the fifth biggest opening of all time. The film has the second largest opening for a Marvel film behind The Avengers' take of $207 million.

The only films above Black Panther and The Avengers on the top opening weekend list are Star Wars: The Force Awakens at $247 million, Star Wars: The Last Jedi at $220 million, and Jurassic World at $208 million.

Black Panther, directed by Ryan Coogler, stars Chadwick Boseman, Michael B. Jordan, Lupita Nyong'o, Danai Gurira, Martin Freeman, Daniel Kaluuya, Letitia Wright, Winston Duke, Angela Bassett, Forest Whitaker, and Andy Serkis.

Written or Contributed by Tim Midura

READ THIS ARTICLE ON THE FRONT PAGE, HUMANS!

Belle-Tain Summer

Garbage Collector

Postby Belle-Tain Summer » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:09 am

Obviously it would have been the biggest if it weren't for SJW's virtue signalling fake diversity dragging it down, right? :-D :lol: :groucho:

Seriously though, someone explain to me again why diversity is bad and unwanted again?

Spacedog

Expert Post Whore

Postby Spacedog » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:13 am

Black Panther brings very positive changes for the superhero genre and 'mainstream' entertainment in general.

I'm eagerly waiting for a predominantly Asian cast for a Master of Kung-Fu movie.

Belle-Tain Summer

Garbage Collector

Postby Belle-Tain Summer » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:23 am

Spacedog wrote:Black Panther brings very positive changes for the superhero genre and 'mainstream' entertainment in general.

I'm eagerly waiting for a predominantly Asian cast for a Master of Kung-Fu movie.

I too want to see a Ranma 1/2 movie.

PaulSebert

Bron-Yur Stomper

Postby PaulSebert » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:03 pm

Belle-Tain Summer wrote:Obviously it would have been the biggest if it weren't for SJW's virtue signalling fake diversity dragging it down, right? :-D :lol: :groucho:

Seriously though, someone explain to me again why diversity is bad and unwanted again?

The anti-diversity crowd seem to be angry, somewhat middle aged fans who see different people coming in and wanting them off of their yard. "This is our clubhouse, get out!"

Some have tried to pigback the issue of traditional brick and mortar comic stores closing but well... that's sort of like blaming fricken Milestone for the industry crash of '96.

A lot of stores are suffering due to raising prices, predatory tactics by both Marvel and DC, and increased digital competition. Not because there's an Iron Man comic with a Black girl in it.

Bianco

rubber spoon

Postby Bianco » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:25 pm

Belle-Tain Summer wrote:Obviously it would have been the biggest if it weren't for SJW's virtue signalling fake diversity dragging it down, right? :-D :lol: :groucho:

I think a lot of people don't mind diversity if it's done correctly, which I guess is subjective

For others yes it's equivalent of "get these damn kids off my lawn"

cbikle

Swedish Pinata of Death

Postby cbikle » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:00 am

Bianco wrote:
I think a lot of people don't mind diversity if it's done correctly, which I guess is subjective

For others yes it's equivalent of "get these damn kids off my lawn"

Most old school comics fans are pretty accepting of racial changes (after awhile) as long as everything else is pretty close to the tone/spirit of the character(s) and is respectful.

Rebirth NoctourneM

Rain Partier

Postby Rebirth NoctourneM » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:30 am

cbikle wrote:
Most old school comics fans are pretty accepting of racial changes (after awhile) as long as everything else is pretty close to the tone/spirit of the character(s) and is respectful.

Not so much the traditional Disney "Kill the Past" approach.

Rockman

Rain Partier

Postby Rockman » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:21 am

I think the anti diversity stuff is overblown.

Lady Ghostbusters sucked, not because it had lady Ghostbusters, but because it wasn't a good movie. Notice there weren't highly publicised sexist attacks on wonder woman? Probably because it was actually good and didn't need take drama to try to drive sales

Grayson

Outhouse Drafter

Postby Grayson » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:49 am

Rockman wrote:I think the anti diversity stuff is overblown.

Lady Ghostbusters sucked, not because it had lady Ghostbusters, but because it wasn't a good movie. Notice there weren't highly publicised sexist attacks on wonder woman? Probably because it was actually good and didn't need take drama to try to drive sales

I liked Ghostbusters but I can admit that it wasn't a great movie. However I'd argue that Ghostbusters was a perfect example of how bad this anti-diversity movement can be. It didn't deserve the amount of viotrol that was directed at it on-line and it certainly didn't deserve the coordinated attacks it received on websites like YouTube or IMDb. Similar campaigns have already been atttempted for Black Panther but were thankfully shut down before gaining much traction and let's not forget about those false reports of assault at showings of the film.

zryson

YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby zryson » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:25 am

'Black Panther' has already made more money in America than 'Justice League'
http://comicbook.com/marvel/2018/02/20/ ... ce-league/

zryson

YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby zryson » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:34 am

Black Panther in just five days is set to cross the half billion dollar mark. The rate its going, Black Panther will top the entire box office for Justice League. Who would have thought that a less popular character would be more popular than the entire Justice League?

Magic Sam

Mad Hatter

Postby Magic Sam » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:41 am

We're going tomorrow and I can't wait.

leave a comment with facebook