Thursday, October 18, 2018 • Evening Edition • "Resistance is futile."

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

Legacy of The Killing Joke

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Johnny Smith

biny little tird

Postby Johnny Smith » Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:00 pm

Found this analysis while wandering the Guardian website after reading the Eccleston interview 8)

https://www.theguardian.com/books/booksblog/2018/mar/14/the-killing-joke-at-30-what-is-the-legacy-of-alan-moore-shocking-batman-comic

Published three decades ago, Moore’s take on Batman has been polarising readers ever since, with the writer himself calling it a ‘regrettable misstep’ – but is there good to be found in this violent and troubling comic?

Bianco

rubber spoon

Postby Bianco » Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:30 pm

I've always been conflicted by this. I hated it because I'm a huge Barbara Gordon as Batgirl fan. However at the end we got a stronger character in Oracle

Grayson

Outhouse Drafter

Postby Grayson » Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:45 pm

The Killing Joke is the result of the hubris of the comic book industry at the time and it capitalized on the success of books like the Dark Knight Returns and Watchmen. I will maintain to this day that Oracle is the better version of Barbara Gordon but the steps that were taken in order to get her there were unnecessary.

Magic Sam

Mad Hatter

Postby Magic Sam » Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:20 pm

The quality of the writing and art is the only thing that matters. This is top 1%.

MikeinLA

cheese

Postby MikeinLA » Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:33 pm

I think it's a solid story with great art. Parts of it are very squicky, obviously. Still debating whether or not believing Batman snaps and kills Joker in the end makes it more or less so.

Zechs

Outhouse Editor

Postby Zechs » Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:26 pm

Bianco wrote:I've always been conflicted by this. I hated it because I'm a huge Barbara Gordon as Batgirl fan. However at the end we got a stronger character in Oracle

Tell that to DC who kind of regressed the character in the New 52 yet defined her still by the story.

LiamA

cheese

Postby LiamA » Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:51 pm

It's got that sort of pseudo-Nietzsche nihilist writing that was rather common at the time.

Glaeken

Motherfucker from Hell

Postby Glaeken » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:10 pm

People list Watchman and Dark Knight Returns as the beginning of the Dark Age for DC, but this was the real start for the proper DCU.

Magic Sam

Mad Hatter

Postby Magic Sam » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:25 pm

Glaeken wrote:People list Watchman and Dark Knight Returns as the beginning of the Dark Age for DC, but this was the real start for the proper DCU.
The 80s was when DC became great. Wolfman's Teen Titans and Moore's Swamp Thing were 2 of the first great books.

chap22

Rain Partier

Postby chap22 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:58 pm

Magic Sam wrote:The 80s was when DC became great. Wolfman's Teen Titans and Moore's Swamp Thing were 2 of the first great books.

And Suicide Squad. JLI. Byrne's Superman. Perez's WW. Bats Year One. Etc. So yeah, sure, DC had a renaissance in the 80s. But in fairness, most of those books were pre-TKJ, DKR, Watchmen, and the other stuff that later writers took all the wrong lessons from.

Magic Sam

Mad Hatter

Postby Magic Sam » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:04 pm

There was a thread I started about great Big 2 hero books. I'm surprised none of us mentioned COIE.

Magic Sam

Mad Hatter

Postby Magic Sam » Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:35 pm

Batman: The Dark Knight Returns, by Frank Miller and Klaus Janson (DC)
Eisner Award / Harvey Award winners[edit]
Original graphic novels[edit]
Batman: The Killing Joke by Alan Moore and Brian Bolland
Watchmen by Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons

The Killing Joke, DKR, and Watchmen all won the Eisner, Harvey, and/or Kirby award for Best GN.

leave a comment with facebook