Sunday, October 21, 2018 • Midnight Edition • "For when you've got nowhere else to go."

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

The Elders of the Universe

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Stephen Day

Wrasslin' Fan

Postby Stephen Day » Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:37 pm

Last Wednesday I read the first issue of Infinity Countdown. The Gardener was featured in a prominent story position in that issue. When this is combined with the fact that the Grandmaster is currently being used as one of the main foes in the weekly No Surrender story arc in Avengers and it seems like a good time to start a thread dedicated to the Elders of the Universe.

Which of the Elders are your favourites? Which ones don't you like? What are the stories you like that featured any of the Elders? Are there any you didn't like? Do you prefer to see them as individual characters in a story or as a group? Thoughts?

Amoebas

Son of Stein

Postby Amoebas » Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:13 am

Oh, absolutely as individuals! And, my own preference is for the ones that existed before they were a 'team'.

Ranking my faves from best to last...

Champion (but only for M2in1 Annual 7, he should never have appeared again after that).
Grandmaster
Kamo Tharnn
Runner
Mr Buda
Ego
Stranger
Collector

The Englehart ones and some of Gru's later Elders are just silly imo and not worth ranking (Architech, Explorer, Obliterator, Astronomer, Judicator, Trader, etc.).

LoganRSA

FROGMAN

Postby LoganRSA » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:31 am

Collector and Grandmaster are wonderful ideas that have been used very well in the past. The Champion's first appearance was one of my favorite issues of all time, but they really went out of their way to destroy him as a character later.

Jack Burton

Fagorstorm

Postby Jack Burton » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:01 am

The Champion for two reasons.

1)Marvel Two In One Annual 7. It rules and see my avatar for proof.

2)The episode of Wrasslor from the Dial M For Monkey series(part of Dexter's Labratory). Wrasslor was an homage of the Champion voiced by Macho Man Randy Savage. So now whenever I see the Champion in comics he sounds like the Macho Man which always makes my my inner 9 year old happy.

Grayson

Outhouse Drafter

Postby Grayson » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:16 am

Jack Burton wrote:The Champion for two reasons.

1)Marvel Two In One Annual 7. It rules and see my avatar for proof.

2)The episode of Wrasslor from the Dial M For Monkey series(part of Dexter's Labratory). Wrasslor was an homage of the Champion voiced by Macho Man Randy Savage. So now whenever I see the Champion in comics he sounds like the Macho Man which always makes my my inner 9 year old happy.

If some future artist were to accidentally redesign the Champion to look even more like the Macho Man...I wouldn't mind. On balance, off balance, doesn't matter. The Champion is better than you! Oh yeah! 8)

chap22

Rain Partier

Postby chap22 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:27 am

My first exposure as a kid to any of the Elders was in this gem (see what I did there?):

So the Gardener's always been a fave. Upon reading about a bunch of the others over the years, my list probably looks like:

Grandmaster
Gardener
Champion (same reasons as everybody else)
Ego
Collector
Stranger
Runner

And beyond that, not much love from me. But I really like those guys. As for favorite stories, most anything with the Grandmaster involved, the recent GotG stuff has been good, MTIO Annual 7, and I really loved all the early Englehart/Rogers/Lim Silver Surfer stuff where the Elders worked as a group to try and kill Galactus.

MikeinLA

cheese

Postby MikeinLA » Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:49 pm

I didn't think Ego nor the Stranger were Elders of the Universe. I thought the group was only:

Collector
Grandmaster
Contemplator
Gardener
Champion
Runner

In any event, they're ok. Collector's cool. I really liked the Marvel Team Up story that had him at odds against Spidey and Alpha Flight:

Stephen Day

Wrasslin' Fan

Postby Stephen Day » Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:34 pm

Amoebas wrote:The Englehart ones and some of Gru's later Elders are just silly imo and not worth ranking (Architech, Explorer, Obliterator, Astronomer, Judicator, Trader, etc.).

I don't think a character like the Astronomer is any less silly an idea than the Gardiner. I think the problem with the later ones is that they were introduced in groups with the idea being, "Look here are some more Elders." The original Elders were made up individually and only later thrown together as a group. As a result the older characters had time and space to be given some individual character development that the later characters have never had.

achilles

Rain Partier

Postby achilles » Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:12 pm

Oh sorry, thought this thread was about The Rolling Stones and The Who... :oops:

Glaeken

Motherfucker from Hell

Postby Glaeken » Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:06 am

The Grandmaster so baddass, it took the Avengers to team up with Conan to beat him.

And the Runner is just a vacuous golden pretty boy.

leave a comment with facebook