Sunday, May 20, 2018 • Evening Edition • "Be glad we're not indoors."

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

Movie Thanos' Origin Will Be Told In A Book

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron

Rain Partier

Postby LOLtron » Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:11 pm

Does this herald the Marvel Cinematic-Novel Universe?

Source: The Marvel Cinematic Universe's Thanos Origin Will Be Revealed, But Not in a Movie

The big tenth anniversary Marvel movie, Avengers: Infinity War, is just around the corner. If you are on this site, and were somehow living under a rock, the movie will finally show off the big, bad villain Thanos who first appeared in the Marvel Cinematic Universe in the first Avengers movie as a tease. The directors of Infinity War have stated that the movie is basically from Thanos' perspective and did give the broad strokes of his origin (different from the comics version) before (SPOILERS if you want to go into the movie clean):

"He's from a planet called Titan. Many years prior to the film his planet was experiencing a cataclysmic shift. They were running out of resources, and they were overpopulated. Thanos made a recommendation that they exterminate half the population randomly in order to save the rest of the population. Of course, the Titans rejected his notion, branded him a mad man, exiled him, and the planet ended up dying. So he has taken it upon himself to go planet-by-planet throughout the universe and wipe out half of the population of each planet as a way to correct the planet and bring it back into balance. Once he hears about the stones, he realizes that if he can get hold of all of the Infinity Stones he can control the entire universe. With the snap of his fingers he could correct the universe permanently by removing 50 per cent of life from it. So, these are incredible stakes for our characters. If the Avengers were built for anything, it's for stopping Thanos from completing his goal."

We will be getting a more fleshed out version of the origins of Thanos, but that version of the story will not be in movie form, rather than in a book. Sister Disney property Star Wars has its unified canon, which has (almost) all of its products (eg. comics, novels, television, movies) sharing the same universe. With this upcoming book, it seems like Marvel might be trying this kind of continuity out, as the book will be considered "canon" to the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

Here's the summary for the book Thanos - Titan Consumed by Barry Lyga (ANOTHER SPOILER WARNING! The last third of the summary may be spoiling Avengers: Infinity War in a big way):

Space. Reality. Mind. Power. Time. Soul.

Before creation itself, there were six singularities. Then the universe exploded into existence, and the remnants of these systems were forged into concentrated ingots...

Infinity Stones.

Only beings of immense power can hope to wield these stones, but for those who are worthy, the powers of a god await.

Thanos is one such being. But he wasn't always.

Born on a doomed world and cast out by his people for his genius, physical deviancy, and pragmatic but monstrous ideas, Thanos is determined to save the galaxy from the same fate as his homeworld... no matter how many billions have to die.

Learn the origins of the most formidable foe the Avengers, the Guardians of the Galaxy, Doctor Strange, and Black Panther have ever faced—a foe whom even a group of remarkable people, pulled together to fight the battles nobody else could, will fail to stop....

Dread it. Run from it. Destiny still arrives.

Thanos is here.

Lyga says that there will be nods to events from the different Marvel movies weaved into the book:

"That was one of my main goals in the novel and, in fact, was the main reason I agreed to write it! I really hope that certain bits in the book will make people go, “Oh, so now that cool scene from that one movie is even cooler!” I really wanted to reverse-engineer those moments we’ve all seen already—in Guardians, in Avengers—and show how we got to them."

You can get consumed by Thanos - Titan Consumed when the book invades booktores in November.

thanostitanconsumedcvr.jpgThanos - Titan Consumed cover

Written or Contributed by sdsichero

READ THIS ARTICLE ON THE FRONT PAGE, HUMANS!

Glacier16

cheese

Postby Glacier16 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:18 pm

That sounds really fucking stupid.

Glaeken

Motherfucker from Hell

Postby Glaeken » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:40 pm

And my interest dropped when the called Titan a planet.

Eric Ratcliffe

Staff Writer

Postby Eric Ratcliffe » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:56 pm

Did the book description just spoil the ending of the movie? :lol:

Clockwork_Fish

cheese

Postby Clockwork_Fish » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:11 pm

Wow. That's really dumb. Like ... end of Mass Effect 3 dumb. How is this better than his comic book backstory and motivation? At least Marvel is consistent in making most of their villains underwhelming.

achilles

Rain Partier

Postby achilles » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:29 pm

Clockwork_Fish wrote:Wow. That's really dumb. Like ... end of Mass Effect 3 dumb. How is this better than his comic book backstory and motivation? At least Marvel is consistent in making most of their villains underwhelming.

Look at it this way, at least it's a better backstory and motivation than the DCCEU gives its villains. Let's see, what exactly WAS Zod's big plan? Make Earth like Krypton so his people would have powers? Check, brilliant one, that. Maybe he deserved a little sore neck...

Ares motivation and backstory was.....even dumber. He somehow managed to kill all the other gods by saying "Martha" at them, or something. I'm going with Martha, as they never really explained how a poser like Ares, the evident British middle manager of Gods of War managed to beat all the other gods. Especially since Athena is ALSO a god of war, and NOT a middle manager.

His big plan was....incomprehensible, even worse than Luthor's in BvS. Let's see a god of war spending decades in the British government on the off chance he'll get a shot at tanking peace? Why not, oh, I don't know, do something god of warish?

And Luthor's motivation....was I think....to get back Facebook for...oh, wait, wrong movie. Actually, I couldn't figure out why the hell Luthor wanted to do whatever the hell he was trying to do.

Earth, Wind, and Fire's backstory was so beyond stupid it was almost insulting. And his motivation was apparently because he was EVIL, and also really, really loves his mother....

They SHOULD have ended that movie with a dance off to "Born to Be Mild".

Thanos' movie motivations might be....stupid, but hell, at least he has one he can articulate when someone asks him why he's doing all that....

And, I gather from the trailers that we find out that movie Thanos can actually STAND and WALK in this one, so I'm good even if book/movie Thanos is kind of retarded.

leave a comment with facebook