Tuesday, September 25, 2018 • Midnight Edition • "At least we're not The Comics Reporter!"

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

No One At Marvel Told Matt Rosenberg That Preorders Are Everything

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron

Rain Partier

Postby LOLtron » Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:33 pm

No One At Marvel Told Matt Rosenberg That Preorders Are Everything

Rosenberg recently dissed the preorder system.

Source: Twitter

Ask any comics professional and they'll tell you that preorders are the only thing that matters. They're the lifeblood of the comics industry. If you're not preordering comics, you might as well be murdering your mother. Everyone from Peter David to Brian Michael Bendis toes the line. Preorder or die.

But apparently no one told freshly minted Marvel Comics writer Matt Rosenberg about this. You would assume it would be covered extensively in Scott Snyder's DC writing class, but maybe Rosenberg was outside smoking with the cool kids when Snyder taught it.

If we enjoyed comic books, we'd be out of work.

As long as that stuff you like is paying the high price of comics.

Written or Contributed by Tim Midura

READ THIS ARTICLE ON THE FRONT PAGE, HUMANS!

Garofani Spruzzo

Rain Partier

Postby Garofani Spruzzo » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:20 pm

Yes I will keep not buying Marvel or DC comics in any format. Thank you for the unnecessary but welcome validation of my choices, man I've never heard of.

Johnny Smith

biny little tird

Postby Johnny Smith » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:56 pm

Windom URL wrote:Yes I will keep not buying Marvel or DC comics in any format. Thank you for the unnecessary but welcome validation of my choices, man I've never heard of.

He’s the next big thing at Marvel :wink:

Punchy

Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:25 am

Rosenberg is right on the money here.

People should be allowed to buy and read in whatever format they wish.

RobThompson

cheese

Postby RobThompson » Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:28 am

Punchy wrote:Rosenberg is right on the money here.

People should be allowed to buy and read in whatever format they wish.

They already are.

But yes, Rosenberg's point seems a valid one.

Chessack

Great Scott!!!

Postby Chessack » Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:27 am

Go him.

each issue preordered at your LCS can help the life of the book. But that is NEVER on the individual reader. Buy your books how you want. Don't feel guilty. It's not your job to care about sales numbers & attrition rates. It's your job to enjoy your books.

I beat this drum every time some prima donna writer or editor complains that not enough people buy books the "right way" (usually right after said writer/editor's crap book got the cancellation it so richly deserved). There is no other industry I can think of in which the product creators feel free to tell their customers how to buy their product.

I don't recall Dell trying to tell people to buy desktops over laptops because desktops give them a higher profit margin. I don't recall any movie studio demanding its customers watch 3D instead of 2D versions of the movie in theaters. I'm not aware of many writers who demand people buy hardcovers instead of paperbacks. Why do comic-book creators think it's appropriate to tell their customers how to buy their product from among the various legitimate methods of purchase?

And more specifically if Marvel wanted people to buy paper floppies rather than digitals or trades, why does Marvel publish digitals or trade? I mean the idea that a company would produce a product and then tell people not to buy it is patently absurd.

Chessack

Great Scott!!!

Postby Chessack » Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:29 am

Punchy wrote:People should be allowed to buy and read in whatever format they wish.

Agreed but I'd amend, "and not be lambasted for doing it by the very people from whom they are purchasing that product."

RobThompson

cheese

Postby RobThompson » Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:33 am

Chessack wrote:Agreed but I'd amend, "and not be lambasted for doing it by the very people from whom they are purchasing that product."

This is truly the issue. People can already buy whatever books they want, but in the comic book business it has somehow become acceptable for the people putting out the product to insult and harass the people buying their product.

IvCNuB4

Staff Writer

Postby IvCNuB4 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:30 am

Chessack wrote:Agreed but I'd amend, "and not be lambasted for doing it by the very people from whom they are purchasing that product."

But it's okay to be dressed down by other posters? Over the last few years Chessack has frequently lambasted anyone who spends money on variant covers. :lol:

That said, I never pre-order. I've never had any reason to.

Punchy

Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:40 pm

RobThompson wrote:This is truly the issue. People can already buy whatever books they want, but in the comic book business it has somehow become acceptable for the people putting out the product to insult and harass the people buying their product.

Yup.

I also think the way the comics industry talks about pre-ordering makes it sound way more complicated and difficult than it actually is.

If your comic shop is any good, you can go in and go 'hi, please can I set up a standing order? My name is BLANK and I would like to order BLANK'. And then, since your shop knows you, you can add and subtract stuff as you please! My LCS even adds stuff for me that they know I will like. They knew I read Hawkeye, so they added Old Man Hawkeye for me.

I think they assume that every comics fan is some kind of socially awkward weirdo who can't have a conversation with shop staff.

Chessack

Great Scott!!!

Postby Chessack » Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:01 pm

In addition to what Punchy said, good shops also, once they know you, will contact you about new releases you might not know about. For instance, since they know I am a big Supergirl fan, when a new statue or action figure gets announced, my shop owner will usually email me asking if I want one (and since I always say 'yes' then he keeps doing it).

RobThompson

cheese

Postby RobThompson » Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:14 pm

It is a funny thing. If one treats their customer politely and gets to know them, instead of treating them poorly and telling them they are stupid, those customers tend to keep buying one's products.

leave a comment with facebook