Sunday, December 9, 2018 • Evening Edition • "Thoughtful analysis of important cultural issues."

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

The Random Chat Thread: we come in peace...

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

RobThompson

cheese

Postby RobThompson » Wed May 16, 2018 7:11 am

Neurotic Moose wrote:Are you fucking kidding me with this shit CBS? Of course it was always a given that your attempt to reboot Magnum P.I. would be terrible, but did it have to be this fucking insulting to the proud name of Thomas Magnum and his glorious Hawaiian shirts and mighty stache? What the fuck is wrong with you people? Image

There really is no good news coming out of this production. On the plus side, it did lead to my re-watching the original series, which I really enjoyed.

uz000

Great Scott!!!

Postby uz000 » Wed May 16, 2018 7:26 am

Neurotic Moose wrote:So Marvel finally ponied up for a print run of the second half of Jason Aaron's years long Wolverine run in an omnibus format with the Wolverine Goes To Hell Omnibus, which just arrived today and man, what an absolute blast it is. There's way too much to go into beyond saying that this is pure joy and excitement crammed into the comic book format, I would go so far as to say the entire run is probably the definitive take on the character just because it pays off so so much. It's making me genuinely concerned for my wallet because if Marvel doesn't do a reprint in the near future I'm probably going to have to buy a second hand aftermarket copy of the Ghost Rider by Jason Aaron omnibus as well as the Wolverine and The X-men omnibus, because these are things I need in my collection yesterday!

Both Aaron's runs on Ghostrider & Wolverine and the X-men are absolutely great. I've never read his solo Wolverine run.

Neurotic Moose

Motherfucker from Hell

Postby Neurotic Moose » Wed May 16, 2018 12:46 pm

uz000 wrote:
Both Aaron's runs on Ghostrider & Wolverine and the X-men are absolutely great. I've never read his solo Wolverine run.

Wolverine and The X-Men is basically an extension of the years long journey he put the character through in his Wolverine run and pays off a number of plot threads, the original run is also batshit fucking insane in the best possible way, I'm talking Dr. Rot an insane pseudo doctor who steals people's brains for a mind control machine, I'm talking Doom The Living Planet and every Wolverine in a mental battle with a group of demons, I'm talking San Francisco China town super martial arts fights like something out of Big Trouble in Little China. The run has it all baby! It's also got one of my all time favorite stories to focus on Logan and Kurt's friendship.

Spacedog

Expert Post Whore

Postby Spacedog » Wed May 16, 2018 1:26 pm

One guy told me that I didn't get the metaphorical themes and staggering dilemmas of Batman v Superman because I'm (in his own words) "lost in Plato's Cave, picking up only shadows of the true reality".

Yeah. I need a master's degree on Philosophical Sciences to understand Zack Snyder's films.

RobThompson

cheese

Postby RobThompson » Wed May 16, 2018 1:28 pm

Spacedog wrote:One guy told me that I didn't get the metaphorical themes and staggering dilemmas of Batman v Superman because I'm (in his own words) "lost in Plato's Cave, picking up only shadows of the true reality".

Yeah. I need a master's degree on Philosophical Sciences to understand Zack Snyder's films.

I enjoyed the film and I would not make that argument.

Spacedog

Expert Post Whore

Postby Spacedog » Wed May 16, 2018 1:33 pm

RobThompson wrote:I enjoyed the film and I would not make that argument.

I think he went a little too far. :roll:

jephd

Swedish Pinata of Death

Postby jephd » Wed May 16, 2018 2:37 pm

jephd wrote:Last I heard was a comment that he'd found something in the story he "had to reconcile" before moving forward in august last year. he also said there were 12, or maybe 8, issues left.

Fabio Moon has just launched a newsletter so maybe theres more news coming?

Not strictly an update but moon base 2 opens thusly

Hello from out here NOT on the Thames Delta, where I feel the winter fast approaching the inside of my studio, and as I sit at my drawing board to pencil and ink more Casanova pages, my eyes wander and catch a glimpse of the fireplace to my left, and I wonder if I should start to pile up some wood for the very cold days of work I'll have ahead of me (I should)

uz000

Great Scott!!!

Postby uz000 » Wed May 16, 2018 2:41 pm

Spacedog wrote:One guy told me that I didn't get the metaphorical themes and staggering dilemmas of Batman v Superman because I'm (in his own words) "lost in Plato's Cave, picking up only shadows of the true reality".

To this day I do not get why Zack Snyder was given so much control over the cinematic DCU.

His Dawn of the Dead was good, 300 was OK, but did really well. There after it was freefall, both Watchmen and Sucker Punch received mediocre critical reviews and made OK money. So sure take a punt on him making a Superman film, but when that film turns out so awkwardly surely that was the time to bring someone else in?

I just don't get it. :smt102

Neurotic Moose

Motherfucker from Hell

Postby Neurotic Moose » Wed May 16, 2018 2:45 pm

Currently sitting on the floor waiting for a weird old man to be done blocking off the used comics section of the local used book store.

uz000

Great Scott!!!

Postby uz000 » Wed May 16, 2018 2:48 pm

I see Solo has received similar reviews to Infinity War. I'm looking forward to it, though need to see Deadpool first. Turning out to be a good summer of movies.

Fysh

cheese

Postby Fysh » Wed May 16, 2018 3:52 pm

uz000 wrote:
To this day I do not get why Zack Snyder was given so much control over the cinematic DCU.

His Dawn of the Dead was good, 300 was OK, but did really well. There after it was freefall, both Watchmen and Sucker Punch received mediocre critical reviews and made OK money. So sure take a punt on him making a Superman film, but when that film turns out so awkwardly surely that was the time to bring someone else in?

I think it's because he has the same taste in visual over storytelling and the same immature ideas about what's "mature" about the 80s comics that triggered the grim 'n' gritty movement as Didio, Johns and Lee...

Spacedog

Expert Post Whore

Postby Spacedog » Wed May 16, 2018 4:21 pm

Fysh wrote:
I think it's because he has the same taste in visual over storytelling and the same immature ideas about what's "mature" about the 80s comics that triggered the grim 'n' gritty movement as Didio, Johns and Lee...

I don't want to sound a snob, but I think the storytelling skills of guys like Snyder and Johns are much more inspired by "fighting game philosophies" than by anything else - books, films or comics.

I'm a huge fan of "primitive" arcade fighting games - but they aren't the best source to take inspiration in terms of character development and story structure.

Spacedog

Expert Post Whore

Postby Spacedog » Wed May 16, 2018 4:32 pm

uz000 wrote:

This one's for the books. Snyder's "DCU project" will be analyzed in film schools as a cautionary tale about the creative and monetary risks involved in the construction of shared cinematic universes.

RobThompson

cheese

Postby RobThompson » Wed May 16, 2018 4:37 pm

Neurotic Moose wrote:Currently sitting on the floor waiting for a weird old man to be done blocking off the used comics section of the local used book store.

That is pathetic.

Spacedog

Expert Post Whore

Postby Spacedog » Wed May 16, 2018 4:52 pm

British spies in World War I used semen as invisible ink. No, I'm not kidding.

*This "technique" was abandoned due to the smell it produced.

leave a comment with facebook