Monday, June 25, 2018 • Afternoon Edition • "*the sound you hear when PAC-MAN dies*"

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

'The Death of Superman' Trailer!!

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Rebirth NoctourneM

Rain Partier

Postby Rebirth NoctourneM » Wed May 16, 2018 11:15 pm

zryson wrote:
Actually yeah it is but I don't expect you to agree. You and I are polar opposites - but then I would be more scared if we actually agreed more often.

No, I mean it's not true. It contained numerous great runs. Mark Waid for example.

zryson

YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby zryson » Wed May 16, 2018 11:19 pm

Rebirth NoctourneM wrote:
No, I mean it's not true. It contained numerous great runs. Mark Waid for example.

I was talking about the 90s comics crash - there was a boom, then a fever with the Death of Superman and well then in the years to come the market crashed. As for the 90s Superman comics - yes, there are some good stories - even some great stories but the 80s were my fave era (well that and the 70s). But as much I hate to say it - yes I agree with you (to a degree).

zryson

YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby zryson » Wed May 16, 2018 11:22 pm

Okay, are you ready? Well OK then - here are new details about when the movie is going to be released.

DEATH OF SUPERMAN Release Date Set, Home Video Details

The feature-length animated film arrives from Warner Bros. Home Entertainment on Digital starting July 24, 2018, and on Ultra HD Blu-ray™ Combo Pack, Blu-ray™ Combo Pack and DVD August 7, 2018.

https://www.newsarama.com/39959-death-o ... tails.html

IvCNuB4

Staff Writer

Postby IvCNuB4 » Thu May 17, 2018 2:55 am

Okay, i need to clarify what I said. There was a decline in sales from approximately 1993 to 1997. The bottom fell out of the market around 1996.

Z-tron claimed that the crash was directly caused by "spectators realized that deaths had happened before and that Superman was coming back, they abandoned the market and it led to a massive crash". That part is incorrect.

There were numerous factors that led to the crash: poor marketing that focused on "today" with no regard for "five years from now", an unprecedented number "direct market" comic book shops and comic dealers popped up everywhere and eventually the direct market absorbed the comic sales from the shops/dealers who went out of business. The shops and dealers went out of business because many of them didn't really know how to run that type of business. Most had poor business plans and didn't account for future funding needs.

zryson

YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby zryson » Thu May 17, 2018 5:07 am

IvCNuB4 wrote:Okay, i need to clarify what I said. There was a decline in sales from approximately 1993 to 1997. The bottom fell out of the market around 1996.

Z-tron claimed that the crash was directly caused by "spectators realized that deaths had happened before and that Superman was coming back, they abandoned the market and it led to a massive crash". That part is incorrect.

There were numerous factors that led to the crash: poor marketing that focused on "today" with no regard for "five years from now", an unprecedented number "direct market" comic book shops and comic dealers popped up everywhere and eventually the direct market absorbed the comic sales from the shops/dealers who went out of business. The shops and dealers went out of business because many of them didn't really know how to run that type of business. Most had poor business plans and didn't account for future funding needs.

The Death of Superman was a pivotal moment in the 90s - it was one of the most important things to happen in the comic industry but also one of the worst because speculators which had been increasingly feeding an insatiable hunger for these collectors issues (which the comic industry was only too happy to cater too) believed at the time they would be really valuable. Then reality hit and suddenly those issues weren't worth the money people thought they would be and in the end it led to a huge comics decline with stores going out of business and many speculators abandoning the market and looking for the next get rich gimmick. But the comic industry hasn't really learned a lot in the meantime - just look at the hysteria and hype when DC launched The New 52. Fans were snapping up multiple copies because DC would never relaunch again would they?

RobThompson

Rorshach Test Subject

Postby RobThompson » Thu May 17, 2018 6:02 am

IvCNuB4 wrote:Okay, i need to clarify what I said. There was a decline in sales from approximately 1993 to 1997. The bottom fell out of the market around 1996.

Yes. While a particular story-line might have caught the headlines for a bit, suggesting that a single story-line was the cause of the crash would be a bit of all-or-nothing kind of reasoning.

Grayson

Outhouse Drafter

Postby Grayson » Sat May 19, 2018 6:08 pm

Since I was so distracted by the voice cast and the questionable decision to put the characters in their New 52 costumes when I watched the trailer initially, I decided to give it another shot and now I have an event bigger problem. Where's the Blue Beetle and Booster Gold? Where's Fire and Ice? Where's Bloodwynd?! :smt102

No, no, this is all wrong. It's all wrong! :smt011

Zechs

Outhouse Editor

Postby Zechs » Sat May 19, 2018 6:30 pm

Grayson wrote:Since I was so distracted by the voice cast and the questionable decision to put the characters in their New 52 costumes when I watched the trailer initially, I decided to give it another shot and now I have an event bigger problem. Where's the Blue Beetle and Booster Gold? Where's Fire and Ice? Where's Bloodwynd?! :smt102

No, no, this is all wrong. It's all wrong! :smt011

Well, Bloodwynd is there in spirit you might say. :wink:

It looks like Hawkman is Ted and Batman is Booster. Fire is Hal and Ice is Aquaman obviously. Maxima is Wondy.

Grayson

Outhouse Drafter

Postby Grayson » Sat May 19, 2018 6:39 pm

Zechs wrote:Well, Bloodwynd is there in spirit you might say. :wink:

It looks like Hawkman is Ted and Batman is Booster. Fire is Hal and Ice is Aquaman obviously. Maxima is Wondy.

RobThompson

Rorshach Test Subject

Postby RobThompson » Sat May 19, 2018 7:39 pm

Zechs wrote:
Well, Bloodwynd is there in spirit you might say. :wink:

Zechs

Outhouse Editor

Postby Zechs » Sat May 19, 2018 8:26 pm

:lol:

Eric Ratcliffe

Staff Writer

Postby Eric Ratcliffe » Sat May 19, 2018 9:32 pm

I mean the only positive is we don't see poor booster and ted beating to a pulp, right? :smt102

Zechs

Outhouse Editor

Postby Zechs » Sat May 19, 2018 9:33 pm

Eric Ratcliffe wrote:I mean the only positive is we don't see poor booster and ted beating to a pulp, right? :smt102

And Guy... and Tora. And Fire.

Grayson

Outhouse Drafter

Postby Grayson » Sun May 20, 2018 8:55 am

Eric Ratcliffe wrote:I mean the only positive is we don't see poor booster and ted beating to a pulp, right? :smt102

I feel like from a storytelling perspective, the Death of Superman worked on multiple fronts precisely because it wasn't the core Justice League. For a lot of people, Death of Superman may have been their first exposure to characters like the Blue Beetle and Booster Gold. Here they are, getting beaten to within an inch of their lives, battling right alongside Superman against a creature that quickly becomes apparent they have no hope of stopping and seeded throughout the story were heroic deeds of these battered and beaten heroes saving people in the midst of their battle. It was essentially everything that we want in our superheroes.

leave a comment with facebook