Tuesday, August 14, 2018 • Morning Edition • "Manufacturing outrage since 2006."

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

What's Going on with the Batgirls in the DCU?

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Spacedog

Expert Post Whore

Postby Spacedog » Thu May 24, 2018 2:35 pm

achilles wrote:
Way I see it is the Rebirth stuff has done well by SOME characters, mostly the ones DC likes a lot, and badly by most of the rest. It would be relatively easy IMO to simply move those characters who have done well in Rebirth in that direction slowly, as they simply reset or in some cases reboot others, resulting in an overall reset with some tweaks.

"an overall reset with some tweaks".

Man... this quote sums up pretty well the clusterfuck the DCU have become in the last 8 years. I also like to call it "WTF?boot".

achilles

Rain Partier

Postby achilles » Thu May 24, 2018 3:05 pm

Spacedog wrote:"an overall reset with some tweaks".

Man... this quote sums up pretty well the clusterfuck the DCU have become in the last 8 years. I also like to call it "WTF?boot".

Ah, perhaps you're right. Maybe they should just reset the whole thing, and then go from there. I would suggest though ditching Johns as Chief Creative Officer first, as it's been his job to....um....PLAN their whole disaster. Thinking about it further, I don't think you can keep what some folks liked about the Rebirth Batman or Superman or whoever while also trying to reset the whole shebang to pre-Flashpoint DCU. Going to have to burn some fans to make it better as a whole, and just bit the bullet for the whole deal.

That said, I think the Snyderverse combined with WB Animation's pretty much terrible efforts does suggest that trying to go with the post Flashpoint stuff is a mistake.

So yes, Spacedog is right.

chap22

Rain Partier

Postby chap22 » Thu May 24, 2018 3:16 pm

Rebirth NoctourneM wrote:
Actually it's been pretty much all of them, although a couple of them didn't need to be fixed.

All I know is, I enjoy reading books about Superman, Flash, Aquaman, Green Lantern, Green Arrow, the Titans, and a few others, when I previously hadn’t in years. If nothing else, Rebirth has made their big guns readable again.

Spacedog

Expert Post Whore

Postby Spacedog » Thu May 24, 2018 3:22 pm

achilles wrote:
Ah, perhaps you're right. Maybe they should just reset the whole thing, and then go from there. I would suggest though ditching Johns as Chief Creative Officer first, as it's been his job to....um....PLAN their whole disaster. Thinking about it further, I don't think you can keep what some folks liked about the Rebirth Batman or Superman or whoever while also trying to reset the whole shebang to pre-Flashpoint DCU. Going to have to burn some fans to make it better as a whole, and just bit the bullet for the whole deal.

That said, I think the Snyderverse combined with WB Animation's pretty much terrible efforts does suggest that trying to go with the post Flashpoint stuff is a mistake.

So yes, Spacedog is right.

Yeah. I am usually wrong about a lot of things, but, in this specific subject, I'm not.

Zechs

Outhouse Editor

Postby Zechs » Fri May 25, 2018 12:28 pm

chap22 wrote:
All I know is, I enjoy reading books about Superman, Flash, Aquaman, Green Lantern, Green Arrow, the Titans, and a few others, when I previously hadn’t in years. If nothing else, Rebirth has made their big guns readable again.

This. I only ever bought a Green Arrow comic once. ONCE and that was for the Shade. Yet Rebirth made me buy freaking an entire run. AN ENTIRE RUN of a series that I enjoyed from beginning to end.

Superman was interesting again. Teen Titans. Flash. Wonder Woman. Deathstroke. Detective Comics. Green Lantern comics. Rebirth was full of gold and good ideas. It was what New 52 should have been. Celebrating why we enjoy freaking DC. Not burying and going back to square one because fuck history.

:smt013

achilles

Rain Partier

Postby achilles » Fri May 25, 2018 12:44 pm

Zechs wrote:
This. I only ever bought a Green Arrow comic once. ONCE and that was for the Shade. Yet Rebirth made me buy freaking an entire run. AN ENTIRE RUN of a series that I enjoyed from beginning to end.

Superman was interesting again. Teen Titans. Flash. Wonder Woman. Deathstroke. Detective Comics. Green Lantern comics. Rebirth was full of gold and good ideas. It was what New 52 should have been. Celebrating why we enjoy freaking DC. Not burying and going back to square one because fuck history.

:smt013

You've never read The Longbow Hunters?

Zechs

Outhouse Editor

Postby Zechs » Fri May 25, 2018 5:42 pm

achilles wrote:
You've never read The Longbow Hunters?

It was because of the Rebirth arc I heard of the Longbow Hunters and read the Shado mini. Then took a look at Lemire's GA run.

chap22

Rain Partier

Postby chap22 » Fri May 25, 2018 6:00 pm

Zechs wrote:
It was because of the Rebirth arc I heard of the Longbow Hunters and read the Shado mini. Then took a look at Lemire's GA run.

Good GA:
Longbow Hunters
Smith's run (fuck y'all, I loves me some Quiver)
Meltzer's arc
Diggle/Jock Year One
Lemire/Sorrentino stuff (even if it is just a remake of Miller's DD)
Rebirth run
Arrow S1, S2, & S5 :-D

That's pretty much it (although I admit I've read basically no Grell stuff other than Longbow)

OneWhoIsAll

Expert Post Whore

Postby OneWhoIsAll » Sat May 26, 2018 12:41 am

I like the Batgirls.

Zechs

Outhouse Editor

Postby Zechs » Sun May 27, 2018 12:27 pm

chap22 wrote:
Good GA:
Longbow Hunters
Smith's run (fuck y'all, I loves me some Quiver)
Meltzer's arc
Diggle/Jock Year One
Lemire/Sorrentino stuff (even if it is just a remake of Miller's DD)
Rebirth run
Arrow S1, S2, & S5 :-D

That's pretty much it (although I admit I've read basically no Grell stuff other than Longbow)

I saw Arrow S2 and S5 because the later had Dolph Lundgren in it. That's just like a beacon to make me watch it.

leave a comment with facebook