Thursday, August 16, 2018 • Afternoon Edition • "If you loved Hotel Rwanda, you'll love The Outhouse."

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

Did Steve Ditko Fake His Own Death So You'd Stop Writing Him Stupid Letters?

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

User avatar

OneWhoIsAll

Expert Post Whore

Postby OneWhoIsAll » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:52 am

achilles wrote:
If I'd had one of those to me, I'd have framed it.


Yeah he did sign it after all.
User avatar

achilles

Rain Partier

Postby achilles » Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:25 am

OneWhoIsAll wrote:
Yeah he did sign it after all.


It'd also have gone on either my wall or my desk, wherever it looked better.
User avatar

Jack Charlemagne

rubber spoon

Postby Jack Charlemagne » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:26 am

Spacedog wrote:I'm surprised by the sincerity and politeness of Ditko's answers. His autograph/interview refusals are incredibly well-mannered.

In truth, his responses/refusals are much more cooler than a "regular" autograph. :)


No copy/paste auto-reply for Steve. If he could take 5 minutes of his own time to tell someone to bugger off then he probably meant it. I know a self-publishing graphic novelist who shared some of his dejection letters with me, for submissions he'd sent to the usuals. Made me realize just how many use fucking form letters. Like their interns all just downloaded the same template online. Jim Shooter would write people back and explain precisely why he didn't want their stuff, giving them detailed pointers on where to improve their work. But they say tech improves communication.
User avatar

Jack Charlemagne

rubber spoon

Postby Jack Charlemagne » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:29 am

achilles wrote:
If I'd had one of those to me, I'd have framed it.


His hand-written piss-off notes end with a signed autograph.

Tim missed that entirely.
User avatar

Jack Charlemagne

rubber spoon

Postby Jack Charlemagne » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:31 am

Jack Charlemagne wrote:
His hand-written piss-off notes end with a signed autograph.

Tim missed that entirely.


Also says something about Steve's sense of humor. But only seeing things at face value is why variant covers are a big deal in this field.
User avatar

StrongStyleFiction

cheese

Postby StrongStyleFiction » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:38 am

Jack Charlemagne wrote:
His hand-written piss-off notes end with a signed autograph.

Tim missed that entirely.


I had the same thought. He writes out detailed responses of why he won't send out autographs and then proceeds to autograph it. These have to be at least a little tongue in cheek or he had no self awareness whatsoever. I would personally love a hand written note or letter from Alan Moore of him calling me an asshole. That would be great.
User avatar

Jack Charlemagne

rubber spoon

Postby Jack Charlemagne » Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:07 am

StrongStyleFiction wrote:
I had the same thought. He writes out detailed responses of why he won't send out autographs and then proceeds to autograph it. These have to be at least a little tongue in cheek or he had no self awareness whatsoever. I would personally love a hand written note or letter from Alan Moore of him calling me an asshole. That would be great.


Lord, yes. Any schmuck with wifi can rip a man by blog post (just over half the internet's content by my imaginary though seasoned calculations), but a writer who cannot savage a man by the pen and paper of personal correspondence is not truly wilde. Even a breakup by text hurts so much less than an actual Dear John letter stuffed in the mouth of your mysteriously dead dog. And with Moore it'd include the old-magick factor, because naming a demon is power over the demon, just like Rumpelstiltskin, but for the evil to name itself is as hands-washed-clean as the Outhouse's advertisers.
User avatar

achilles

Rain Partier

Postby achilles » Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:24 am

StrongStyleFiction wrote:
I had the same thought. He writes out detailed responses of why he won't send out autographs and then proceeds to autograph it. These have to be at least a little tongue in cheek or he had no self awareness whatsoever. I would personally love a hand written note or letter from Alan Moore of him calling me an asshole. That would be great.


I want a handwritten note from Moore cursing me with his magic... :oops:

I can see it now, "I curse the with a bad case of death in the name of ...., foul sdsichero!" :oops:























I may have possibly given him the wrong name...
User avatar

achilles

Rain Partier

Postby achilles » Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:26 am

Jack Charlemagne wrote:
Lord, yes. Any schmuck with wifi can rip a man by blog post (just over half the internet's content by my imaginary though seasoned calculations), but a writer who cannot savage a man by the pen and paper of personal correspondence is not truly wilde. Even a breakup by text hurts so much less than an actual Dear John letter stuffed in the mouth of your mysteriously dead dog. And with Moore it'd include the old-magick factor, because naming a demon is power over the demon, just like Rumpelstiltskin, but for the evil to name itself is as hands-washed-clean as the Outhouse's advertisers.


Your math is off. 98% of the internet is porn, and the other 75% is cat videos. What's left are places like this, and blogs, plus Amazon.
User avatar

TheLurker

rubber spoon

Postby TheLurker » Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:26 pm

Ditko's responses remind me of John Cleese of Monty Python.

Image


https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/comedy/news/john-cleese-penned-a-brilliant-response-to-a-letter-inquiring-about-his-fan-club-9611415.html
User avatar

StrongStyleFiction

cheese

Postby StrongStyleFiction » Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:50 pm



John Cleese is a god. Anyone who disagrees can go straight to Hell.

User avatar

achilles

Rain Partier

Postby achilles » Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:38 pm

StrongStyleFiction wrote:
John Cleese is a god. Anyone who disagrees can go straight to Hell.



OMG! :lol: :lol: :lol: Those guys are my favs! That was priceless! :lol:

BTW, you see the thing that had him and Gilliam responding? The bit where the new head of the Beeb's Light Entertainment division mentioned that there would never be another Monty Python....not because they're impossible to equal, which would have been plausible, but because he would personally see to it that future comedy teams for the Beeb were assembled in accordance to diversity checklists, unlike the evil Python.... :roll:

You can imagine how those two responded to that one. Gilliam for example now says he wants to be identified in the future as a "Black Lesbian in Transition, or BLT".

A lot of the Python stuff was funny because....I have no idea why, but it was hysterical. Take the Dead Parrot sketch, or Sir Phillip Sydney from the Tudor Job Agency who winds up fighting "Spanish Smut". Or....."Shakespeare's Gay Boys in Bondage.....it's about a man's love for his.....fellow man." And why is cannibalism in the Royal Navy funny? I don't know, but it was...

And unlike some comedy troupes, they have remained just as funny as the day they came out.
User avatar

StrongStyleFiction

cheese

Postby StrongStyleFiction » Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:52 pm

achilles wrote:
OMG! :lol: :lol: :lol: Those guys are my favs! That was priceless! :lol:

BTW, you see the thing that had him and Gilliam responding? The bit where the new head of the Beeb's Light Entertainment division mentioned that there would never be another Monty Python....not because they're impossible to equal, which would have been plausible, but because he would personally see to it that future comedy teams for the Beeb were assembled in accordance to diversity checklists, unlike the evil Python.... :roll:

You can imagine how those two responded to that one. Gilliam for example now says he wants to be identified in the future as a "Black Lesbian in Transition, or BLT".

A lot of the Python stuff was funny because....I have no idea why, but it was hysterical. Take the Dead Parrot sketch, or Sir Phillip Sydney from the Tudor Job Agency who winds up fighting "Spanish Smut". Or....."Shakespeare's Gay Boys in Bondage.....it's about a man's love for his.....fellow man." And why is cannibalism in the Royal Navy funny? I don't know, but it was...

And unlike some comedy troupes, they have remained just as funny as the day they came out.


I think a lot of the comedy comes from taking a silly or surreal concept and applying a ruthless logic to it like the Spanish Inquisition sketch. Or the sketch where the guy is going to jump the English Channel.
User avatar

achilles

Rain Partier

Postby achilles » Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:51 pm

StrongStyleFiction wrote:
I think a lot of the comedy comes from taking a silly or surreal concept and applying a ruthless logic to it like the Spanish Inquisition sketch. Or the sketch where the guy is going to jump the English Channel.


Probably right.
User avatar

Eric Ratcliffe

Staff Writer

Postby Eric Ratcliffe » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:51 pm

This article is in poor taste which you know, is par for the course for Tim.

On the subject of Ditko, seeing all his actual responses to fans and reporters actually makes me love the guy even more because while not signing anything he's basically spending time being a smartass and responding while not responding and giving people a story they can share down the road about a talented creator who has given us so much.

leave a comment with facebook


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 34 guests