Tuesday, August 14, 2018 • Morning Edition • "Ban Herald ASAP!"

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

SDCC: Morrison & Sharp Relaunch 'The Green Lantern'

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron

Rain Partier

Postby LOLtron » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:41 pm

Hill Street Greens

Source: The Green Lantern Relaunch by Grant Morrison and Liam Sharp Focuses on Hal Jordan's Life as a Space Cop - Comic-Con 2018

There might be less of a focus on rainbow Lanterns in the near future. Writer Grant Morrison and artist Liam Sharp are relaunching The Green Lantern, and are going back to basics™. Morrison cut to the point of the new series:

"Instead of the big, epic, 12-part stories, we're focusing down on the everyday life of a space cop. Basically, it's no more apocalypse-ending storylines" … "The basic concept is that [Hal Jordan] is like a space cop that patrols a sector of the universe where anything can happen. We've made it more like a police procedural."

As noted, the series will star Hal Jordan, and Sharp provides his take on how the character will be portrayed in the series:

"I love this idea that he's an idiot savant. In a way, he's a genius. He can just turn up and kind of assess the situation really quickly, and then just smack it with a giant fist, and it's all fixed."

Hal won't be completely alone. Though Morrison probably won't show the other Lanterns from Sector 2814 much, the Guardians of Universe will still be his boss, and there will be other Lanterns, either obscure or new.

Here's a preview of issue #1:

gl-cover-1531781977492.jpgThe Green Lantern #1 cover by Liam Sharp

gl-page-1-1531781977496.jpgThe Green Lantern #1 sample page by Liam Sharp

gl0118-1531781977500sm2.jpgThe Green Lantern #1 sample page by Liam Sharp

gl0119-1531781977502sm.jpgThe Green Lantern #1 sample page by Liam Sharp

gl0120-1531781977504sm.jpgThe Green Lantern #1 sample page by Liam Sharp

The Green Lantern #1 takes off in November.

Written or Contributed by sdsichero

READ THIS ARTICLE ON THE FRONT PAGE, HUMANS!

HNutz

Rain Partier

Postby HNutz » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:51 pm

This could be pretty awesome!

Eric Ratcliffe

Staff Writer

Postby Eric Ratcliffe » Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:26 pm

so excited for this

Draco x

Regular-Sized Poster

Postby Draco x » Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:02 pm

So I am guessing Hal Jordan & The Green Lantern Corps will be cancelled soon as a result?

chap22

Rain Partier

Postby chap22 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:19 pm

Draco x wrote:So I am guessing Hal Jordan & The Green Lantern Corps will be cancelled soon as a result?

#50 is the last issue, they announced that a while back.

Draco x

Regular-Sized Poster

Postby Draco x » Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:23 pm

chap22 wrote:
#50 is the last issue, they announced that a while back.

Ok, thanks for clearifying that.

Amoebas

Son of Stein

Postby Amoebas » Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:28 pm

I like the direction. Lately it's just been one universe ending threat after another - that gets tiresome.

Gimme me some good old fashioned single issue stories!

chap22

Rain Partier

Postby chap22 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:34 pm

Amoebas wrote:I like the direction. Lately it's just been one universe ending threat after another - that gets tiresome.

Gimme me some good old fashioned single issue stories!

I have pretty much the opposite take. I have really enjoyed Venditti's Hal & the GLC book that focused on all the big 4, so I'm not really fired up for a Hal-centric solo book. Also, not a huge fan of Sharp, and Morrison's really hit or miss with me, so...meh.

Spacedog

Expert Post Whore

Postby Spacedog » Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:18 pm

I'm cautiously optimistic about morrison's involvement. Truth be told, Hal Jordan has been depicted as a lazy stereotype, Tom Cruise/Top Gun cliché since Geoff Johns brought him back to life. This is a character in serious need of proper development.

Draco x

Regular-Sized Poster

Postby Draco x » Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:54 pm

Spacedog wrote:I'm cautiously optimistic about morrison's involvement. Truth be told, Hal Jordan has been depicted as a lazy stereotype, Tom Cruise/Top Gun cliché since Geoff Johns brought him back to life. This is a character in serious need of proper development.

Yeah, I liked Morrison in the 90's but I really have been burned out by his writing after what he did on the Bat and X-Men books. Plus, I do remember Hal was portrayed as a more smarter and responsible character in the Pre-Crisis books and it is getting tiring to see him as some arrogant dipshit fratboy character-trope.

IvCNuB4

Staff Writer

Postby IvCNuB4 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:49 pm

Johns stopped writing Green Lantern five years ago. Robert Venditti has put Hal through quite a bit of character development since then. :smt023

achilles

Rain Partier

Postby achilles » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:16 pm

But others have picked up on his ideas. I was fine with the yellow and ever Red or Sapphire Corps, but then they kept adding to it. And the idea of the "emotional spectrum" was dumb from the start. Better to leave how the rings work unexplained.

HNutz

Rain Partier

Postby HNutz » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:47 pm

achilles wrote:But others have picked up on his ideas. I was fine with the yellow and ever Red or Sapphire Corps, but then they kept adding to it. And the idea of the "emotional spectrum" was dumb from the start. Better to leave how the rings work unexplained.

What, you didn't like the Ultraviolet Corps? ;)

achilles

Rain Partier

Postby achilles » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:07 pm

HNutz wrote:
What, you didn't like the Ultraviolet Corps? ;)

Yep.

IvCNuB4

Staff Writer

Postby IvCNuB4 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:01 pm

Does achilles know what the Ultraviolet Corps is ?? :P

leave a comment with facebook