Monday, October 15, 2018 • Afternoon Edition • "Shit happens here."

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

SDCC: Answers At Last Abound in 'Three Jokers' Mini!

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron

Rain Partier

Postby LOLtron » Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:03 am

So we shall FINALLY to that lingering question at the start of Rebirth in a Black Label three-part series. ...... This is so getting delayed, won't it?

So of the many plots kicked off by DC Rebirth, all of them are kind of getting followed up on (Doomsday Clock for Dr. Manhatten, "Flash War" with Wally West, and Dr. Mr. Oz in Action Comics/Superman). Save one little tiny plot in we learned that there were three Jokers running around the DCU (Golden Age, Silver Age, and modern) with no answers in sight other than at a C2E2 panel it would be answered in a series by Geoff Johns (who began this little subplot right when he ended his run on Justice League) and Jason Fabok

Well, we now know where and when it'll be answered in a new forty plus page prestige format issues Black-Label (wait wasn't this format for non-cannon standalone stories? But, these stories will be in continuity. Then what's the goddamn point of this label if we're doing this?! I've got a bad feeling about this) three-issue mini called Three Jokers

This was all announced yesterday at his spotlight panel at SDCC. Not only will readers get answers, but it'll change the relationship of Batman and the Joker FOREVER!!! Also, it'll star Batman, Jason Todd, and Barbara Gordon. Oh dear... this is gonna be a dark journey won't it? Of course, we don't know when this comic is coming, but it is. .... This is so coming sometime the middle of next year won't it probably right after Doomsday Clock? Ugh... 

Here's the teaser picture:

threejokers

Written or Contributed by Zechs

READ THIS ARTICLE ON THE FRONT PAGE, HUMANS!

Johnny Smith

biny little tird

Postby Johnny Smith » Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:56 am

I’m in!

Looking forward to the answers :-D

Amoebas

Son of Stein

Postby Amoebas » Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:02 am

LOLtron wrote:Well, we now know where and when it'll be answered in a new forty plus page prestige format issues Black-Label (wait wasn't this format for non-cannon standalone stories? But, these stories will be in continuity. Then what's the goddamn point of this label if we're doing this?! I've got a bad feeling about this)

No need to feel bad. During the Black Label announcement, Jim Lee did state the books will...
often out-of-continuity projects.

Not "always".

I'm surprised they've limited it to just 3. I'd love the see the 'mischief' Joker from the 50's and the 'just a criminal' Cesar Romero version from the 60's too.

chap22

Rain Partier

Postby chap22 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:22 am

I literally, LITERALLY could not be LESS interested in this bag o'shit. Over the last at least 2+ decades I have grown to truly hate the Joker and dread his every appearance, and this whole 3 Jokers idea is just abysmally stupid.

Amoebas wrote:I'm surprised they've limited it to just 3. I'd love the see the 'mischief' Joker from the 50's and the 'just a criminal' Cesar Romero version from the 60's too.

As these are the only versions of the Joker I actually like, if either or both of them were part of the 3 Jokers conceit (y'know, to actually play up/explain the different versions of the character over they ears instead of taking 3 just barely distinguishable versions of "total raving lunatic mass-murdering psychopath who really deep down just wants to fuck Batman" that it appears they're giving us), I might feel differently. But since apparently Johns only gets his jollies from imagining/writing about the Harlequin of Hate rather than the Clown Prince of Crime, this gets a big fat NOPE from me. Take it away, Tracy...

Spacedog

Expert Post Whore

Postby Spacedog » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:45 am

Regardless of my opinions about Johns' writing skills, the idea of three Jokers seems incredibly stupid. Morrison's "super sanity" theory still is the most interesting explanation for the Joker's transformations over the years.

I'd like to see a renovation, new ideas changing DC's corporate culture. But seems like it won't happen anytime soon.

SporkBot

Swedish Pinata of Death

Postby SporkBot » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:31 am

I kind of liked the explanation that, every so often, Joker changes his personality/tactics. It meant that he could be the gangster, the prankster, one of them or both, and even my least favorite, Scott Snyder's interpretation. But this "3 Jokers" thing never caught my interest, and sounded like an 8-year-old's random idea that popped up while coloring. So I can't say that whenever this story is released, I'll want to shell out the cash for it.

My preference would be for a Joker that makes me read the dialogue in Mark Hamill's voice. But heck, at this point I wouldn't mind Kevin Michael Richardson's take in "The Batman."

karmakaze

Mad Hatter

Postby karmakaze » Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:30 pm

So that looks like a Killing Joke Joker, a Death in the family Joker, and a third from somewhere else who still pretty much looks like the other two. Why on earth would Killing Joke Joker and Death in the Family Joker not be the same person? Same era, same MO, same look. Morrison's run alone had three Joker designs and MO's that were more different from each other. I don't get it. Why have three jokers if they're all the same anyway?

Maybe this is just promo stuff and it'll change later.

chap22

Rain Partier

Postby chap22 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:53 pm

karmakaze wrote:So that looks like a Killing Joke Joker, a Death in the family Joker, and a third from somewhere else who still pretty much looks like the other two. Why on earth would Killing Joke Joker and Death in the Family Joker not be the same person? Same era, same MO, same look. Morrison's run alone had three Joker designs and MO's that were more different from each other. I don't get it. Why have three jokers if they're all the same anyway?

Let's be honest, there's not that deep a rhyme or reason to it. DC thought it would be a cool story to explain the all-over-the-board nature of the Joker's behavior/personalities over the years (which I guess maybe it could've been IF handled deftly by a writer with some skill...but probably not -- instead of trying to do it that way they instead chose the dumbest, cheapest, laziest, most obvious possible explanation of "oh look, it was really different people all along who were so convincingly alike that the World's Greatest Detective never once caught on"), but then they gave it to Johns whose first, last and every thought in the middle is "let me go as extreme and gruesome as I can b/c that's the kind of KEWL stuff the kids love", and therefore instead of picking 3 versions of the Joker that actually are widely different, he picked 3 versions that are for all intents and purposes the same except for which Bat-team member they sadistically mutilated with absolutely no showmanship or flair for the theatrical that made the Joker what he was for 30-40 something years before 80s grimdark came around and the character was forever changed.

tl;dr this whole thing is stupid from concept to execution and it's gonna be a total shitshow

Clockwork_Fish

cheese

Postby Clockwork_Fish » Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:26 pm

If the Jokers end up fighting it out and Killing Joke is the only one left alive at the end, I really wouldn't mind.

John Strange

Snake On A Plane

Postby John Strange » Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:29 pm

In other news not happy with just writing a Watchmen sequel and calling his now defunct comic line "The Killing Zone" Geoff Johns uses a Killing Joke image to promote The Three Jokers.
Alan moore said that he's going to buy a shotgun and stay all night in his yard so those damn raccoons stop stealing his trash in the dead of night.

SporkBot

Swedish Pinata of Death

Postby SporkBot » Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:46 pm

Clockwork_Fish wrote:If the Jokers end up fighting it out and Killing Joke is the only one left alive at the end, I really wouldn't mind.

Or better yet, the machine that told Bats there were three Jokers arrives in front of him in the Batcave, and on the last page, it says, "Psych!"

chap22

Rain Partier

Postby chap22 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:52 pm

Clockwork_Fish wrote:If the Jokers end up fighting it out and Killing Joke is the only one left alive at the end, I really wouldn't mind.

Fuck no. What needs to happen is that they all fight it out and kill each other, leaving room for the one, TRUE Joker to step out of the shadows and carry on:

Clockwork_Fish

cheese

Postby Clockwork_Fish » Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:11 pm

chap22 wrote:
Fuck no. What needs to happen is that they all fight it out and kill each other, leaving room for the one, TRUE Joker to step out of the shadows and carry on:

God I miss him. He used to rob banks. Remember when Bat villains robbed banks? Instead of just automatically trying to sterilize Gotham of all life?

chap22

Rain Partier

Postby chap22 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:23 pm

Clockwork_Fish wrote:
God I miss him. He used to rob banks. Remember when Bat villains robbed banks? Instead of just automatically trying to sterilize Gotham of all life?

Or if he just had to kill somebody, he did it with things like laughing fish or joy buzzers instead of crowbars or just normal old guns? Man, those were the days.

SporkBot

Swedish Pinata of Death

Postby SporkBot » Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:43 pm

Or how not EVERY SINGLE villain attack was some writer's philosophy midterm intended to "shake the foundations" of Batman's life or mission or meaning or morning coffee?

leave a comment with facebook