Wednesday, December 12, 2018 • Morning Edition • "Your boob-window into the world of comics."

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

SDCC: Look At the 'Supergirl' Season 4 Trailer

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron

Rain Partier

Postby LOLtron » Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:30 pm

Meet Agent Liberty

Source: The CW Television Network YouTube page

This year's San Diego Comic-Con (SDCC) is heavy on the trailers, so let's add one more. The CW debuted their Supergirl Comic-Con branded trailer today teasing what is coming for season 4. Some of footage is from previous seasons, but are introduced to what seems to be a major character for season 4: Darth Maul  Agent Liberty (Sam Witwer). And what's up with that fancy Super-suit?

Have a look for yourself:

Supergirl season 4 starts on The CW October 14.

Written or Contributed by sdsichero

READ THIS ARTICLE ON THE FRONT PAGE, HUMANS!

StrongStyleFiction

cheese

Postby StrongStyleFiction » Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:47 pm

I'm sure they will tackle the politically charged debate over immigration, culture and nationalism with all the subtlety, nuance and dignity that Supergirl is known for and will not turn into a Woker-Than-Thou shitshow. I'm about 3% sure of this because I'm feeling optimistic today.

chap22

Rain Partier

Postby chap22 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:49 pm

THEY TOOK AWR JAWBS!!!!! THEM DAMN IMMAGRUNTS IZ BAD!!!

Shut up, Supergirl writers. Just shut up.

HNutz

Rain Partier

Postby HNutz » Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:51 pm

StrongStyleFiction wrote:I'm sure they will tackle the politically charged debate over immigration, culture and nationalism with all the subtlety, nuance and dignity that Supergirl is known for and will not turn into a Woker-Than-Thou shitshow. I'm about 3% sure of this because I'm feeling optimistic today.

That IS pretty optimistic of you!

StrongStyleFiction

cheese

Postby StrongStyleFiction » Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:57 pm

chap22 wrote:THEY TOOK AWR JAWBS!!!!! THEM DAMN IMMAGRUNTS IZ BAD!!!

Shut up, Supergirl writers. Just shut up.

Yeah, you can see exactly where this is heading. Cancellation.

Here's the thing. You can't equate aliens with superpowers with immigrants or refugees. The main character of the show shoots lasers out of her fucking eyes. I seriously doubt I'll come across a Chinese immigrant who can shoot lasers out of their eyes. At most, they will be able to slide down stairs while shooting a guy with a gun in each hand. Aliens with superpowers are pretty damn scary and dangerous. Okay, I'll be fair. It's not like Supergirl's Earth was just attacked by evil Kryptonians or something.

HNutz

Rain Partier

Postby HNutz » Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:15 pm

StrongStyleFiction wrote:
Yeah, you can see exactly where this is heading. Cancellation.

The CW is doubling down and putting this on Sunday nights.

Even if it's bad, it'll still have its supporters.

Unfortunately.

Here's the thing. You can't equate aliens with superpowers with immigrants or refugees. The main character of the show shoots lasers out of her fucking eyes. I seriously doubt I'll come across a Chinese immigrant who can shoot lasers out of their eyes. At most, they will be able to slide down stairs while shooting a guy with a gun in each hand.

Aliens with superpowers are pretty damn scary and dangerous. Okay, I'll be fair. It's not like Supergirl's Earth was just attacked by evil Kryptonians or something.

Let me see if I remember correctly.

Season 1 ended with a Kryptonian invasion. Oh, and Supergirl went bad temporarily.
Season 2 started with Superman going bad temporarily and ended with a Daxamite invasion being repelled by dispersing lead into the atmosphere.
And we learned that the president is secretly a shapeshifting alien refugee who, presumably, is not following the requirements of being President as set forth in the Constitution.
Season 3 had a Kryptonian "Worldkiller" sleeper agent occasionally joined by other Kryptonian sleeper agents.

At one point, Winn's alien girlfriend was connected to a string of robberies.

Maybe... maybe this guy's got a point, talking about all the damage the aliens are doing.

Draco x

Not a Kardashian

Postby Draco x » Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:26 pm

I read the premise for what they are doing with Agent Liberty and I am wondering why they think turning an anti-hero in the comics into another fearmongering bigot is original. Didn't they do this exact thing with Hank Henshaw, Lililan Luthor and CADMUS in Season 2 if I am not mistaken? Hopefully the bring back Adrian Pasdar as Morgan Edge as this sounds more interesting than Agent Liberty.

StrongStyleFiction

cheese

Postby StrongStyleFiction » Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:36 pm

One other point. Countries allow refugees and immigrants into the country. They are within their right to turn them away. Now you can argue about rather immigration is good or bad, or if there should be a limit and if so, what that limit is. Fine. But countries do have the right to refuse immigrants and refugees. But the key is that the immigrants and refugees are ALLOWED into the country. As far as I remember, the aliens all just started showing up on Earth, bringing their weapons, superpowers and WARS to our planet. Do we not, as a species, have the right to tell them to fuck off and fuck up someone else's planet? Jesus Christ, they got me. CW has got me. I'm going to watch this season of Supergirl but I'm just going to pretend that Agent Liberty is the good guy and that Supergirl and her DEO are a fascist regime of extraterrestrial invaders that he is trying to liberate us from.

The president of the United States is an alien right? Which means she is running the country illegally. There is a secret government agency run by aliens with an unstoppable alien doing their bidding. This isn't woke social justice, this is occupation. Holy shit, not only have these writers dug themselves into a serious hole but they don't even realize they are digging a hole. The more you look at it, the more fucked up it is. I might have to watch season three and do a serious long form analysis of this shit. If I decide to dive into it, I'll start a thread and write it there.

achilles

Rain Partier

Postby achilles » Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:51 pm

Draco x wrote:I read the premise for what they are doing with Agent Liberty and I am wondering why they think turning an anti-hero in the comics into another fearmongering bigot is original. Didn't they do this exact thing with Hank Henshaw, Lililan Luthor and CADMUS in Season 2 if I am not mistaken? Hopefully the bring back Adrian Pasdar as Morgan Edge as this sounds more interesting than Agent Liberty.

Yeah, Jurgens, who created the character, threw some serious shade on that and the writers. So Dream Girl is ....not a girl. How very woke of them. Jeeze, does this show exist to show how woke the writers, producers, and actors are? I'd rather a show that tried to be a good to great version of whatever genre it represented. For me the gold standard was the original 1990 Flash show with Shipp as Barry. Not too soapish, no wokeness, just a fine superhero show given the limitations of the technology at the time.

As for this, I'm considering dropping it. Benoist's character has morphed from the sweet, eager, and somewhat innocent person she was in the first season, to a character I find quite hard to like. She and the rest of the supporting cast get me rooting for the bad guys.

And yeah, the whole show seems to be trying to make the point that Lex Luthor and his mom were right.

IvCNuB4

Staff Writer

Postby IvCNuB4 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:57 pm

Draco x wrote:I read the premise for what they are doing with Agent Liberty and I am wondering why they think turning an anti-hero in the comics into another fearmongering bigot is original. Didn't they do this exact thing with Hank Henshaw, Lililan Luthor and CADMUS in Season 2 if I am not mistaken? Hopefully the bring back Adrian Pasdar as Morgan Edge as this sounds more interesting than Agent Liberty.

I'll take a shirtless Sam Witwer over a shirtless Pasdar any day.

IvCNuB4

Staff Writer

Postby IvCNuB4 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:01 pm

Why not a dreamy Naltorian male, or one who changes sex randomly?

Bianco

rubber spoon

Postby Bianco » Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:11 am

StrongStyleFiction wrote:I'm sure they will tackle the politically charged debate over immigration, culture and nationalism with all the subtlety, nuance and dignity that Supergirl is known for and will not turn into a Woker-Than-Thou shitshow. I'm about 3% sure of this because I'm feeling optimistic today.

You are being very generous indeed

I'm guessing the second half of the season thats when these shows seem to fall apart

achilles

Rain Partier

Postby achilles » Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:03 am

IvCNuB4 wrote:
I'll take a shirtless Sam Witwer over a shirtless Pasdar any day.

I'll take a shirtless Benoist over a shirtless Witwer any day.

achilles

Rain Partier

Postby achilles » Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:11 am

IvCNuB4 wrote:Why not a dreamy Naltorian male, or one who changes sex randomly?

I don't know anything about those, but if it's a character where it's established that they can do that, (Durlans, Martians), sure, that's a fine part of the story. But out of the blue changing characters in any major way like that outside of an Elseworlds type story I don't like, (for example Injustice works only because it's a sort of Elseworlds, in the main DCU it would do irreparable harm).

And Alan Scott and Jay Garrick in Earth 2 nu52 were deaged and in the case of Scott made gay, thus eliminating Jade and Obsidian.

Alternatively, a new character introduced as transgender or gay or lesbian....just fine. Or even one where they have been major hints. For example I've got no problem with either Diana or Harley, (though I hate her for her overexposure), fit naturally as at least bi. Just don't spring it out of the blue with no build up.

HNutz

Rain Partier

Postby HNutz » Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:06 am

StrongStyleFiction wrote:One other point. Countries allow refugees and immigrants into the country. They are within their right to turn them away. Now you can argue about rather immigration is good or bad, or if there should be a limit and if so, what that limit is. Fine. But countries do have the right to refuse immigrants and refugees. But the key is that the immigrants and refugees are ALLOWED into the country.

As far as I remember, the aliens all just started showing up on Earth, bringing their weapons, superpowers and WARS to our planet. Do we not, as a species, have the right to tell them to fuck off and fuck up someone else's planet? Jesus Christ, they got me. CW has got me. I'm going to watch this season of Supergirl but I'm just going to pretend that Agent Liberty is the good guy and that Supergirl and her DEO are a fascist regime of extraterrestrial invaders that he is trying to liberate us from.

The president of the United States is an alien right? Which means she is running the country illegally. There is a secret government agency run by aliens with an unstoppable alien doing their bidding.

This isn't woke social justice, this is occupation. Holy shit, not only have these writers dug themselves into a serious hole but they don't even realize they are digging a hole. The more you look at it, the more fucked up it is. I might have to watch season three and do a serious long form analysis of this shit. If I decide to dive into it, I'll start a thread and write it there.

I've had a theory that the Supergirl movies are a reflection of sorts of the Superman movies.

HNutz wrote:I feel like the Supergirl TV show is like a mirror of sorts to the Superman movies.

The first season was their version of the Donner movies.
Now, we're up to Man of Steel.

HNutz wrote:
No, Season 1 would represent Superman 1 and 2 (the Donner movies)
Season 2 would represent Superman 3 and 4 (the Lester movies)
And maybe Season 3 represents Man of Steel?

(Yeah, it's not 100% perfect. Not sure where Superman Returns falls on here, for example).

Or maybe Season 1 represents Superman 1 and 2.
Season 2 represents Superman 3.
And Season 3 represents Superman 4?

I dunno.

If that's the case, Supergirl Season 4 may be their version of Man of Steel?

Oh, Crap.

leave a comment with facebook