Thursday, December 13, 2018 • Afternoon Edition • "At least we're not Bleeding Cool!"

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

SDCC: More Toho Monsters for 'Godzilla: King of the Monsters'?!

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron

Rain Partier

Postby LOLtron » Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:47 pm

Director Mike Dougherty teased that Godzilla, Rodan, Mothra, and King Ghidorah might not be the only Toho monsters that'll be showing up in the 2014 sequel due out next year.

At the SDCC panel for Godzilla: King of the Monsters one of the most interesting bits that came out of it (besides the glorious trailer that I've watched more than twenty times now) is this little bit from director Mike Dougherty:

There might be a few more surprises.

Actor Thomas Middleditch immediately chimed in saying,  "Yeah we got Dracula, the Mummy..." poking fun at the dead "Dark Universe" over at Universal

So already shown in the trailer, Godzilla, Mothra, Rodan, and King Ghidorah aren't the only giant monsters (or Titans as they're referred to in the movie) from the Toho movies being used. So who else will show up? Fan theories were abound earlier this week given the viral marketing point to Gigan. But Gigan is kind of complicated being a giant freaking cyborg monster.

My own theory? Well, the Oxygen Destroyer was teased during production. And if that means micro-oxygen is being used in this film. Then, that could mean only one thing given what micro-oxygen usually leads too:

DESTROYAH!! But that kaiju seems like a final boss sort of-- wait. What if this movie teases that and Destroyah is the final boss in next year's Kong vs. Godzilla that forces Kong and Godzilla to put aside their eternal rivalry to fight an even greater foe? NAH!! It'll probably be Godzilla smacking Kong around for two hours. 

Probably means a lesser Toho kaiju might appear though. Angurius pops to mind and maybe Varan, a beloved cult kaiju in the Toho catalog that they have. There is A LOT of Toho monsters to choose from. Heck, maybe Middleditch wasn't kidding and there's a Frankenstein cameo (Frankenstein's Monster did show up in a Toho kaiju movie 1965's Frankenstein Conquers the World)? Who do you think Dougherty is alluding too? 

Whatever the case, here's the poster they were giving out for the movie at the panel (via Dougherty's Twitter):

godposter

Godzilla: King of the Monsters will begin it's glorious reign May 31st. Now if you excuse me, I have to watch this trailer a few more times. When I say a few more times. I mean fifty more times on various screens. 

Written or Contributed by Zechs

READ THIS ARTICLE ON THE FRONT PAGE, HUMANS!

Belle-Tain Summer

Garbage Collector

Postby Belle-Tain Summer » Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:18 pm

Well my money is still on it being Ebirah.

Grayson

Outhouse Drafter

Postby Grayson » Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:21 pm

Jet. Jaguar.

8)

Belle-Tain Summer

Garbage Collector

Postby Belle-Tain Summer » Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:54 pm

Go. Go. Jet Jaguar!!!

Zechs

Outhouse Editor

Postby Zechs » Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:12 pm

Alright, so over at Monarch's website, there's a listing of all the registered monsters (or Titans). We know China, Mexico, and Antarctica are confirmed to be containing Mothra, Rodan, and King Ghidorah. Now taking into the previous two films in the Monsterverse: North America, Japan, and the South Pacific are Godzilla, the Mutos, and Kong. That leaves SIXTEEN entries that are unaccounted for. :shock:

Also revealed at the panel, but only reported on today? There WILL be Akira Ifukube music used in this movie at select points.

leave a comment with facebook