Wednesday, December 19, 2018 • Morning Edition • "Manufacturing outrage since 2006."

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

Artist Woes

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Scintillant-H

#1,984 on Deathstroke's Hit List

Postby Scintillant-H » Fri May 01, 2015 10:43 am

Oh this one... this one really hurt me.

I'm mostly afraid to draw for others artists for fear that they'll think I'm trying to one-up them. Some of the more jealous artists who aren't very good get this way, you make them a gift and rather than think "oh! someone put time and effort into me!" they think "that concieted asshole, they're trying to show off!" When it comes to people I know well enough to know they're not like that, and they're artists, I don't mind drawing for them spontaneously, but when it's someone I don't know, I hesitate.

What if my gift will only be seen as something horrible, even though I was just being nice? Hell, on tumblr a couple weeks ago I saw someone who seemed to be a big target for bullies so I warned them and they took my "advice" as me having a superiority complex. :lol: Those people are small minded, I know, but it still makes me think about maybe holding off on drawing for them if I'm not sure they'll turn out that way. All that time and effort wasted on some dumbass when I could be doing something more of value.

(long) Story Time!;

[Reveal] Spoiler: Click to Expand
Back in high school I had an artist friend named Ashley who had never been "bested" by anyone before (I think I mentioned her in another thread here about bullying). She was used to being the best artist in her classes. She went to a different grade/middle school than me, so she never had to face anyone better.

All I wanted was to be friends. I was thrilled to have an artist friend. I grew up like her, the best in all my classes, and though the attention, as little as I got since I never was a show off, was nice, it was also just one more thing that proved to me that I was never going to be part of other people's cirlces. Lonliness sucked.

I did have another artist friend once in middle school, but she lived far away and we lost touch with one another. I can't tell you how happy I was to meet Ashley. I had no idea she was jealous of me with her "frienemy" act to my face. She couldn't hate on me up front without looking like the bad guy, so she had to humor it until I walked away from her---then that was her story; "Hailey's such a stuck-up artist, thinking she's better than me, that she won't even be my friend anymore."

She showed me a character she designed once, and she said she wished it could look as good as my art looked. I went home that day and drew her character looking as good as I could. It was flawed, because I wasn't as good then as I am now, but my work was way better than hers (though back then I didn't think so--since she was such a cunt, and still is, I can admit it now) and I was excited. I never know what to get people and, being poor, I couldn't really afford buying things anyway, and this once I thought I knew. This would be a gift she would like. The friend I had been waiting for, another artist friend who I didn't have to feel isolated from just because I could draw.

It was one of the ocassions where she was almost as nasty to my face as she was behind my back. She practically spit on me whe I gave her the picture. I thought she was just having a bad day or something, but later on I found out she thought it was an attempt to call her work shit. Just by drawing better than her.

But that was Ashley, so yeah, in retrospect, no shocker. At the time, I was really hurt, though, and it did effect me long-term. This this little artist woe story. :lol:

Chessack

Great Scott!!!

Postby Chessack » Fri May 01, 2015 7:20 pm

Well, I have never been able to draw well, so I have never been upset when a friend of mine draws something better than I can. In fact back in the day, when we all played Champions, we used to ask this one guy, Larry, to draw our characters for us so they would look good. One of the GMs just handed Larry a stack of character sheets with one-line descriptions on them and Larry came up with some of the most awesome designs. I remember one time Larry misinterpreted what the GM had said, and drew something totally "wrong" in terms of character concept. The GM liked the picture so much, he totally re-wrote the character.

So to me, it seems odd that someone would dislike a better artist drawing them something. We all were trying to draw back then, with varying degrees of success, but Larry was the acknowledged master of our group.

Then of course, there was Dorian Vallejo, son of non other than Boris Vallejo, who went to my H.S. and as you would imagine was by far the best artist of all.

Scintillant-H

Postby Scintillant-H » Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:19 am

Artist Woe: WHEN I FORGET TO FINISH THE DETAILS ON SOMETHING. :smt013

I drew up something awesome last night and was going to add all the details to the background (do you know how many lines there are in desert sand? :| ) this morning while I was house-sitting for about half an hour--and the art totally slipped my mind when I had to tend the house a little as well as sit with it. I had at least fifteen good minutes after the housework (it wasn't much) and spent it planning designs for other things. :roll: As the owner came home I thought "oh right... :shock: OH SHIT!! :smt011 "
I scanned it anyway, maybe it can be part of a before and after thing. >_>'

Meh. :evil:

rustyrusty

Garbage Collector

Postby rustyrusty » Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:27 am

TimH wrote:
Heh, I have an artist friend who doesn't consider me an artist.

Over the years, growing more liberal has helped. :eyeroll:

It's like an in-crowd thing. The funny thing is that I've been drawing since I was a young child, while his art passion was discovered in his mid-20s and certified by his "multi-media approach". :?

I was in a band about eleven years ago with two guys who would tell me 'you're not really a musician', basically because I had no desire to play as fast as humanly possible. I can see it for what it was now, a very narrow-minded point of view, but back then I hung out with these guys a lot and it really got to me and brought me down.

Jesse

cheese

Postby Jesse » Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:40 pm

Scintillant-H wrote:Artist Woe: WHEN I FORGET TO FINISH THE DETAILS ON SOMETHING. :smt013

Ha I do this all the time. Most recently I had finished all the fine detail work on the hair in this traditional portrait piece. After I had scanned and uploaded it I noticed there is some shading I left out in the face. I will go back in and add it eventually but

Shishard

Fish-Smackin' Knight

Postby Shishard » Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:41 am

I had an art teacher that would praise our resident copy artist and ride us for details in our art. He always compared everyone to his pet. I would even bring in pictures of the copied art to show him his favorite was a hack artist. he refused to listen even with proof. The worse part was this teacher despised Bob Ross and his "factory art". We had few advanced placement students so we were lumped in with 3rd year art students. When the school brought a Bob Ross instructor in our teacher had us advanced placement students leave so we would not be influenced. Looking back he was a sad sack who went on to work in a factory.

Charlie Kirchoff

Birdman

Postby Charlie Kirchoff » Mon Sep 12, 2016 4:28 pm

For me, currently, its all about time. I have to spend all my time on freelance work that only pays once, and I have little to no time to develop my own things. I've been forcing myself to find the time, and I hope eventually I can transition from freelance to mostly creator owned work.

Scintillant-H

Postby Scintillant-H » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:00 am

Let's hear it for working like a dog on an art gift for someone only for them to show it off with the claim that THEY MADE IT THEMSELVES, 100%!

:drunk

Rebirth NoctourneM

Rain Partier

Postby Rebirth NoctourneM » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:31 am

Scintillant-H wrote:Let's hear it for working like a dog on an art gift for someone only for them to show it off with the claim that THEY MADE IT THEMSELVES, 100%!

:drunk

WTF

Scintillant-H

Postby Scintillant-H » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:40 am

Rebirth NoctourneM wrote:
WTF

Brought to you by: WHY WE CANT HAVE NICE THINGS
and: WATERMARKS ARE A BITCH

Rebirth NoctourneM

Rain Partier

Postby Rebirth NoctourneM » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:44 am