Wednesday, November 14, 2018 • Morning Edition • "Thoughtful analysis of important cultural issues."

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

Supergirl Season Five Thread

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

achilles

Rain Partier

Postby achilles » Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:21 pm

So, from what I understand, they continue to find ways to make Supergirl and her friends look like woke criminal assclowns with the big reveal that the writers seem to intend to make the villains seem villainish rather than making them seem...right, with SG seeming like, well, just what I said.

Be interesting to see where they go with this, (the President Alien thing). Do they double down on the wokeness of it, ignoring the fact that it's in fact criminal, or do they point little elephant in the room out? 'Cause if they do, all it does is make Wokegirl look worse and worse, still covering up a crime and being an accessory after the fact.

HNutz

Rain Partier

Postby HNutz » Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:46 pm

[Reveal] Spoiler: Click to Expand
Superman is off-world on Argo (code for "we'll never see him again"?), Kara is covering for him while still doing reporter stuff, Alex is training/beating her subordinates and James is talking about President Alien's transparency with her alien amnesty act.

Interesting, since as an alien refugee, she's illegible to be President.

Oh, and J'onn is in an AA-like meeting where aliens, disguised like humans, are talking about how it is living here.

Then one of the aliens in the meeting was attacked in his lab. His tusks were cut off, he hit a warning button on his phone, Supergirl showed up and the attackers, using high tech weaponry, overpowered her.

Then it went to commercial and we saw an ad for the new Grinch movie.

"Brainy, you don't leave, you don't BREATHE until I tell you to!"

Man, if J'onn treated Kara the way Alex is treating Brainy... I can't see that going over well.

Hey, why was the new girl buying coffee for Kara again?

"Lena, you're visiting your mom! I'm SHOCKED!"

J'onn told Supergirl than the attack was a hate crime and told her the same thing when the bar was attacked. She didn't want to hear that her perspective might not be the norm.

Alex told Kara he might have a point.
Kara told Alex not to punch Brainy.

Lena is making a ton of money selling image inducers. She visited her mom a second time and played chess with her a second time.

Brainy tracked the thieves, the Graves siblings, to an abandoned warehouse. They're going to attack Camp David and the President's summit.

Kara went to J'onn's apartment and tried to get him to fight with her. He refused. He's a pacifist now.

President Alien wouldn't cancel the summit. "A leader who caves to fear is no leader at all." (Except, of course, when you can rush in to fight aliens in Air Force One and get your pilots killed)

They fired an EMP at Camp David, but the DEO was pprep. The siblings snuck in wearing DEO uniforms but Alex, in her one of a kind power suit, stopped the attack. They tried to escape on motorcycles and the sister, Mercy, shot the brother so she could escape. Supergirl went to save him from falling off a cliff and saw that he was wearing Kevlar. So she only captured the brother, Otis.

Then they walked him through the office of the DEO headquarters before locking him up.

Brainy started dressing and acting like Winn and Alex apologized for the way she treated him.

Lena got her mom to talk about the shady stuff that went on at LexCorp with Manniheim and she gave the secret recording to the D.A., and then brought up the Guardian investigation.

New girl refused to speak up in a meeting. Kara told her to make waves.

The D.A. dropped charges against Olsen (but will arrest him if he suits up again) and filed new charges against Mannheim. Mama Luthor knows she was played.

The attack on the President exposed that she's a shapeshifting alien.

A hero from the comics is turned into a villain as Agent Liberty stabbed J'onn's friend in the back.

And... A Russian "Supergirl" is punching a tunnel through solid rock.

Ehhhh... Well, I'm hoping that it's better than the stretched out Worldkiller stuff.

I'm glad Mama Luthor brought up the attempted terraforming from awhile back. The fact that there's been alien invasions every year (Kryptonians, Daxamites, Kryptonian Worldkillers), that EVERY Kryptonian that's been on the show has been "evil" (even temporarily) that they tainted the atmosphere with lead to drive off the Daxamites and now it's out that the President is secretly a shapeshifter... That has the potential for some interesting moments and complex discussions.

Hopefully they'll reach their potential.

Bianco

rubber spoon

Postby Bianco » Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:52 pm

I'm not sure if I really want to watch this or not

HNutz

Rain Partier

Postby HNutz » Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:54 pm

Bianco wrote:
So are you trying to convince me to watch it or not to watch it? because as of now I'm going going with the latter

I wish I could say "go for it" but...

Bianco

rubber spoon

Postby Bianco » Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:55 pm

HNutz wrote:
I wish I could say "go for it" but...

I might just wait for the crossover and see where it's at

HNutz

Rain Partier

Postby HNutz » Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:57 pm

Bianco wrote:
I might just wait for the crossover and see where it's at

Who knows, it might be alright.

But I feel like they could drop the ball pretty easily, too.

IvCNuB4

Staff Writer

Postby IvCNuB4 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:52 am

The track suit jacket that Red Daughter was wearing looked strangely familiar. :smt017

achilles

Rain Partier

Postby achilles » Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:45 am

Damn, I feel like I've had five coffees, ten Red Bulls, and a Five Hour Energy, I'm so woke now! I won't sleep for a month! Wokegirl is so woke, it just has that effect. But now I've hit on great way to watch this show.

No, it's not a drinking game way, where you take a shot every time Kara does something woke, or her sister does something woke or lesbian, or J'ohn acts useless, or Lena teases a heel turn....that way lies death by alcohol poisoning. Rather, it's to treat Kara and the rest of the hero cast as the villains they actually are, and root for the characters the writers think are the villains. This whole episode is to set up some more Superman characters the writers stole because they think Supergirl has no real supporting characters of her own, as the villains. Otis, now recast as Mercy Graves's brother. There's a lot of crappy dialog to get through here, a lot of Kara being totally not self aware, and a lot of finding myself actually missing Jeremy Jordan, something I never thought possible, but something Brainy makes possible.

And...notice the end scene, where Agent Liberty and Mercy manage to kidnap J'ohn's alien friend for no apparent reason except to show how they are actually the villains, not Wokegirl and Hillary....excuse me, the President Alien. It's as if the writers suddenly realized, damn, we have the wrong guys appearing as the lawbreaking villains here, we've got to set up the ones we think of as the villains to be the actual villains. I mean there's literally no reason for Agent Liberty to do that, and no reason for him to do that to J'ohn's friend, except that he read the script and knows she's J'ohn's friend and thus someone the viewers have seen and might have some sympathy for. Oh well, I suppose it's only the 35th most obvious thing the writers on Wokegirl have done....

Also, they make a point of how Lena is making a ton of money on the image inducers...but how? How many alien ARE there on that Earth? I was under the impression that they all came from Ft. Rozz, and numbered at best a few thousand. In fact, there should be no other reason for an alien from an advanced society to flee to Earth, a relatively primitive planet, when they have could choose other, more suitable planets. And she can't be charging all that much for them, since most of the aliens seem to be poor and have trouble getting jobs.

Then again we see that the aliens seem to be giving Earth no net benefit....J'ohn's professor friend is doing "research" on an Earth level that humans can do, not any alien superscience that humans couldn't do and would hugely benefit humanity and make them better inclined to the aliens. All humans have to judge by are the frequent alien invasions and alien gangsters and alien superpowered killers. It's no wonder they don't like them.

Boss Manheim. I wonder if they'll bite the bullet on that one? Intergang? Darkseid? Probably not. WB probably still thinks they can do a sequel to Justice League, (like Zachary Levi improbably wants to join), and use him as the big bad. That's adorable.

HNutz

Rain Partier

Postby HNutz » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:46 am

achilles wrote:
[Reveal] Spoiler: Click to Expand
Damn, I feel like I've had five coffees, ten Red Bulls, and a Five Hour Energy, I'm so woke now! I won't sleep for a month! Wokegirl is so woke, it just has that effect. But now I've hit on great way to watch this show.

No, it's not a drinking game way, where you take a shot every time Kara does something woke, or her sister does something woke or lesbian, or J'ohn acts useless, or Lena teases a heel turn....that way lies death by alcohol poisoning. Rather, it's to treat Kara and the rest of the hero cast as the villains they actually are, and root for the characters the writers think are the villains. This whole episode is to set up some more Superman characters the writers stole because they think Supergirl has no real supporting characters of her own, as the villains. Otis, now recast as Mercy Graves's brother. There's a lot of crappy dialog to get through here, a lot of Kara being totally not self aware, and a lot of finding myself actually missing Jeremy Jordan, something I never thought possible, but something Brainy makes possible.

And...notice the end scene, where Agent Liberty and Mercy manage to kidnap J'ohn's alien friend for no apparent reason except to show how they are actually the villains, not Wokegirl and Hillary....excuse me, the President Alien. It's as if the writers suddenly realized, damn, we have the wrong guys appearing as the lawbreaking villains here, we've got to set up the ones we think of as the villains to be the actual villains. I mean there's literally no reason for Agent Liberty to do that, and no reason for him to do that to J'ohn's friend, except that he read the script and knows she's J'ohn's friend and thus someone the viewers have seen and might have some sympathy for. Oh well, I suppose it's only the 35th most obvious thing the writers on Wokegirl have done....

Also, they make a point of how Lena is making a ton of money on the image inducers...but how? How many alien ARE there on that Earth? I was under the impression that they all came from Ft. Rozz, and numbered at best a few thousand. In fact, there should be no other reason for an alien from an advanced society to flee to Earth, a relatively primitive planet, when they have could choose other, more suitable planets. And she can't be charging all that much for them, since most of the aliens seem to be poor and have trouble getting jobs.

Then again we see that the aliens seem to be giving Earth no net benefit....J'ohn's professor friend is doing "research" on an Earth level that humans can do, not any alien superscience that humans couldn't do and would hugely benefit humanity and make them better inclined to the aliens. All humans have to judge by are the frequent alien invasions and alien gangsters and alien superpowered killers. It's no wonder they don't like them.

Boss Manheim. I wonder if they'll bite the bullet on that one? Intergang? Darkseid? Probably not. WB probably still thinks they can do a sequel to Justice League, (like Zachary Levi improbably wants to join), and use him as the big bad. That's adorable.

I think the poorly described "Alien Amnesty Act" is supposed to be their Band-Aid for the whole illegal President Alien thing. Maybe.

Of course, it was only signed 2 years ago and wouldn't overrule the Constitution, I would think. Also, the public seemed to freak out when her secret was revealed (and rightly so).

"2 years ago, we signed an Alien Amnesty Act..." so, wait, that puts it right around the beginning of Season 2, when Superman first appeared. That IS when all of those aliens came out of nowhere.... Was that mentioned in those early episodes or was such a momentous accomplishment done quietly, in the shadows, with no one talking about it?

Gray

dINGO

Postby Gray » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:10 am

Black Lighting tackles some tough political issues but it never seems as ham fisted as Supergirl. I don't mind the feminism aspect of the show but the writers need a better way to handle it.

SporkBot

Swedish Pinata of Death

Postby SporkBot » Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:15 pm

Soooo...apparently word is spreading of a Superman show spinning off of this.

I just hope they get better writers than they've had for this one.

Bianco

rubber spoon

Postby Bianco » Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:43 pm

If they do it probably won't be for a while, they're already working on Batwoman. The same rumor says it all depends on how well the ratings go for the crossover.

New shows are great but it kind of makes me wonder if they're going to cut some of the old shows, particularly Legends to make room

Johnny Smith

biny little tird

Postby Johnny Smith » Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:57 pm

Have no fear.

Lex Luthor will make this show great again!

He'll take care of those woke criminal assclowns :groucho:

SporkBot

Swedish Pinata of Death

Postby SporkBot » Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:16 pm

Johnny Smith wrote:Have no fear.

Lex Luthor will make this show great again!

He'll take care of those woke criminal assclowns

Oy. I hope that's not the interpretation they go with. Yeah, Lex has a beef with aliens, but A) mostly Superman and B) it's because he finds they impede the progress of humanity, not the same reasons as Drumpf, who's just...well, not very smart.

HNutz

Rain Partier

Postby HNutz » Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:45 pm

SporkBot wrote:
Oy. I hope that's not the interpretation they go with. Yeah, Lex has a beef with aliens, but A) mostly Superman and B) it's because he finds they impede the progress of humanity, not the same reasons as Drumpf, who's just...well, not very smart.

Yeah, but they probably just can't resist making a Trump-like Luthor.

Feels like they're scraping the bottom of the barrel and getting desperate. Well, to me, at least.

Wonder if they'll go with THIS look?

(Not holding my breath)

leave a comment with facebook