Saturday, November 17, 2018 • Morning Edition • "Manufacturing outrage since 2006."

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

Durnkin Reveewz: Avengers #9

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron

Rain Partier

Postby LOLtron » Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:56 pm

At this point, Namor has become the Big Show of comic book characters turning heel so frequently you just have to just shrug at and just go, "Oh well, at least the story will be good." And just like a Big Show heel turn, it isn't.

*To those who do not know what they're about to read. Well, here's your warning. The following is just Zechs being Zechs. Grammatical errors are bound to happen you down three bottles of This Ain't Your Dad's Root Beer or several soft drinks mixed with Captain Morgan trying to comprehend the garbage you read.

Further, these reviews began on the forums. Those looking for a numerical system as per my other reviews best look else. Some folk above me love me blurting out raw brutally honest shit, and rather have that be on the front page. So there. You've been warned. Anything now is on your head for not following the warning. 

If you so wish and recommend me some horrific comics for October if you join our Patreon. After all, someone's gotta pay for my drinking tab.

* This review will contain slight spoilers to Avengers #9 unless of course, you read the preview and well, nevermind you already know what's going to be talked about here.

I've been basically picking on DC Comics more than I should, so I decided, "Hey Marvel's been doing somewhat good lately on Amazing Spider-Man, Captain America, Exiles, and Domino. I wonder how their main Avengers comic is doing? Let's go back to check that out." And of course, I'm instantly greeted with Namor being the "possible" villain of the arc. I say possibly since it's still possible this is all just a twist that as usual, Namor will be under someone's control. But-- eh let's just go with what this issue gives us right? 

And what this issue gives is basically a spit in the ever-loving face to anyone who's read the character. Now I may not be a diehard Namor fan, but I know Tiger Shark is basically one of his big foes (the other is Attuma) and that this fella did something to Namor bad. I forgot what it was, but I know it was something. So to have this character be all, "DA FUCK?" and be allowed to breathe oxygen underwater with the prince is a big old WTF? Also isn't Namor and X-Men again (X-Men: Red right? That comic is still in publication?). What the hell is this comic contradicting that? Continuity still matters right? Oh, who am I kidding on that?

Anyway, it turns out the last issue planted hints of this "new" direction for Namor with several Roxxon Oil fella doing what they do best, and screwing things up. Still doesn't explain why Namor is stomaching Tiger Shark other than to have an "uber-cool fish team", which is sort of neat but it just doesn't make sense.

Then there's the death that occurs in this issue. Okay, Stingray's death. ... Da fuck? More so, again weren't these two friends? And.. Namor just brutally beats the shit out of him and lets him get fed on by sharks? Da fuck? I have questions, but these answers are just so full of establishing Namor as, "THIS TIME HE MEANS IT." 

So much so I have to roll my eyes and laugh at the latest attempt of making Namor a threat and then pulling that away. Let's look at the chart of recent Namor activity. He floods the entire nation of Wakanda in Avengers vs. X-Men. Blows up a freaking planet to save his own during the last good Avengers run (which was several years ago now). Then assembles his own dubious team to keep blowing other alternate Earth's up to save their own. Does another act when all that's done and is murdered (which is then undone by that series' end). Has horrible remorse for his actions, but oops. Too little too late. Then after that, he's okay again and a nice guy. 

Seriously, Namor has flip-flopped from good to bad to good to bad, he's literally become the Big Show of comic book characters to me. I just have to look and depending on the situation it's probable Namor is evil, but who knows maybe the next's issue will be a face turn cause-- HA HA! That's Namor for ya! 

Wait, I just realized isn't Namor going to be part of a new Invaders team? DA FUCK! This new heel turn really won't last at all!  Namor really has become the Big Show of comic books. 

This dubious characterization aside, there's just nothing of this Avengers team that floats my boat. It just seems all, "been there" and "done that". Even with a Ghost Rider finally, on the team, my mind should be pumped for all of this. Yet... it just all seems-- boring.

That's the worst thing I can say about this comic. Every time I've tried to read an issue of it. I've just been bored with it, save again any Ghost Rider antics.  Which is weird when you compare DC's Justice League comics. Each and every comic that has a JL name to it actually is delivering with its characters. Which just is strange that Marvel has this assembly of their best and-- it falls so flat on its face.  Maybe Jason Aaron is wrong for an Avengers team comic and should stick to Thors and hairy Canadian bubs who are alive again. Cause there it seems to be working. Here? Not so much...

Oh, wait. I take it back. Namor's a good guy again. No, wait he's turned back to being evil since I finished my last sentence. Nope good. DAMMIT NAMOR STAY ON ONE SIDE! It hurts my already fragile brain! 

Wait did Hulk freefall underwater? How is that possible? Wait, Atlantis is back? But wasn't it destroyed during Secret Empire? Ugh.. my head.  Yeah, that's when you know a story is bad. When you begin to wonder question the reality of the situation and the flaws rear their fin rather easily than not. How the hell is Justice League comics the only constant now at DC? Wait.. wrong company! Dammit! But they are better comics. Maybe I should stick to that and the better written/fun Marvel ones. Cause this one? Avengers is so not that. Until then, Namor flip-flopped between good and bad elven more times. No make that twelve now. 

Damn that guy can't just stay on one side. Like this drink in my hand. It flip flops, but hey at least it stays the same. Why can't Namor? 

Written or Contributed by Zechs

READ THIS ARTICLE ON THE FRONT PAGE, HUMANS!

RobThompson

cheese

Postby RobThompson » Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:44 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Marvel not understanding how to use Namor has always bothered me a bit.

HNutz

Rain Partier

Postby HNutz » Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:51 pm

LOLtron wrote:Then there's the death that occurs in this issue. Okay, Stingray's death. ... Da fuck? More so, again weren't these two friends? And.. Namor just brutally beats the shit out of him and lets him get fed on by sharks? Da fuck?

:smt011 :smt011 :smt011 :smt011 :smt011

Rat bastards!

Glad I saved my 4 bucks.

LiamA

cheese

Postby LiamA » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:30 am

He floods the entire nation of Wakanda in Avengers vs. X-Men.

How? Isn't Wakanda a landlocked country?

HNutz

Rain Partier

Postby HNutz » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:39 am

LiamA wrote:

Depends on the story, I guess.

It was on the coast in Hudlin's run.

chap22

Rain Partier

Postby chap22 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:39 am

Namor should be a hero who's a dick. Period. Full stop.

He damn sure should not be fucking slaughtering Stingray, FFS. :smt011 :smt011

Read Byrne's book from the 90s and make it your character bible, Marvel. It ain't that hard.

Amoebas

Son of Stein

Postby Amoebas » Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:52 pm

Namor murders Stingray?

Reset the clock! :smt011

Zechs

Outhouse Editor

Postby Zechs » Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:54 pm

LiamA wrote:

You're asking rational questions to an irrational Marvel?

Zechs

Outhouse Editor

Postby Zechs » Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:54 pm

Amoebas wrote:Namor murders Stingray?

Reset the clock! :smt011

I broke it. Remember?

Amoebas

Son of Stein

Postby Amoebas » Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:44 pm

Namor murders Stingray?

Rebuild the clock and then reset it! :smt011

Zechs

Outhouse Editor

Postby Zechs » Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:18 pm

Amoebas wrote:Namor murders Stingray?

Rebuild the clock and then reset it! :smt011

I shall not. It's a great coaster for the bottles I drink.

Zechs

Outhouse Editor

Postby Zechs » Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:55 pm

Due to Namor turning heel in last week's Avengers, now the Big Show has turned heel on Smackdown in retaliation. I expect that Namor will be a face in a comic this week before Big Show goes face in response.

Truly we are in the greatest heel/face rivalry of our time.

NeverReady

cheese

Postby NeverReady » Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:25 pm

chap22 wrote:Namor should be a hero who's a dick. Period. Full stop.

He damn sure should not be fucking slaughtering Stingray, FFS. :smt011 :smt011

Read Byrne's book from the 90s and make it your character bible, Marvel. It ain't that hard.

Namor should be, as he's always been, a bipolar asshole. A murderer of allies, though? Never! Who does Aaron think he is, Trump?

RobThompson

cheese

Postby RobThompson » Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:49 pm

NeverReady wrote:
Namor should be, as he's always been, a bipolar asshole. A murderer of allies, though? Never! Who does Aaron think he is, Trump?

:roll:

Amoebas

Son of Stein

Postby Amoebas » Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:49 pm

I wish I hadn't but I looked at this book earlier today.

Yeah, Namor's a true dick.

I hand a good laugh at Namor's new skills - especially his new plumbing power at being able to flood a jail cell from a few hundred miles away. :lol:

leave a comment with facebook