Thursday, November 15, 2018 • Morning Edition • "ISIS approved!"

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

As DC Races To Erase Batdicks From DC Universe, Dick Grayson Becomes Ric Grayson

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Glaeken

Motherfucker from Hell

Postby Glaeken » Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:50 pm

Bianco wrote:
As a personal fan myself I can't argue with that

But Bruce LaBruce would disagree. ;)

zryson

YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby zryson » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:58 pm

Another winner from the DC Brains Trust.

IvCNuB4

Staff Writer

Postby IvCNuB4 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:15 am

What's wrong with the preview? God forbid DC make any changes to their 40-something old characters. It's become so played out to yell "Reset the counter" any time a "fan" doesn't like something. If you don't like it, say why. Start some conversation.

zryson

YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby zryson » Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:28 am

Bianco wrote:Reset the counter

The counter cannot be reset. It was broken a long time ago and even one of those mind-bending costume altering Crisis events couldn't put it back together again.

Draco x

Hopscotch

Postby Draco x » Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:34 am

I'm not tripping too much over this as this will be ignored and forgotten like the Agent Grayson gimmick from the New 52 in a little bit.

chap22

Rain Partier

Postby chap22 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:56 am

Draco x wrote:I'm not tripping too much over this as this will be ignored and forgotten like the Agent Grayson gimmick from the New 52 in a little bit.

Agent Grayson actually turned out to be cool, though. And his relationships with Tiger and Helena from that series have been referenced/maintained in Rebirth.

I have less than zero faith that this dumbass idea will turn out similarly.

chap22

Rain Partier

Postby chap22 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:01 am

IvCNuB4 wrote:What's wrong with the preview? God forbid DC make any changes to their 40-something old characters. It's become so played out to yell "Reset the counter" any time a "fan" doesn't like something. If you don't like it, say why. Start some conversation.

1. The whole "Ric" thing is stupid, reactionary nonsense that DC should just ignore.

2. I read this basic story already (although it was admittedly split into two separate stories, one with the different name/ID, and another with the loss of skills) 20+ years ago in Daredevil. I doubt Ric Grayson is gonna turn out nearly as well as Jack Batlin...and while I personally really liked the Batlin arc it's not widely renowned as one of the top 5-10 classic DD tales.

3. It's 2018 Lobdell. Forgive me if I don't hold out hope this is gonna be readable.

4. A bat-shaped scar on his head? You're REALLY gonna try to defend this???

Bianco

rubber spoon

Postby Bianco » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:02 am

zryson wrote:
The counter cannot be reset. It was broken a long time ago and even one of those mind-bending costume altering Crisis events couldn't put it back together again.

To be honest it's really more of a battle cry then anything else

SporkBot

Swedish Pinata of Death

Postby SporkBot » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:22 am

chap22 wrote:1. The whole "Ric" thing is stupid, reactionary nonsense that DC should just ignore.

On the list of ideas DC has had, this one ranks among the least stupid, but also feels pretty pointless.

3. It's 2018 Lobdell. Forgive me if I don't hold out hope this is gonna be readable.

Holy crap...is Grayson going to start porking strangers when he's bored and insisting emotion has no place in sex? Then Lobdell will claim it's all for empowerment?

4. A bat-shaped scar on his head? You're REALLY gonna try to defend this???

I thought it was more shaped like his Nightwing emblem. Either way, it's one of those kitschy things that can either be very clever or very stupid, depending on how it's played. But the pic I saw didn't seem overly subtle enough to be clever.

Draco x

Hopscotch

Postby Draco x » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:52 am

chap22 wrote:
Agent Grayson actually turned out to be cool, though. And his relationships with Tiger and Helena from that series have been referenced/maintained in Rebirth.

I have less than zero faith that this dumbass idea will turn out similarly.

In other words, Ric Grayson will be forgotten sooner than Agent Grayson is what you meant to say.

chap22

Rain Partier

Postby chap22 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:54 am

Draco x wrote:
In other words, Ric Grayson will be forgotten sooner than Agent Grayson is what you meant to say.

Well, considering Agent Grayson hasn't actually been forgotten yet, then yes obviously.

Also, Jesus Christ I fucking HOPE so. This idea should've been forgotten before it was ever conceived.

Draco x

Hopscotch

Postby Draco x » Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:34 pm

chap22 wrote:
Well, considering Agent Grayson hasn't actually been forgotten yet, then yes obviously.

Also, Jesus Christ I fucking HOPE so. This idea should've been forgotten before it was ever conceived.

Trust me, DC will do something just as or even more stupid than this before the end of this year.

Grayson

Outhouse Drafter

Postby Grayson » Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:59 pm

IvCNuB4 wrote:What's wrong with the preview? God forbid DC make any changes to their 40-something old characters. It's become so played out to yell "Reset the counter" any time a "fan" doesn't like something. If you don't like it, say why. Start some conversation.

A story like this is sure to be a sensitive subject for a lot of fans, whether it be because of the gruesome nature of the subject matter or the idea of completely flipping a fan favorite character upside down. To that end, a story like this needs to be handled delicately. Scott Lobdell doesn't do delicate. Scott Lobdell is a fucking chainsaw. Also, it doesn't help that we are in the midst of a particularly bloody time at DC considering the nature of their currrent Heroes in Crisis story. After just getting a lot of these characters back and/or at the very least in semi-recognizable condition, it's completely fair to expect a less than warm welcome to stories like these from long time fans.

Grayson

Outhouse Drafter

Postby Grayson » Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:00 pm

Also, Agent Grayson was the bee's knees!

IvCNuB4

Staff Writer

Postby IvCNuB4 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:48 pm

Grayson wrote:Also, Agent Grayson was the bee's knees!

It really was. The rest of us actually know that because we read those titles unlike Draco who just references random things hoping they fit into his latest "this will be forgotten" comments.

leave a comment with facebook