Tuesday, November 20, 2018 • Morning Edition • "Ban Herald ASAP!"

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

The Everyday Thread! Open Everyday For You! So, What's New?

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Keb

<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:12 pm

I like those Maze Runner movies. The first one was really good. Second one was okay.

I watched Lawrence of Arabia last night and today. It's a great movie.

Keb

<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:15 pm

Also, forgot to post last Tuesday's lecture on Watchmen chs. 4-6.

[Reveal] Spoiler: Click to Expand
Watchmen Lecture 2
Activity: In groups of XX, create a Venn Diagram chart for Rorschach and Dr. Manhattan based on their
origins.
What do we see? We have two very different heroes in this instance. On the one hand, we have a man
of complete and total science, one who is nearly if not omnipotent and God-like. If we look at
Osterman’s background, we see the child of an immigrant, a man of humble blue collar roots, using new
technology in order to advance his station in life. From there, we’re treated to the story of a man who is
destroyed and recreated by science.

Osterman’s story is interesting because it plays with the messiah concept quite a bit. We have a man
who dies and is reborn into something more powerful, something more realized than he was
beforehand. The interesting thing is that as Jon Osterman becomes more and more powerful, as he
realizes his own potential, he starts to disconnect further and further from humanity. We see this right
from the beginning of chapter 4.

As he narrates his story, what we read is linear, but the emphasis is that time is not linear for
Manhattan. Rather, time exists all at once; events don’t happen one after the other but rather they
happen relative to each other. This is the first glimpse we have into his understanding of the world.
That’s what we have to take into consideration with him. He’s a man of science and while we see
science as being very ordered and controlled, he sees science as existence.

Use the watch as a metaphor: the watch is a very intricate piece of machinery. It uses a number of gears
and springs in order to keep time. Notice how, again, we’re dealing with time. We’re dealing with heavy
mechanical processes, gears and stuff, that takes a lot of time and patience. This is how Dr. Manhattan
sees the world. It’s very one-dimensional in that everything is a process and he wants to understand all
of them.

How does Rorschach differ? Well for one, he doesn’t have the same opportunities as Osterman. Walter
Kovacs is a poor child who grows up without a father to guide him. His mother clearly is unfit to take
care of him and this gives him a very skewed view of life and sexuality. At the beginning of the book, we
start to get an idea of how Rorschach sees the world in black and white and chapter 6 gives us the
reason for his view of the world being the way it is.

When we look at his origin, it’s the exact opposite of Dr. Manhattan. Most importantly is this idea of
morality that Rorschach has that Dr. Manhattan doesn’t. This is what separates the two men and this
will be important later on in the story.

Rorschach believes in justice, right and wrong. It comes to the point where it actually becomes his
reason for living. The sequence in chapter 5 pages 16-25 symbolizes the change in Rorschach. This is his
point of no return. Normally, when we think of people doing what’s moral and good, there’s a line.
There’s a line that heroes don’t cross, even Batman.

If you’ve ever read the Killing Joke by Alan Moore, he deals with this idea that Batman and the Joker are
locked in an endless struggle that only ever ends when one kills the other. Rorschach has crossed that
threshold. He’s gone from being a hero to becoming a killer. In literature, we call this type of hero an “anti-hero”. This type of hero is one that we generally like or cheer for despite the fact that they may be
amoral. In this case, Rorschach crosses a line that he believes is necessary while others do not share his
opinion. This will come into play a lot later in the novel at the climax.

We have to understand that the world where Watchmen takes place has a very skewed view of
morality. That is further emphasized in the pirate comic. There are a number of ways to start reading
this comic at this point. You can see it as it applies parallel to a certain character or you can read it as a
narrative that encompasses the whole world.

If you’re not understanding the symbolism that happens in the comic, you have to sit back and look at
what’s going on. So the narrator, who begins his journey to Davidstown to warn them of the
approaching Black Freighter, he uses the bloated bodies of his dead crewmates. He does so with little to
no remorse. As he’s travelling on his raft, he begins catching and eating birds right out of the air. We can
clearly see that his behaviour is become less rational as he continues his journey. When he’s attacked by
sharks, he eventually uses them as his raft.

When someone is doing something irrational, are they aware of their behaviour? A lot of the time they
aren’t. If they’re going insane, they very rarely believe they are. In this case, the narrator of the pirate
comic rationalizes his behaviour. He knows that something terrible is going to happen and he must do
everything he can to prevent that from happening.

Let’s see where this mindset takes him.

Moving on the epigraph at the end of chapter 5, it’s taken from William Blake’s poem “The Tyger”. Let’s
read it.

Tyger Tyger, burning bright, 
In the forests of the night; 
What immortal hand or eye, 
Could frame thy fearful symmetry? 

In what distant deeps or skies. 
Burnt the fire of thine eyes? 
On what wings dare he aspire? 
What the hand, dare seize the fire? 

And what shoulder, &amp; what art, 
Could twist the sinews of thy heart? 
And when thy heart began to beat, 
What dread hand? &amp; what dread feet? 

What the hammer? what the chain, 
In what furnace was thy brain? 
What the anvil? what dread grasp, 
Dare its deadly terrors clasp! 

When the stars threw down their spears 
And water&#39;d heaven with their tears: 
Did he smile his work to see? 
Did he who made the Lamb make thee? 

Tyger Tyger burning bright, 
In the forests of the night: 
What immortal hand or eye, 
Dare frame thy fearful symmetry?

Reading through the poem, we get a definite description of a predator. The tyger is a natural predator
and Blake does a good job creating imagery that is scary. He uses a number of metaphors that frame this
idea. The idea of the tyger’s brain being forged, like a machine, evokes an unnatural image. It actually
goes back to the idea that the tyger is so terrifying that the speaker wonders whether or not God
himself created it.

That’s how Rorschach is described in chapter 5. In that chapter, he continues trying to unravel his mask
killer theory, especially after the botched hit on Adrian Veidt. He has a number of ideas but he’s unable
to narrow it down. We have to wonder if Rorschach is really onto something. In chapter 5 page 11 he
suspects that Dreiberg and Laurie in some strange love affair. He wonders if Laurie is the one who
manufactured the exit of Dr. Manhattan. With this, we see how extreme Rorschach can be. We earlier
saw Laurie straight up just walk out on Jon of her own volition. We have to assume that she would do
that in any situation.

Rorschach is one of those interesting characters who unravels throughout this whole novel. In the final
pages of the chapter, we see him take on the police. He is incredibly resourceful and uses everything
around him to defend himself but in the end, his mask is ripped off and he’s revealed to be the crazy guy
who walks around with the “end of the world” sign.

Why would this be important? Why is it important that Walter Kovacs believes the world is ending?
Well, for one, Rorschach believes he is following some kind of plan. He believes that the world will end.
If you’re familiar with the book of Revelations in the bible, the world at its end times is incredibly flawed
and there is wickedness all around. Rorschach, in his journal, he comments that the world is a horrible
place and that society is dying.

In fact, he’s kind of awkward. When we look at Kovacs in his origin story, we see an awkward child.
Rorschach is your prototypical psychopathic character. But here he is as a superhero as well. When we
think of vigilantes and vigilantism, we have to understand that there is an anti-social or psychopathic
quality to the job. This is a person who truly believes that he or she is above society. Although we tend
to think of heroes as someone necessary in society, the idea of someone who takes the law into their
own hands is an incredibly anti-social idea. Frank Miller (recommended reading) further explores this
idea in the Dark Knight Returns.

Think about this, we as a society have laws put in place to protect people and to maintain order within
the society/community that we have created. To have someone who believes they are above those
laws, who believes that the institutions put into place to enforce those laws are not sufficient or are not
doing what they should be doing, is essentially anti-social.

We’re not talking anti-social like “don’t want to talk to anyone” but rather, as defined on Google:

contrary to the laws and customs of society; devoid of or antagonistic to sociable instincts or
practices.

So the person acts contrary to the laws and breaks them. They go out and do their own police work.
Rorschach has descended into psychopathic territory. Again, from Google:
Psychopathy, sometimes considered synonymous with sociopathy, is traditionally defined as a
personality disorder characterized by persistent antisocial behavior, impaired empathy and
remorse, and bold, disinhibited, and egotistical traits.

We can definitely check off persistent antisocial behaviour. We can also check off impaired empathy and
remorse. We can also check off bold, disinhibited and egotistical. He definitely fits the bill.
What’s interesting is to see how magnetic his behaviour is when he deals with Dr. Malcolm Reynolds.
The personality is infectious. It starts to permeate Dr. Reynolds’ brain. The interesting moment is on
page 191 when he exclaims that he’s not locked in there with the inmates, but rather they’re locked in
there with him. It implies his dominance and that is what has allowed Rorschach to survive for all these
years. He has essentially dominated everyone in the criminal underworld and thus he must maintain his
nature now. We will see this later in the novel when other characters dwarf him (morally) and how he
acts and maintains his own character.

But the title of chapter 6 is called “The Abyss Gazes Also” and I think that’s very poignant in terms of
what Moore is saying about superheroism and what it does to those who try to understand it. As
Malcolm Reynolds tries to understand Rorschach, he starts to become like him. We can clearly see that
in his relationship with his wife. If Rorschach has some kind of inherent deflection to sexuality, then this
starts to infect Reynolds’ own life. He becomes obsessed, not with fighting crime, but with
understanding Rorschach and what drives him.

The abyss then becomes symbolic for power. We can apply this same idea to Dr. Manhattan. He is
transformed into something more, a being of pure science, and thus he becomes obsessed with science.
His vision starts to become clouded, which affects his sense of empathy. This is ultimately what destroys
his relationship with Laurie. As he becomes so consumed by his life as a walking science-being, he loses
his humanity. That’s why he returns to the bar at Gila Flats. He means to try and reconnect with his
humanity. When he realizes he is unable to , that’s when he decides to leave. He teleports to Mars and
builds his castle/vehicle thing, which is made of watch parts if you notice.

Even Dr. Manhattan, who with all of his power, is flawed. That is what we’re dealing with at the core of
the novel: powerful, flawed people. People in power who are incredibly flawed. Let’s keep this in mind
as we continue on with the text.

Pizza Dog

Dog of Pizza

Postby Pizza Dog » Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:10 pm

Oh no biggy... Just Alex Mallari Jr Tweeting a video of himself signing one of my cross stitches... :smt102

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :smt026 :smt026 :smt026 :smt026 :smt026 :smt026 :smt026 :smt026 :smt026 :smt026 :smt026 :smt026 :smt026 :smt026 :smt026 :smt026 :smt026 :smt026 :smt026 :smt026 :smt026 :smt026

TheLurker

rubber spoon

Postby TheLurker » Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:53 pm

Yeah, pretty damn cool. :drunk

Keb

<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:57 pm

Walked by the Starbucks next to my school today and saw one of my 12s sitting in the shop reading her copy of Watchmen. 8)

IvCNuB4

Staff Writer

Postby IvCNuB4 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:06 am

"Successful people do what unsuccessful people are not willing to do. Don’t wish it were easier, wish you were better." - Jim Rohn

Johnny Smith

biny little tird

Postby Johnny Smith » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:55 am

Comics this week:

Havok, leader of ... the Reavers?!
Morlun will not rest until he's destroyed the one Spider who has ever bested him

Keb

<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:16 am

My stomach has been a mess and I can't keep food down. Our marks are due Friday afternoon. Luckily I got mine done on Thursday morning. I booked a sub.

Stephen Day

Wrasslin' Fan

Postby Stephen Day » Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:49 pm

What I bought this week:

Stephen Day

Wrasslin' Fan

Postby Stephen Day » Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:33 pm

Keb wrote:My stomach has been a mess and I can't keep food down. Our marks are due Friday afternoon. Luckily I got mine done on Thursday morning. I booked a sub.

Are you feeling any better today?

IvCNuB4

Staff Writer

Postby IvCNuB4 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:49 pm

Johnny Smith wrote:Comics this week:

I heard that Batman issue is supposed to be really good. I probably won't be able to get this week's comics until next Wednesday. I moved wrong on my left knee and it hurts like fuck. I had it scoped years ago and they told me that I only have minimal cartilage left. The pain will subside eventually but it also doesn't help that its been rainy here and that always affects both my knees.

Stephen Day

Wrasslin' Fan

Postby Stephen Day » Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:51 pm

IvCNuB4 wrote:
I heard that Batman issue is supposed to be really good. I probably won't be able to get this week's comics until next Wednesday. I moved wrong on my left knee and it hurts like fuck. I had it scoped years ago and they told me that I only have minimal cartilage left. The pain will subside eventually but it also doesn't help that its been rainy here and that always affects both my knees.

Sorry to hear that. I hope your knee feels better as soon as possible. I've had some small knee problems over the years myself so I have some idea about how much it sucks. The dam things are never the same again after any injury to them.

Keb

<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:39 am

Stephen Day wrote:
Are you feeling any better today?

I'm bloated all the time.

Stephen Day

Wrasslin' Fan

Postby Stephen Day » Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:59 pm

Keb wrote:I'm bloated all the time.

That sucks. :(

Is there anything the doctors can do for you?

Keb

<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:36 pm

No. I just need to eat healthy and less and maybe add some fibre to my diet.

leave a comment with facebook