Friday, November 16, 2018 • Afternoon Edition • "Assholes welcome."

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

Fiddle-Faddle! No Third Season For 'Luke Cage'

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron

Rain Partier

Postby LOLtron » Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:42 pm

Looks like there will be some Heroes For Hire…

Source: Netflix Pulls The Plug On ‘Luke Cage’, No Season 3 For Marvel’s Harlem Hero

While it wasn't that big a surprise that Marvel and Netflix's Iron Fist was canceled, it is a bit surprising that it's fellow, better reviewed, series Luke Cage has been. In fact, it seems that preparations for a third season of Luke Cage were underway, but something blew up the deal.

The scuttlebutt surrounding the move involved the classic "creative differences", plus the shortening of the third season from 13 to 10 episodes:

It eventually escalated to behind-the-scenes turmoil in the past two days and demands for changes in creative regime. With Marvel and Netflix seemingly intractable and on different sides of the disputes, a harsh cancelation became the only viable exit strategy, it appears.

So two of the four Defenders are now without series. Daredevil's third season just launched, Jessica Jones is still scheduled to get a third season as well, and Punisher hasn't been canceled… yet. We'll just have to see what happens, and if the Disney  streaming service might be able to pick up on the Marvel streaming slack. Might we see Power Man and Iron Fist, or since we also have Misty Knight and Colleen Wing without a home, Daughters of the Dragon on the upcoming streaming service?

Whatever the case, there are more available Heroes for Hire now…

Written or Contributed by sdsichero

READ THIS ARTICLE ON THE FRONT PAGE, HUMANS!

Draco x

Hopscotch

Postby Draco x » Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:52 pm

This is very surprising to hear but this is obviously some behind-the-scene politics that played a role in this. I do hope that this leads to a Heroes For Hire series if Iron-Fist and Luke Cage just got canned.

RobThompson

cheese

Postby RobThompson » Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:18 pm

The black man gets screwed over again.

Draco x

Hopscotch

Postby Draco x » Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:24 pm

RobThompson wrote:The black man gets screwed over again.

Yeah, it's surprising to hear that Luke Cage got canned after how well Season 2 was received. We've known that Disney and Netflix have been having some differences recently but I do hope Disney in particular isn't stupid enough to totally get rid of this show but will hopefully reveal they have other plans for it with possibly spinning this off into Heroes For Hire with Iron Fist onboard.

NeverReady

cheese

Postby NeverReady » Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:11 pm

I would love to see a Heroes for Hire/Daughters of the Dragon series, whichever network it ends up on. I loved the Chris Claremont/Marshall Rogers Daughters stories in Bizarre Adventures way back when, and the Gray/Palmiotti/Evans miniseries from 2006 (and damn you all for making me go upstairs to dig through assorted stacks to find those issues. I didn't, but I did find my entire Warren/Kitchen Sink run of The Spirit with the Eerie one-shots, so we're cool.)

Uhh, where was I? Oh yeah, Heroes for Hire with the Daughters of the Dragon. Please God, somebody make it happen. (Did I mention I plotted a Daughters miniseries involving the Circus of Crime many years ago? Never mind...)

sequentialgeek

Fish-Smackin' Knight

Postby sequentialgeek » Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:39 pm

YES! Thank G0d, no more uber "TeleMundo"-type dialog, anticlimatic, loooong drawn out Netflix Marvel. First seasons of Jessica Jones, and Luke Cage were good, but that's it. I was rooting for the villains in Daredevil, hoping they would shut Karen Page, Foggy up -their self pity, cry baby angst -ENOUGH! Defenders, and both Iron Fist seasons were sooo boring. It's too much, CW TV shows (at least Legends of Tomorrow is meant to be camp, but the rest are gawd awful TeleMundo crap-o-la), and Marvel's Agents of SHIELD -I thought Ruth Nega was a terrible actress, until I saw her in Preacher, then I finally realized how these shows totally sell their own actors short.

Solution: Watch "Preacher", ...and watch "Z Nation"...Learn to stop watching these shows just because you like the "idea" of seeing your comics 'finally' w/their own shows... They are a great example of 'American' 'culture', how everyone prefers to say "think positive", "im special", "just pray", instead of paying attention to the excrement of that which is most 'entertainment'. Why not just have Kim Kardashian play Wonder Woman, at this point???

Bianco

rubber spoon

Postby Bianco » Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:00 am

I wonder if these cancellations will make it easier for them to interact with the rest of the MCU

GiveWarAChance

Silly French Man

Postby GiveWarAChance » Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:22 am

Come on, these cancellations are as simple as Disney not wanting to play ball with their biggest competition to their upcoming streaming service. Disney's streaming service is supposed to be all non-R rated material, so they have no intentions of bringing these characters over. I wouldn't be surprised to see them all get cancelled.

Draco x

Hopscotch

Postby Draco x » Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:48 am

Bianco wrote:I wonder if these cancellations will make it easier for them to interact with the rest of the MCU

We can only hope. If they bring back Luke and co on a different platform, at least they should keep the same writers from Luke Cage as I don't want them being in the hands of some hack writers or be micro-managed by Disney where they get watered down.

Draco x

Hopscotch

Postby Draco x » Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:53 am

GiveWarAChance wrote:Come on, these cancellations are as simple as Disney not wanting to play ball with their biggest competition to their upcoming streaming service. Disney's streaming service is supposed to be all non-R rated material, so they have no intentions of bringing these characters over. I wouldn't be surprised to see them all get cancelled.

So you're saying that Disney is going to be Warner-Bros levels of stupid by destroying some of their cash-cows because of boardroom politics. I have my criticisms of some decisions Disney/ Marvel have done but if you're right, all that's going to do is piss off and alienate a lot of Marvel fans who enjoy these shows. Even if they cut Netflix out the picture completely, they should be thinking ahead of a better alternative for these shows so that they can keep making money with these characters.

Bianco

rubber spoon

Postby Bianco » Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:30 am

GiveWarAChance wrote:Come on, these cancellations are as simple as Disney not wanting to play ball with their biggest competition to their upcoming streaming service. Disney's streaming service is supposed to be all non-R rated material, so they have no intentions of bringing these characters over. I wouldn't be surprised to see them all get cancelled.

I'm not sure how it works but from what I've been reading Netflix not Disney has the right to cancel the shows. Or Disney can't cancel them without the okay from Netflix

Honestly part of me wouldn't mind them being cancelled it's the only reason I keep my Netflix subscription.

IvCNuB4

Staff Writer

Postby IvCNuB4 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:57 am

Great. Now I'm craving ..

GiveWarAChance

Silly French Man

Postby GiveWarAChance » Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:48 am

Bianco wrote:
I'm not sure how it works but from what I've been reading Netflix not Disney has the right to cancel the shows. Or Disney can't cancel them without the okay from Netflix

Honestly part of me wouldn't mind them being cancelled it's the only reason I keep my Netflix subscription.

Disney doesn't play ball with Netflix. Creative differences given as reason. Netflix cancels the show. Disney slowly destroys competition. World domination to follow.

Bianco

rubber spoon

Postby Bianco » Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:02 am

GiveWarAChance wrote:Disney doesn't play ball with Netflix. Creative differences given as reason. Netflix cancels the show. Disney slowly destroys competition. World domination to follow.

I just think this streaming stuff is going to implode sooner rather than later

It made sense at first as an alternative to cable

It was bad enough choosing between
Hulu/Netflix/Amazon or you can relatively afford all 3 but with everybody and their grandmother starting streaming services it's going to start getting pricey

RobThompson

cheese

Postby RobThompson » Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:57 am

Bianco wrote:I just think this streaming stuff is going to implode sooner rather than later

It made sense at first as an alternative to cable

It was bad enough choosing between
Hulu/Netflix/Amazon or you can relatively afford all 3 but with everybody and their grandmother starting streaming services it's going to start getting pricey

People are going to slowly discover that the cable companies packaging channels actually was a cost savings to the consumer.

leave a comment with facebook