Saturday, January 19, 2019 • Evening Edition • "The comic book industry's inflamed butthole."

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

What Graphic Novel Are You Reading?

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy

Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:46 pm

GLX

Outhouse Editor

Postby GLX » Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:55 pm

Incidentals Vol. 2

Things have stepped up from the previous volume, but it's mainly....okay. There's brief flashes of something more, but it's executed in an average fashion.

Moon Knight: Legacy Vol. 1: Crazy Runs in the Family

I have a feeling that Marvel likes to run a bit loose with Moon Knight continuity. Nonetheless, I had a good time reading this. Art looks nice, and there was enough to keep me entertained. Nothing mind-blowing, but this will do.

The Wicked + The Divine Vol. 7: Mothering Invention

This series is in Morning Glories territory, but with better art. Something interesting stuff going on with the plot, but the series gets tangled up in its own cleverness at times. Still gonna check out the next volume, but with measured expectations.

RobThompson

Motherfucker from Hell

Postby RobThompson » Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:58 pm

RobThompson

Motherfucker from Hell

Postby RobThompson » Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:08 am

Elektra Lives Again.

This may well be my favorite graphic novel ever. I continuously find myself coming back to it. To me this was Miller and Varley at the absolute peak of their creative powers. Just enjoyable from start to finish. It never gets old to me.

Punchy

Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:40 pm

RobThompson

Motherfucker from Hell

Postby RobThompson » Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:41 pm

LiamA

cheese

Postby LiamA » Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:31 am

MikeinLA

cheese

Postby MikeinLA » Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:23 am

Was starting to become formulaic, the 'family' travels to a new world, there's a scene where something 'taboo' for comics is shown, the bad guys catch up with the group, someone dies , and life goes on. Art's still great though, and we get some major changes to the status quo at the end this time. Interested to see where the story goes next

Enjoyed it. Liked it's take of Dr. Psycho as Tom Cruise's character from 'Magnolia;. The book is an obvious lead in to a Volume Three.

S'alright. Nothing special now that the artist from the previous volume (Stjepan Sejic) is gone. The only remotely interesting new idea in the book is who it claims should be ruler of Atlantis once the current bad guy is overthrown.

GLX

Outhouse Editor

Postby GLX » Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:33 am

MikeinLA wrote:

S'alright. Nothing special now that the artist from the previous volume (Stjepan Sejic) is gone. The only remotely interesting new idea in the book is who it claims should be ruler of Atlantis once the current bad guy is overthrown.

Sejic was a revelation, but I still thought Federici brought something good to the artistic table. As far as the writing, I thought it was fun, but it could be better.

RobThompson

Motherfucker from Hell

Postby RobThompson » Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:25 pm

LiamA

cheese

Postby LiamA » Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:20 pm

Punchy

Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:55 pm

GLX

Outhouse Editor

Postby GLX » Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:26 pm

Read this over Thanksgiving weekend.

Short version: A mediocre look at comics during the 2000's.

Long version: Midnighter #8 by Christos Gage and John Paul Leon is the tale to read in this collection. Not mind blowing, but solid stuff with sharp art. Garth Ennis and Brian K Vaughan have some good ideas in their respective stories, but there's some issues with the execution. The Keith Giffen run that takes up a good chunk of the trade benefits heavily from Lee Garbett's work. The story arc before that? Could've been better.

GLX

Outhouse Editor

Postby GLX » Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:34 pm

Gonna try to breeze through this.

(catches breath)

The title story for this collection is an adaptation of the first Guardians of the Galaxy film. It gets the gist of the plot, and does an admirable job with the space allotted. Still, there's some charm missing in translation. The Giant Size Avengers story reprinted in here is an exercise in patience. The Guardians of the Galaxy #1 reprinted in here was too much too soon after the GSA story. So....that leaves Bendis two-parter from Guardians Team-Up. It's not a bad story, especially for those who want to see characters from the movie interact with the Avengers. Like a lot of Bendis' work during this era, the art is the highlight. Oddly enough, the colorist from the 2nd part of this story went on to be a part of some less than reputable stuff.

Overall, the front and the back are decent for what they are. Worth a flip through, if need be.

Punchy

Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Sun Dec 23, 2018 4:39 pm

leave a comment with facebook