Advertisement

Nice night for a change

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

GCom
Post Whore

Liked in: 0 post

Nice night for a change

Postby GCom » Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:59 pm

Today was a unheard of (except for just once) Delivery Day at my LCS, so I put in a long day. The door closes, the store is put to bed, and I think to myself "Huh." That's it, just "Huh."

That thought leads me to my old bar. Old friends, a fresh keg of Guiness (which means it was room-temp, and not this silly chilled American idea) which myself and an old friend initiated. Buckaroo Banzai (with the alternate opening) on the big-screen. A good time flew in and sat on my head.

Then I got in trouble. The band playing was a "throw-together" at the last minute and just sucked. Never combine reggae, heavy metal and jazz in a Irish pub.
It was that 4th Irish Carbomb that led me into saying "Shut the random fuck up!"
"Hey, fuck you! You think you can do better, then get yer ass up here!" was shouted at me by the guy sitting behind the drum set.
My friend Scott beside me says "Gary, don't..." as I start to take my shirt off.
"He wants to see me play, "I state as I thread my shirt over my head (a tougher job than it should have been at that moment), "Then ahmina play. I know I'm a little sloshed, but I'm way better than that assvoid."
"THEY ALL SUCK!" yells Art, who owns the bar, from beside me.
The bassist gets this utterly nasty look and flips off Art.
"Oh fuck this..." states Art as he heads for the back.
The drummer happily gives me the seat and a set of damn heavy sticks, which I immediately switch out for something that wasn't octagonal and weighed only half as much.

Lovely. It was a 5-piece set righty. I'm a lefty who used to play a 9. I actually got confused at the setup.

Art has pulled out his long 5-string from the office ("I'm not using that peice of crap he had..."), excuses the bassist from the spot, and plugs in while I arrange the kit. Friggin' hi-hat was way too blunt.

To make it short, myself, and three others from the crowd move in and take over. One was a professional musician who was just hanging out on a rare night off, one comic geek, one bar owner and one electrical engineer.

Alcohol and being shirtless behind a kit made me bold, so we led off with AC/DC. Thunderstruck. I stumbled for a short time, then found it and went. Art is an Angus fan, so it all worked (even with that heavy bass).

"Wouldn't it be Good" actually sounded good, 'cause four of us knew it, which was surprising as Hells. 80's musicians. That and it's an easy tune.

We fumbled through a couple of other tunes, and then got down. General consensus was that yes, we were better, but not by a lot. But that's okay, I had a lot of fun, flashed back about 15 years, and I know that if we'd had a keyboardist and coulda done "Nights in White Satin" I coulda gotten laid. Not that this would please my wife, but the idea of being appealing to strange women at that moment was nice.

I'm certain tomorrow I'll hear the truth of how much we sucked and made drunken fools of ourselves, but it is all fodder for smiles and stories. I left the bar after another drink and trip to the head, and came home.

I now submit this story for ridicule. That is all. :)

With Tolerance For A Nights Embarrassing But Smiling Memories...

GCom
Yeah, that was me. I did it. Now do somethin' and entertain me, or step away so others can.

Advertisement

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 1 post

Postby Starlord » Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:39 pm

I think that is such a totally great story! I am curious on why exactly you had the impulse to take your shirt off. However, I'm anything but a prude, and bare flesh always makes the night better in my opinion.

Good for you! No matter how it really sounded, you all had fun and nobody got beat up. That makes for a great night to me. :-)

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

Known Human
Indie Rock Jedi

Postby Known Human » Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:41 am

All that before I even got off work? I give thee props.

Zenguru
Staff Writer

Liked in: 8 posts

Postby Zenguru » Sat Jan 05, 2008 1:57 am

What, no "Back in Black"?

Daniel
Great Scott!!!

Postby Daniel » Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:02 am

We're not worthy! We're not worthy!
starlord wrote::shock: That's the first time paper has ever given me an erection!

nietoperz
The Goddamn Bat-min

Liked in: 201 posts
Title: Forum Manager

Postby nietoperz » Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:11 am

That's one of the best things I've ever heard! :D

Severed Djed
Bastard #1

Postby Severed Djed » Sat Jan 05, 2008 8:07 am

Great story.

You know, Keith Moon got his gig with The Who doing pretty much what you did.

DeadFett
Outhouse Editor

Title: Medicated and X-Rated
Formerly: FormerMember

Postby DeadFett » Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:19 am

Sounds like an awesome time GCom!

GCom
Post Whore

Postby GCom » Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:05 pm

A couple days alter, I got the scoop from some people who were there.

We sucked lightly less than the people we overran. But, we were known to the crowd, so were got polite cheers.

"Well, you raced the beat, and kept getting the hat confused with a crash. Other than that, you were almost okay." I was told, and I'm happy with that.

Yep, good fun. :)

With Tolerance For Chuckles In Later Years Done Now...

GCom
Yeah, that was me. I did it. Now do somethin' and entertain me, or step away so others can.

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The Asylum