Advertisement

Review Group Week 164 - FLASH: REBIRTH #1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

KING King Impulse
Teenage Wasteland

Liked in: 0 post
Title: The Prodigal Son
Formerly: King Impulse

Postby KING King Impulse » Sun Apr 05, 2009 1:07 pm

Amoebas wrote:And it's when Johns took him in Titans that I actually started liking him. I really couldn't stand his character before that.

Geoff Johns doesn't get him, so he turned him into something he can understand and work with. Same for the rest of his Titans.
THE ENTHUSIAST: The Internet's Premier Hate Free Zone!

| Website | Twitter | Facebook |

Advertisement

superfictious
Humuhumunukunukuapuaa

Liked in: 180 posts
Title: superfictious.wordpress.com

Postby superfictious » Sun Apr 05, 2009 1:55 pm

The speed force was cool when it was somewhat simple to understand. Basically when it was just "the closer you get to the speed of light the more connected you are to the speed force".

KING King Impulse
Teenage Wasteland

Postby KING King Impulse » Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:13 pm

I prefer the Speed Force as a Valhalla for Speedsters more than something that actually powers them, but that doesn't bother me. I loved seeing Max and Johnny argue over it in Waid's original run.

superfictious
Humuhumunukunukuapuaa

Liked in: 180 posts
Title: superfictious.wordpress.com

Postby superfictious » Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:17 pm

King Impulse wrote:I prefer the Speed Force as a Valhalla for Speedsters more than something that actually powers them, but that doesn't bother me. I loved seeing Max and Johnny argue over it in Waid's original run.

I didn't mind that interpretation either.

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 411 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:30 pm

I apologize for the very short review but having reread this book I think the story was incredibly weak and when the hell did Bart come back to life? Also for someone that wrote wally so well he made wally a pretty hateful guy who wanted his kids to sit down shut and stop being a morons. Also I don't give a shit about Barry Allen he's done nothing for me like Wally did in Johns run in the flash and Bart in Johns run in Teen Titans so really why should I care about Barry. The art was the saving grace of the book it looked good but not as good as GL rebirth.

doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

john lewis hawk
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 515 posts
Title: not here

Postby john lewis hawk » Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:53 pm

Punchy wrote:Why doesn't Superman use the speed force?

It's retarded, and another excuse for gay-ass 'mythology' like the different coloured rings.
I don't mind the Speed Force when it's kept to a minimum. It should be like using a drug; the more you use it, the closer you are to death.

As for the Rainbow Brite brigade, the problem with that is that Johns is writing the characters as one-dimensional as fuckin' possible.

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Liked in: 580 posts
Title: Amorphous Anomoly

Postby Amoebas » Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:45 am

guitarsmashley wrote:I apologize for the very short review but having reread this book I think the story was incredibly weak and when the hell did Bart come back to life?
A couple months ago in Legion of 3 Worlds #3 ("Boo").

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 96 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Postby Punchy » Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:05 am

I don't think we can blame Rebirth for the confusion over Bart's return, if Lo3W wasn't so late, Bart would have been back for a while now.

john lewis hawk
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 515 posts
Title: not here

Postby john lewis hawk » Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:29 am

Punchy wrote:I don't think we can blame Rebirth for the confusion over Bart's return, if Lo3W wasn't so late, Bart would have been back for a while now.
Plus, the LOSh sucks.

malcolm reynolds
Garbage Collector

Title: creep
Formerly: young neil

Postby malcolm reynolds » Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:19 pm

Ok well that was not what I was expecting I loved Green Lantern Rebirth. This, not so much. I always hear that there have been some amazing Flash stories over the year and every time a new writer has come on board lately I always give it a try and have so far not been impressed.

Flash Rebirth #1

I have to agree with fourthman that as far as superheroes go I always felt like the flash and the size changing characters always got the short end of the stick and to a certain degree characters like plastic man and Mr fantastic as well. I mean if a bullet is lucky enough to hit the flash, no two ways about it, there's a good chance he could die.

One thing that irked me about this issue was the, what, five flashes. Is it just me or is DC really trying to make a legacy out of their big players these days. There's like 4 green lanterns from Earth, there's 5 flashes, 7 or so Bat-related characters. The issue itself didn't really do much for me at all. It set up a general story and teased at what was to come, but to me a first issue should draw the reader in, and this fell short by a long way. It just felt like they had no stories left for the flash character, so the best they could come up with was "lets bring Barry back!".

The characterization felt off as mentioned above by others, the worst culprit is poor Wally West, and Bart. The art in this issue was really hit or miss, it felt like he spent way too much time on the panels where it looks like the character is just posing for the audience and then just phoned the rest of the issue in. The best part of the book was Hal and Barry and their conversation in the Flash museum.

This is the same team from Green Lantern Rebirth if I recall properly, I expected a lot more that what was the lackluster re-introduction of Barry Allen.

Overall 6.5

I got my Shipping notice from MOC today so I should have my muppets review by next week.

Liked in: 63 posts

Postby ****** » Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:37 am

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 96 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Postby Punchy » Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:44 am

Whoah, my review is really long there.

Who wrote the longest review ever?

GLX
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 103 posts
Title: Leader of The Society

Postby GLX » Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:46 am

Any chance of an off topic review thread?

john lewis wrote:Everyone but GLX has no taste.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 227 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:47 am

Punchy wrote:Whoah, my review is really long there.

Who wrote the longest review ever?

raises hand... Mysterious Suspense #1 was a really long review.
Pull list: Afterlife with Archie, Bodies, Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, Coffin Hill, Dead Boy Detectives, The Fade Out, The Goon, Harley Quinn, Hinterkind, Iron Fist: The Living Weapon,The Maxx Maximized, Miracleman, Ms. Marvel, Multiversity, Rasputin, Rocket Raccoon, Sandman: Overture, Silver Surfer, The Walking Dead

KING King Impulse
Teenage Wasteland

Postby KING King Impulse » Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:31 am

GLX wrote:Any chance of an off topic review thread?

We tried that, it ended up with just me, Amlah, Fourthy and Punchy posting.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand