Advertisement

Review Group Week 164 - FLASH: REBIRTH #1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

SuperginraiX
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 116 posts
Title: unpronounceable
Formerly: Sane

Postby SuperginraiX » Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:35 am

:?
I even bought this issue.

I'll be reviewing it WAY late because I still have no time. :(

Advertisement

GLX
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 103 posts
Title: Leader of The Society

Postby GLX » Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:17 am

King Impulse wrote:We tried that, it ended up with just me, Amlah, Fourthy and Punchy posting.

Wasn't that in part to NuRama's suckitude?

john lewis wrote:Everyone but GLX has no taste.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 227 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:28 am

GLX wrote:Wasn't that in part to NuRama's suckitude?

no... it died off before nurama... it really died when I just started posting links to my BF reviews after I started writing for them.
Pull list: Afterlife with Archie, Bodies, Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, Coffin Hill, Dead Boy Detectives, The Fade Out, The Goon, Harley Quinn, Hinterkind, Iron Fist: The Living Weapon,The Maxx Maximized, Miracleman, Ms. Marvel, Multiversity, Rasputin, Rocket Raccoon, Sandman: Overture, Silver Surfer, The Walking Dead

GLX
Outhouse Editor

Postby GLX » Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:54 pm

thefourthman wrote:no... it died off before nurama... it really died when I just started posting links to my BF reviews after I started writing for them.

True. True.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 95 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Postby Punchy » Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:54 pm

thefourthman wrote:no... it died off before nurama... it really died when I just started posting links to my BF reviews after I started writing for them.

Judas!

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:56 pm

Punchy wrote:Judas!

I wish I got thirty pieces of silver.

And what the fuck are you calling the pot black for? you spicy kettle you.
Pull list: Afterlife with Archie, Bodies, Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, Coffin Hill, Dead Boy Detectives, The Fade Out, The Goon, Harley Quinn, Hinterkind, Iron Fist: The Living Weapon,The Maxx Maximized, Miracleman, Ms. Marvel, Multiversity, Rasputin, Rocket Raccoon, Sandman: Overture, Silver Surfer, The Walking Dead

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 95 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Postby Punchy » Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:59 pm

thefourthman wrote:I wish I got thirty pieces of silver.

And what the fuck are you calling the pot black for? you spicy kettle you.

Most kettles aren't even black these days!

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:01 pm

Punchy wrote:Most kettles aren't even black these days!

don't try using your logic on me bitch. You know exactly what I was saying.

GLX
Outhouse Editor

Postby GLX » Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:02 pm

Punchy wrote:Most kettles aren't even black these days!

That's because kettle makers are racist. :x

MrBlack
WTF is this rank?

Liked in: 141 posts

Postby MrBlack » Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:49 pm

I just realized that I never posted a review of this comic. Blame the fact that I moved last week. Here are my thoughts from another thread.

MrBlack wrote:I came in with lowered expectations, but I thought the comic was excellent! While I do admit that the parent-murder retcon was unneeded, the moments with Wally and Bart were excellent (I especially like that Bart is unhappy that his grandfather came back rather than someone else), and I liked the nods to both Waid's and Johns' prior stories (Savitar? Really?), as well as Bart's brief time as the Flash. I think the angle that Johns is taking with Barry (doesn't think he deserved to come back, thinks his time on Earth is limited) is a good one, the story he is writing fits well with Final Crisis (Barry didn't really need to come back for that, and there is more to the story than was originally revealed), and I like that he's making room for the other Flashes.

I would still rather stick with Wally as the Flash, but this is probably the next best thing. More than met my expectations.

I'll add that I was pleasantly surprised by EVS's work on this book. His previous art for Flash was really hit or miss for me, although he has improved by leaps and bounds in the past several years. I still don't like some of his faces, but this was, by far, the best work he's ever done.

Story: 8
Art: 8
Overall: 8
https://www.facebook.com/robotswithcoffee

Chubbles
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 3 posts

Postby Chubbles » Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:56 am

Sorry for late review but just got around to reading it this morning. I don't know much about the history of the flashes so a lot of this issue went over my head but i still got the point of the issue. This is basically re-introducing an iconic character into the main DCU. It achieved that for the most part but overall as a stand alone issue it wasn't anything spectacular. I liked the Rebirth mini and the recahrge mini for the GL but I may have to pass on this Flash rebirth as it didn't pique my interest quite as much as it should have. The art however was very good so that was by far the best thing about this issue.

Story 5
Art 8
Overall 6.5

leave a comment with facebook

Previous

Return to The News Stand