Advertisement

Review Group Week 165 - WOLVERINE: WEAPON X #1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 0 post
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:54 pm

Punchy wrote:But the whole point is that we have to read what someone else chooses, to take us out of our comfort zone.

trust me She-Hulk will put anyone out of their comfort zone. It is unreadable.

Advertisement

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:58 pm

Hey Amlah, new short in the Mice Templar Sketch book, actually the sketch book is more like a new issue when all is said an done.

Postby ****** » Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:01 pm

Punchy wrote:But the whole point is that we have to read what someone else chooses, to take us out of our comfort zone.

That's why I like participating in the group and why I've reviewed 96 picks in a row, but different strokes and whatnot. If someone misses a week for whatever reason, they miss a week.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:02 pm

amlah6 wrote:That's why I like participating in the group and why I've reviewed 96 picks in a row, but different strokes and whatnot. If someone misses a week for whatever reason, they miss a week.

I actually like that he manned up and said fuck this shit, I'm reading this shit instead. Plus I am always down for more reviews of other books, especially ones I can't be bothered to read.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:03 pm

amlah6 wrote:That's why I like participating in the group and why I've reviewed 96 picks in a row, but different strokes and whatnot. If someone misses a week for whatever reason, they miss a week.

But it's not a good enough reason to not read it.

Postby ****** » Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:03 pm

thefourthman wrote:Hey Amlah, new short in the Mice Templar Sketch book, actually the sketch book is more like a new issue when all is said an done.

I forgot to look for it. :oops:

I'm sure everything that was in it will be in the next HC so I'll see it eventually.

Postby ****** » Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:13 pm

Punchy wrote:But it's not a good enough reason to not read it.

So you're going to make him buy/read it even though he doesn't want to? How's that going to work?

I agree that not reading someone's pick because of a bias against a character goes against the spirit of the group, but this isn't the first time someone's done it and I'm sure it won't be the last either. As long as it's not a weekly occurrence, no bigs.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:16 pm

amlah6 wrote:So you're going to make him buy/read it even though he doesn't want to? How's that going to work?

I agree that not reading someone's pick because of a bias against a character goes against the spirit of the group, but this isn't the first time someone's done it and I'm sure it won't be the last either. As long as it's not a weekly occurrence, no bigs.

You've gone soft!

Postby ****** » Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:25 pm

thefourthman wrote:I don't know if I will talk about this in my review or not, but this issue bugs me. They take a top tier talent by Jason Aaron and put him on a Wolverine book, except they make a new one that is clearly designed to cash in on the movie hype. Meaning that we have a total of four ongoing wolverine books currently. This one is obviously written for the trade and has almost no reason for existing. I love Aaron and am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt, but if this is decompressed then should we not maybe get a double sized issue that develops the story a little, instead of getting the Origins treatment again where we get one tiny development an issue. This one doesn't even have a prolonged fight scene or anything.

Kind of like what I said in the intro, I think they're just pulling an Invincible Iron Man here. Let Old Man Logan and Dark Wolverine play themselves out in the existing title and then cancel the current series and let Weapon X take over as the main ongoing after the DVD release of the movie.

Between the glut that the company puts out any how and then the fact that they are more expensive and offer little in way of compensation - file pages really, really, if I wanted that I would buy your silly ass index and hand books and atlas shit.

Marvel Handbooks are the shit. Check out the Essentials sometime. That being said, tossing that shit in the back of an issue and calling it "Director's Cut" content is insulting. The Ghost Rider preview was nice, but I can get that online for free and retailers get fucked because they have to pay higher shipping rates. Marvel could have avoided a lot of backlash if they had just done the sensible thing and done a year or two at $3.50 instead of jumping straight to $4.

I wish comic book companies (especially the big two) would stop thinking for short term. Brian Hibbs talked about sales dilution in like his third Tilting Windmills and sited an article from ten years before that and here we are twenty years down the road and they still don't get it. They put out more and more books, or do silly things like make Amazing Spider-Man come out three times a month, but put all the avengers books out on the same day and all the x books on the same day to capitalize on the customer being in that day. You have to wonder how well one single issue comic monthly would sell verse its twenty competitors about the same character set. And when the economy tanks, instead of pulling back, they put out more but charge more. What the fuck are they thinking? DC is the same way, all the Kingdom come one shots and then six months later a fucking mini-series? How about not letting the crappy current arc come out, how about making the mini a fill in book in case Johns dies in a horrible accident or gets sick or just a freaking drawer story so that books can come out on time when teams get behind....

Okay rant over.

I'm down to reading 12 ongoing series in single issues, I'll probably be down to 8 by the end of the summer.

Postby ****** » Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:30 pm

And speaking of the movie, anyone else seen it yet?

I've watched it up until the point where Gambit comes in and then I paused it out of boredom and that was a week ago and I still haven't gone back to finish it.

The janky unfinished special effects are actually the most fun part of the movie... and who/why the fuck is Will.I.Am in the movie? Awful, just awful.

Alex Delarge
Post Whore

Postby Alex Delarge » Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:34 pm

Hey Punchy,

Somethings I want to try and buy and maybe in the future I will do more of that.

I missed out on The Muppet Show and I apologized about that. My wife and I are trying to buy a house, so I am having this tug and pull when it comes to certain expenditures.

I don't have the beta ray bill issue on my pull list, but I'd be willing to add it for the group and in most cases I won't have a problem with adding something new to review.

The thing is that right now I am so fucking fed up with Wolverine and this bullshit that I cannot bring myself to encourage the behavior.

Sorry, oh and if you pick Fantastic Force #1 for your week, I'll be there with bells on!

MrBlack
WTF is this rank?

Postby MrBlack » Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:50 pm

Just posted my review for Flash: Rebirth #1 on the other thread. I'll try to do a review of this one soon, but I just moved this weekend and I don't have internet yet. The Verizon guy is supposed to be out tomorrow, but who knows if that will happen.

Alex Delarge
Post Whore

Postby Alex Delarge » Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:03 pm

thefourthman wrote:trust me She-Hulk will put anyone out of their comfort zone. It is unreadable.

I don't know. I think the art is pretty good and it's van lente! I think you will be surprised by a positive review of it.

doombug
Staff Writer

Postby doombug » Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:09 pm

amlah6 wrote:So you're going to make him buy/read it even though he doesn't want to? How's that going to work?

But the problem is he said he's not going to read the book, he can skip a week. Don't writ a review for something else, just skip the week and you wont be penalized for it.

Alex Delarge
Post Whore

Postby Alex Delarge » Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:46 pm

doombug wrote:But the problem is he said he's not going to read the book, he can skip a week. Don't writ a review for something else, just skip the week and you wont be penalized for it.

But, I still want to contribute. So, I will.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand