Advertisement

4/8/09 -- Chappy's Blue Plate Specials -- le spoils!!

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

misac
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 2 posts

Advertisement

fieldy snuts
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 15 posts
Title: Burrr
Formerly: Sweet James Jones

Postby fieldy snuts » Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:24 pm

i agree with chap wholeheartedly about battle for the cowl. too much is going on and im expecting a half-assed resolution in #3. stuff is just happening but there's no real "epic event" feel to it despite all the hype battle for the cowl is getting.

just seems rushed, too crammed and im getting the feeling that it'll be nothing more than a setup to another storyline after 3 issues of black mask blowing shit up and jason todd running around as nightwing.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 3 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:19 pm

Vampires having to be invited into your home is a staple of the lore, this is just that on a larger scale.

'Let the right one in'

chap22
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 16 posts
Title: Pretentious curmudgeon

Postby chap22 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:22 pm

Punchy wrote:Vampires having to be invited into your home is a staple of the lore, this is just that on a larger scale.

'Let the right one in'

yeah, i know that. but if they have to be "invited" into England itself just to cross the borders, who the fuck invited all the bloodsuckers who have been showing up the last 3 issues?

i'd be happy with any explanation, i'm just wondering if i missed it somewhere in the arc so far.
rdrsfn82 wrote:Chap is right.

john lewis wrote:I got nothing but respect for [Chap]

jsalwen wrote:You're the man, Chap.

DMM wrote:Chap knows what he's talking about.

MoneyMelon wrote:chap is right about pretty much everything

GOSD wrote:chap FTW!

Ntikrst wrote:Chap's right

oogy wrote:All those quotes in your sig ain't lying.

L Independant
25 To Life

Liked in: 0 post

Postby L Independant » Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:54 pm

Vic Mackey wrote:i agree with chap wholeheartedly about battle for the cowl. too much is going on and im expecting a half-assed resolution in #3. stuff is just happening but there's no real "epic event" feel to it despite all the hype battle for the cowl is getting.

just seems rushed, too crammed and im getting the feeling that it'll be nothing more than a setup to another storyline after 3 issues of black mask blowing shit up and jason todd running around as nightwing.
Wasn't Winick saying he plotted this and they took the first part and made it Battle of the Cowl and the rest is going to be in his Batman run? Imagine if they'd let him have the whole thing!

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Postby Starlord » Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:19 pm

only read Battle of the Cowl so far, can't wait to read the other two, but I wasn't as disappointed with this as everyone else seems to be. No, it wasn't great, and I do agree with you that it seems like there's a lot going on. But compared to what we've had to read in the whole death of Batman, this is like a picnic in the park.

And the art, inks and colors are some of the best I've seen in a while. If I had chosen this this week as a review, I'd of probably given it a strong B.

rdrsfn82
Wrasslin' Fan

Postby rdrsfn82 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:26 pm

I haven't finished all my books, but I wanted to jump online to say that Ragdoll's dream sequence, with Tiny Titans-esque art, will definitely be my moment of the week.

Also, Irredeemable was excellent. I picked it up and was totally impressed and can't wait to see it play out. That shit with the Batman guy and the sidekick were just unreal. Great stuff.

Now to read my Marvel books and make dinner. I'll be back later with my thoughts on the remaining books, including the great intro of Agent Orange in GL.

L Independant
25 To Life

Postby L Independant » Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:16 pm

I agree with Chap about Battle for the Cowl. In the end it's Dick as Batman, but couldn't it have been readable?

The art is good.

Zechs
Staff Writer

Liked in: 10 posts
Title: Deposted Despot
Formerly: Blight, Deacon Frost, Heinrich Himmler of S_D

Postby Zechs » Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:27 pm

So far this whole event been a huge bust. The only good thing was the Gazette issues. I wonder if the Network will be the next actual good story to come from this. I doubt it given an editoral mandate happens in that issue.

sdsichero wrote:
I especially like and admire Zechs. He's everything I wish I could be!

Dragavon wrote:Zechs... is...

Zechs...is...

I can't say it. It's too horrible. Zechs...is...not...wrong...

rdrsfn82
Wrasslin' Fan

Postby rdrsfn82 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:10 am

Alright, great week. I didn't get a ton of books, but I really enjoyed everything.

War of Kings Ascension was something I almost didn't get. I really didn't enjoy the Darkhawk mini, but since DnA wrote it I picked it up and hoped it would be better. And it was. I felt like the whole mini could have been done in like 10 pages in this book and been better. Loved the interactions, the possible ID of Talon, the way it ties together, and the twist ending. This seems like a really interesting set up.

Wolverine Weapon X was another book I almost didn't grab, but decided to based on the writer and the short week of comics. Great issue and a nice set up for a story. Sure it's something we've seen a million times, but Aaron writes bad ass motherfuckers better than just about anyone in the industry right now. Exciting action, an interesting mystery, and a badass and entertaining Wolverine. I was very happy I picked this up. Also, the art was phenomenal.

The last book I picked up that I was iffy on is Daredevil Noir. I'm not really familiar with this creative team at all, but I loved the Spidey Noir series, I want this line to succeed, I love good noir stories, and Daredevil is such a natural fit for this type of story. And this was a great start. Not nearly as flashy as Spidey's first issue, this was more of a slow burn. Great set up, most of the story is flashback and, fun ways of showing the differences between the regular DD and this version based on the time it takes place in. Not spectacular, but a very entertaining and promising start.

My last Marvel book was Captain Britain, and I am very entertained by this book. I was iffy on the first issue of this arc, after all the good word on here I didn't feel it lived up to the hype, but it's gotten better and better with each issue since. The usage of Dracula, his plan, Blade's reaction, the amazingly depraved shit on the moon, and the overall feel is just great. I am really loving this now and if this arc ends as good as it's been for the last couple issues, I will definitely keep reading for the long run and pick up the trades of the first few issues.

Just a couple of DC books, and my shop got shorted on Trinity so I didn't get to read that yet.

Secret Six continues to be one of the best books on the stands month in and month out. Great issue and tons of fun. It's dark and twisted fun I wouldn't want most kids reading, but it's tons of fun. It's like the animated Brave and the Bold by way of 80's R rated action movies like Die Hard.

Booster Gold spends some quality time with himself, Rip Hunter makes sure Starfire escapes to Earth, Michelle runs away into the time stream, there's a new black board, and Booster and Rip share some quality time together. Great little wrap up issue, and the cover for next month promises much fun. Another fun book.

Last up is Green Lantern, and I just loved it. Great issue. The Orange Corps is fucked up and similar to what we were saying months ago. Bad shit is going down. The Blue guys are painted in an interesting light. The Indigo folks are mentioned. The Guardians are being dicks. Oh and Scar decides to do something that will cause a huge conflict. I love the GL concept and it's never been better than it has been over the last few years. Johns and Tomasi are doing amazing work, and the artists from Reis to EVS to Tan on this issue are just knocking it out of the part month in and month out while creating so many new characters. Everyone should be reading these books now.

HNutz
Fagorstorm

Liked in: 20 posts

Postby HNutz » Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:43 am

chap22 wrote:yeah, i know that. but if they have to be "invited" into England itself just to cross the borders, who the fuck invited all the bloodsuckers who have been showing up the last 3 issues?

i'd be happy with any explanation, i'm just wondering if i missed it somewhere in the arc so far.

Yeah, there was a mention of "using Marlowe", who was a plant in the Cabinent or something. They got him to "invite" them in, IIRC.

chap22
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby chap22 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:11 am

HNutz wrote:Yeah, there was a mention of "using Marlowe", who was a plant in the Cabinent or something. They got him to "invite" them in, IIRC.

ah. i did miss that. gracias.

Shady
cheese

Postby Shady » Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:16 am

I click the link but there are no reviews?

chap22
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby chap22 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:47 am

Shady wrote:I click the link but there are no reviews?

yeah, WTF is that? i can't read GLX's side dishes either... :? :x

habitual
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 18 posts
Title: Habinger of Doom!

Postby habitual » Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:04 pm

chap22 wrote:yeah, WTF is that? i can't read GLX's side dishes either... :? :x

/Carrie'd

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The News Stand