Advertisement

Review Group Week 165 - WOLVERINE: WEAPON X #1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

SuperginraiX
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 103 posts
Title: unpronounceable
Formerly: Sane

Official SuperginraiX Review

Postby SuperginraiX » Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:02 am

I'm not anti-Wolverine. I think he's incredibly over-exposed but, at the same exact time, I love seeing him hanging out with the New Avengers. I just think it's funny that he's also hanging out not only with the X-Men but with X-Force and in three or four solo titles in any given month. The guy has way too many full time jobs and I hope he finally saves up the money for that operation he wants.

I do have tendencies to not really enjoy the character but not in the same way that I hate Punisher. I frickin' hate the Punisher. I actually sort of like Logan. Sort of. He'll never be on my favorite comic characters list but, when he's not acting as a writer's whatever-you-call-a-Mary-Sue-if-you-haven't-actually-created-the-character, he's not a terrible character. I just started reading comics in the nineties where everyone had their own comic with some version of Wolverine on the team so he was even more overexposed than you can imagine nowadays.

I think that's mostly my problem here. The villains are all glowy green clawed copies of Wolverine. Hello nineties. You look very familiar.

The fact that it's movie related doesn't really bother me. Milk that market. If someone gets excited about the movie and wants some Wolverine comics, let's give 'em some Wolverine comics. We all know that in a comic that's basically milking off the movie you're going to get in elements of that movie, so in Weapon X we're gonna see that adamantium chamber and probably some other movie characters looking awfully like their movie counterparts. Is Maverick in the movie? If he is, he's probably similarly dressed. If not, I still give kudos for using the character. He's an old favorite. I even have every issue from his nineties series.

Logan's got way too many costumes. He's getting more like a Barbie doll with every team he joins and needs new threads for. I see his brown and orange suit just got snatched up by his son in Dark Avengers, so he's down to two suits but I'm still waiting for a New Avengers costume (still, two suits for a super-hero is still more than you usually see and he just stopped wearing the brown and orange recently). The suit he wears in this issue (which is his X-Force suit, right?) is probably my new favorite. It's traditional in style but the color scheme is a lot less cheesy than the yellow you usually see him running around in. Very appropriate suit for a movie look book.

Ron Garney's art hasn't looked this good in quite a while. I find him hit and miss since his Captain America days but I still enjoy his art more than I don't. This issue is really good in the art department.

The writing... doesn't fare so well. Like I said, it's the attack of the nineties Wolverine wannabe's. It's not like Marvel doesn't alreay have enough Wolverine clones running around. We don't really need more. The subway scene is great stuff and any Maverick appearance is welcome. Still, it's hard to justify 3.99 for this. I get enough comics where it's hard to justify 3.99, I don't need another! :P

For now, Wolverine: Weapon X is a just above average book and that's bouyed up mostly because I like good art.

W:WX, you get a 6. I just can't get excited about green glowy clawed Wolverine wannabe's.

Advertisement

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 89 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:11 am

Maverick is indeed in the Wolverine movie, but as 'Agent Zero' like he was in the Tieri Weapon X series.

Probably only a minor part, and the actor is Korean.

KING King Impulse
Teenage Wasteland

Liked in: 0 post
Title: The Prodigal Son
Formerly: King Impulse

Postby KING King Impulse » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:34 am

THE ENTHUSIAST: The Internet's Premier Hate Free Zone!

| Website | Twitter | Facebook |

Liked in: 61 posts

Postby ****** » Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:43 pm

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 409 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:49 pm

My review will be up sometime soon,
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 409 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:23 pm

That issue was ok. I'm kind of glad I never ordered it in my box of comics. Art was great but the story lacked.

doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

malcolm reynolds
Garbage Collector

Liked in: 0 post
Title: creep
Formerly: young neil

Postby malcolm reynolds » Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:30 am

Wolverine: weapon x #1

I've always found myself reading Wolverine on and off depending on the creative team, as I love the character but can't stand it when it's badly written. I know its overly-stereotypical to love Wolverine but eh, sue me. So I was really excited when one of my favourite writers was coming into a comic that focused on one of my favourite characters. Now this is an obvious movie tie-in and and a motion to make more cash out of it, but if it's written well and keeps me coming back, I'm all for it.

So this week's review group pick was the first issue, a brand spanking new #1. The story arc is titled "the adamantium men" and to paraphrase, someone has gotten the weapon x plans and is making new versions of Wolverine. The writing is spot-on, right down to Wolverine getting drunk and passing out on the subway. As I heard mentioned before Wolverine has always been a hero in spite of himself, and never sees himself as one. The dialogue between Maverick and Wolverine was very strong, and makes me want to read more up on the character, what there's a bio in the back of this very comic, terrific. I must say that was the first time I've actually taken much time to read the backmatter in a mainstream marvel book.

That's another thing with a book titled 'weapon x', you have a multitude of characters at your disposal, in theory, using characters already established to create new and interesting storylines. It seems difficult but the first issue left me with high hopes.

Just a quick question. That was Garney on art? This is the best I've seen him in ages. Suited the book one hundred percent. I also loved the Kubert variant cover.

Wolverine is either a hit-or-miss comic depending on the writer to me, and I'm glad they've created a new series where solid stories can be told without Dark Reign gettting in its way.

I'm glad I added this to my MOC order, I was a little apprehensive at first but this has me willing to stick out the first arc at least.

Story 7.5
Art 7

Overall 7.25

See ya next week, for an amazing pick from fourthman :-D

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 179 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:16 am

so lookie what I have... words to go with that 5.5 http://www.brokenfrontier.com/reviews/d ... hp?id=2195

GLX
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 98 posts
Title: Leader of The Society

Postby GLX » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:11 am

Pretty cool stuff. The art was nice and Aaron is still a beast with the words.

NOTE: Read this issue via trade paperback.

8* out of 10*

john lewis wrote:Everyone but GLX has no taste.

Liked in: 61 posts

Postby ****** » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:19 am

Noted.

leave a comment with facebook

Previous

Return to The News Stand