Advertisement

Review Group Week 166 - STRANGE ADVENTURES OF LOVECRAFT #1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Liked in: 61 posts

Postby ****** » Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:04 pm

King Impulse wrote:I enjoyed it for what it was, but it was nothing on his former glory. Did you read Tom Peyer's arc, that was really fun, it had shades of both Waid and Johns but stayed its own thing. I'm really unhappy with the state of The Flash franchise at the moment, I can't explain eloquently enough how much that comic and those characters mean to me, so to see Flash: Rebirth being the direction of the franchise fills me with doubt. I was gonna write a review for it, but it turned out just being a bullet point list of everything wrong with the comic.

I dropped it when Waid left so I completely missed the Peyer stuff.

I'm not sure what to think about Rebirth. On one hand I think it's being dismissed/judged before it's had a chance to play itself out, but on the other it's probably going to fuck up Wally worse than when they removed him from the DCU in Infinite Crisis.

Advertisement

Postby ****** » Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:06 pm

thefourthman wrote:the other problem with that pick is that it will be the you, me and Amlah show. No one else will be able to find it.

I'm waiting for the trade so I haven't ordered it, but I'm pretty sure all the shops here get it.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 46 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:06 pm

amlah6 wrote:I dropped it when Waid left so I completely missed the Peyer stuff.

I'm not sure what to think about Rebirth. On one hand I think it's being dismissed/judged before it's had a chance to play itself out, but on the other it's probably going to fuck up Wally worse than when they removed him from the DCU in Infinite Crisis.

and that is different from every other comic on the market how?

Flash: Rebirth is mostly just boring, that is my problem with it.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:07 pm

amlah6 wrote:I'm waiting for the trade so I haven't ordered it, but I'm pretty sure all the shops here get it.

they all figured you were going to buy it... it doesn't sell at all off the shelf (for us), so I think it is weird that shops carry it over other things.

KING King Impulse
Teenage Wasteland

Liked in: 0 post
Title: The Prodigal Son
Formerly: King Impulse

Postby KING King Impulse » Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:11 pm

amlah6 wrote:I dropped it when Waid left so I completely missed the Peyer stuff.

Peyer was well on his way to the start of a great, long run but he was kicked off, the arc following was abysmal and now Wally isn't the main Flash anymore.

I'll never drop it because it's my favourite franchise but I was really disappointed with Rebirth #1
THE ENTHUSIAST: The Internet's Premier Hate Free Zone!

| Website | Twitter | Facebook |

KING King Impulse
Teenage Wasteland

Postby KING King Impulse » Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:14 pm

thefourthman wrote:and that is different from every other comic on the market how?

I'm an uber-Flash geek, so it really pisses me off because it's full of continuity mistakes, including several things that contradict Johns previous (EXCELLENT) run. Plus, Barry Allen is too damn serious to be The Flash in my opinion.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:15 pm

King Impulse wrote:I'm an uber-Flash geek, so it really pisses me off because it's full of continuity mistakes, including several things that contradict Johns previous (EXCELLENT) run. Plus, Barry Allen is too damn serious to be The Flash in my opinion.

it is Rebirth, just like with GL, it is Retcon-centric, that is the name of the game.

KING King Impulse
Teenage Wasteland

Postby KING King Impulse » Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:19 pm

thefourthman wrote:it is Rebirth, just like with GL, it is Retcon-centric, that is the name of the game.

and we all know how I felt about that Rebirth (HINT: Hated it)

Postby ****** » Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:20 pm

thefourthman wrote:they all figured you were going to buy it... it doesn't sell at all off the shelf (for us), so I think it is weird that shops carry it over other things.

:smt102

Maybe geeks in Oklahoma have better taste in music than in North Carolina so interest in the series here is higher.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:21 pm

King Impulse wrote:and we all know how I felt about that Rebirth (HINT: Hated it)

I liked it, for the same reason that I should like this one, it is a great entry point. Flash Rebirth had some of that going for it, but I think I knew more about the mythos going into it.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:22 pm

amlah6 wrote::smt102

Maybe geeks in Oklahoma have better taste in music than in North Carolina so interest in the series here is higher.

maybe...
although I was just told that Star Trek is what got the comic Industry going... so I think it is definitely a possibility now.

Postby ****** » Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:22 pm

thefourthman wrote:and that is different from every other comic on the market how?

Silver Age characters are boring naturally, the guy wears a bow tie for fucks sake, what did you expect? :P

Postby ****** » Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:25 pm

King Impulse wrote:Peyer was well on his way to the start of a great, long run but he was kicked off, the arc following was abysmal and now Wally isn't the main Flash anymore.

I'll never drop it because it's my favourite franchise but I was really disappointed with Rebirth #1

Avengers is my favorite team/franchise/whatever and I've dropped it at least 4 times including right now. Those not so good times in a series read a lot better when you're reading them later out of the bargain bins. :wink:

KING King Impulse
Teenage Wasteland

Postby KING King Impulse » Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:27 pm

amlah6 wrote:Silver Age characters are boring naturally, the guy wears a bow tie for fucks sake, what did you expect? :P

What I don't get is that the Silver Age was full of crazy shit going on like Nazi gorillas riding dinosaurs that wear monocles but the lead characters were boring as fuck.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:29 pm

King Impulse wrote:What I don't get is that the Silver Age was full of crazy shit going on like Nazi gorillas riding dinosaurs that wear monocles but the lead characters were boring as fuck.

making up for the short comings of the characters.

Probably a statement on the ordinary person being able to do extraordinary things.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand