Advertisement

Review Group Week 166 - STRANGE ADVENTURES OF LOVECRAFT #1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Liked in: 61 posts

Postby ****** » Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:54 am

Punchy wrote:Haven't got my books yet, probably tomorrow morning.

I think for next week I'll pick Ghost Rider, because it's awesome and you all should read it,

[center]Image
Ghost Rider #34
as selected by Punchy[/center]
WRITER: JASON AARON
PENCILS: TONY MOORE

THE STORY:
"TRIALS AND TRIBULATIONS," PART 2
Among the truckers who work the loneliest stretches of highways at night, there is a legend. The legend of the Highwayman, the hellbilly terror of the hammer lane, a former trucker who was cursed by the devil and now drives a mystical black rig, preying on the souls of anyone foolish enough to drive his highways come nightfall. This issue, that happens to be Danny Ketch, a man who knows a thing or two when it comes to curses.
Last edited by ****** on Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Advertisement

GLX
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 75 posts
Title: Leader of The Society

Postby GLX » Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:55 am

YES!

john lewis wrote:Everyone but GLX has no taste.

Daringd
Review Grouper

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Daringd » Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:34 pm

My main store didn't have it I'll go to the othe rplace in town they might have it so. Hopefully I'll have a review for this some time this weekend. It looked good

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 133 posts

Postby doombug » Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:08 pm

So we've had 1 review of the book so far? What kind of shit is this? :P

Postby ****** » Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:10 pm

doombug wrote:So we've had 1 review of the book so far? What kind of shit is this? :P

4thy's trying to sabotage the group. :x :x :x

doombug
Staff Writer

Postby doombug » Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:18 pm

amlah6 wrote:4thy's trying to sabotage the group. :x :x :x

Don't worry, I'll post a review tonight or tomorrow after reading the book.

48THRiLLS
Review Grouper

Title: Outhouse resident punk rocker
Formerly: cool

Postby 48THRiLLS » Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:16 pm

Loved this. My only major complaint was the 5 dollar price tag... This was definitely a set up issue with tons of character development and a great last page which will end up costing me 15 more dollars. It isn't anything you don't see coming but it was still done very well and definitely sold me on the 4 issue mini. I sorta agree with the sole other reviewer regarding the art, though I may like it a little more...but it definitely suits this book especially the dream sequence. Reminds me of Riley Rosmo from Proof, I prefer a little less stylized and cleaner artwork but this didn't put me off.

STORY - 10

ART - 8

OVERALL - 9

...6 pages, 2 reviews??? C'mon peoples!

Postby ****** » Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:27 pm

48THRiLLS wrote:...6 pages, 2 reviews??? C'mon peoples!

If you increase your posts per page to 50, the ratio is nearly as depressing. :wink:

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 70 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:06 pm

So... um ... that was interesting, I will have to read it again to score... it was a might bit confusing and way too much like reading Fitzgerald for my taste. the art is a very mixed bag. I will sleep on it, read it again and score tomorrow.

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 1 post

Postby Starlord » Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:18 pm

Well, I have to say that this was the most interesting book I've read in ages. It's extremely different and I was excited to read this. The art was fantastic and the story was intriguing. It was a little denser than I normally enjoy, but the characterization was wonderful. I will probably end up getting the rest of this series and I'm very glad I read this!

Story: 8
Art: 8
My score: 8

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

doombug
Staff Writer

Postby doombug » Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:52 pm

Now that, ladies and gentleman is what I am talking about. A fun mystery using one of literatures coolest horror writers mixing in elements from his stories is definitely not a new idea, but it's fun here. We follow HP Lovecraft as he seems to have no luck in love or his career over all. He also has these weird dreams that turn out to be premonitions in a way. And things take a turn for the very weird, like they are supposed to.

The art is unique as well and very fitting for the story and the era it takes place in. It will be interesting to see just where things go from here next month.

Verdict: 9!
Last edited by doombug on Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:59 pm

48THRiLLS wrote:Loved this. My only major complaint was the 5 dollar price tag... This was definitely a set up issue with tons of character development and a great last page which will end up costing me 15 more dollars. It isn't anything you don't see coming but it was still done very well and definitely sold me on the 4 issue mini. I sorta agree with the sole other reviewer regarding the art, though I may like it a little more...but it definitely suits this book especially the dream sequence. Reminds me of Riley Rosmo from Proof, I prefer a little less stylized and cleaner artwork but this didn't put me off.

STORY - 10

ART - 8

OVERALL - 9

...6 pages, 2 reviews??? C'mon peoples!

Riley is highly stylized, but consistent... this guy is all over the place in designs, layouts and details. It was interesting to me that he made his backgrounds detailed and the people not so much, makes you wonder which was more important. The art fits the book, but is by no means great, there are vast internal inconsistencies and points it just looks lazy, lines just disappearing into the air. I get that it is supposed to be dreamy looking and I like his kinetic energy, none of the panels are static, but it is not refined by any means.

Riley draws a sketchy line, but he does it the same way every time, this guy is trying to pull off the same effect but is nowhere near as talented.

The art is the biggest problem I am have writing the review. I know I don't know enough Lovecraft to catch all the references, but the art is perfect in some ways and horrible in others.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:37 pm

I posted a link in the group page for Ultimate Comics: http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?topic ... 2350553724

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 74 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Sat Apr 18, 2009 3:11 pm

Got a copy today, will read and review it tomorrow.

48THRiLLS
Review Grouper

Title: Outhouse resident punk rocker
Formerly: cool

Postby 48THRiLLS » Sat Apr 18, 2009 3:43 pm

thefourthman wrote:Riley is highly stylized, but consistent... this guy is all over the place in designs, layouts and details. It was interesting to me that he made his backgrounds detailed and the people not so much, makes you wonder which was more important. The art fits the book, but is by no means great, there are vast internal inconsistencies and points it just looks lazy, lines just disappearing into the air. I get that it is supposed to be dreamy looking and I like his kinetic energy, none of the panels are static, but it is not refined by any means.

Riley draws a sketchy line, but he does it the same way every time, this guy is trying to pull off the same effect but is nowhere near as talented.

The art is the biggest problem I am have writing the review. I know I don't know enough Lovecraft to catch all the references, but the art is perfect in some ways and horrible in others.

I can agree with that... after a 3rd read, I decided that I may have scored the art a little high but I think since I really enjoyed the story it upped the art score a bit.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand