Advertisement

Review Group Week 167 - GHOST RIDER #34

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

SuperginraiX
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 103 posts
Title: unpronounceable
Formerly: Sane

Re: Review Group Week 167 - GHOST RIDER #34

Postby SuperginraiX » Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:10 pm

King Impulse wrote:It's a comic based around the idea that music IS magic. Ever hear a song that makes you pine for a lost love, or brings back awesome memories of times with friends? That and so much more. The world of Phonogram is inhabited with 'Phonomancers' who are like music magicians, using and manipulating music to their own ends, it sounds kinda fantasy-ish when I describe it but it's really down to Earth.

A lot of people described the first volume as Hellblazer-meets-High Fidelity, which I think is pretty apt. The second volume is a bit different, each issue is standalone (which is perfect for the review group) and follows a different person on the same night in the same club, with each issue based around a different song.

If you love music, definitely check it out.

Well, if my shop has it, I will totally get it.

But they won't. My shop is very main stream in today's economy.

Advertisement

KING King Impulse
Teenage Wasteland

Liked in: 0 post
Title: The Prodigal Son
Formerly: King Impulse

Postby KING King Impulse » Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:35 pm

SuperginraiX wrote:Well, if my shop has it, I will totally get it.

But they won't. My shop is very main stream in today's economy.

Does your shop carry Casanova when it comes out? Did it have Viking today? If not, I can guarantee they won't have Phonogram. Look for the trade of the first series though, I read it like once every two months I like it that much
THE ENTHUSIAST: The Internet's Premier Hate Free Zone!

| Website | Twitter | Facebook |

Liked in: 61 posts

Postby ****** » Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:36 pm

guitarsmashley wrote:So I just got back from the shop and lunch and picked up this issue. This was a big mistake because I left the shop before reading it. Now I want Aaron's entire ghost rider run. I have never read a Ghost Rider comic in my life. I love Scalped and I love anything by Tony Moore. I loved this issue. Sure the art didn't quite seem to fit my prejudice of GR but I love Moore so I let it go. The story was a great 1 off and I loved the highwayman. Can you tell I loved this issue....With that I hand out a very rare score for me to give.

So. Many. Words. :shock:

Postby ****** » Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:38 pm

Sire v 2.0 wrote:ghost rider is on my pull list and money is tight right now, so I wont be double dipping.

Just review this issue after you get your box. It's not hard! :P

KING King Impulse
Teenage Wasteland

Postby KING King Impulse » Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:52 pm

48THRiLLS wrote:Sounds cool, just got back from my shop and asked her to order it for me and she said she had #1 in stock still so I picked that up also.

Awesome. Let me know once you've read it, I'm really interested in what you make of it.

48THRiLLS
Review Grouper

Title: Outhouse resident punk rocker
Formerly: cool

Postby 48THRiLLS » Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:49 pm

GHOST RIDER #34

Well hell, that was pretty kick-ass. I was not expecting to like this much, the last Ghost Rider book I bought was a WWH tie-in and a piece of crap. This was fun as hell, I am not sure how it got here but this issue was great. Reminded me of the movie Dual (but with hell, fire, blood, and guts), they never show the truckers face in the movie but I bet he looked like this bastard. Not only did I have a recap page (why do the DC books we review not have these?) I didn't need it, no prior knowledge needed to enjoy this one... oh yeah Tony Moore is just sick, the transformation of Ketch to Ghost Rider is pretty fantastic and the Black Rig is awesome. Mr. Aaron made me enjoy a character I couldn't care less about
...sorry I doubted your pick punch, this was good stuff.

STORY - 9
ART - 9
OVERALL - 9

48THRiLLS
Review Grouper

Title: Outhouse resident punk rocker
Formerly: cool

Postby 48THRiLLS » Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:54 pm

amlah6 wrote:
Since I've only read the first trade and the issue we read for the Review Group, I've missed out on quite a few issues of this so in some respects I should have felt a little lost, but I didn't. The solicit calls this issue a "Part 2", but it's really a stand alone story. No knowledge of current Ghost Rider continuity is needed to enjoy this and better yet I don't feel like the issues I'm waiting to read in trades have been spoiled.

Agreed 100%

amlah6 wrote:It's also cool that Ghost Rider is one of the few comics left with a letters column and I love that Aaron is the one responding to the letters rather than an editor, it adds just a bit more atmosphere to what is already a super fun comic. And maybe it was just me being a dork, but I stopped to read the letters page thinking that the comic was over, which made the last page that much more awesome. It gave it the feeling of being a scene in a movie that takes place after the credits.

I felt the same way... was expecting a cover preview for the next issue.

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 405 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:19 pm

amlah6 wrote:So. Many. Words. :shock:

Honestly I'm thinking of going back and writing more of a gushing letter.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Alex Delarge
Post Whore

Postby Alex Delarge » Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:42 am

I might see if I can get Ghost Rider so I don't have to review Phonogram next week....maybe I will review both...

Postby ****** » Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:12 am

Alex Delarge wrote:I might see if I can get Ghost Rider so I don't have to review Phonogram next week....maybe I will review both...

:smt023

SuperginraiX
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 103 posts
Title: unpronounceable
Formerly: Sane

Postby SuperginraiX » Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:21 am

King Impulse wrote:Does your shop carry Casanova when it comes out? Did it have Viking today? If not, I can guarantee they won't have Phonogram. Look for the trade of the first series though, I read it like once every two months I like it that much

Yeah, there's no way they'll have it. :)

High praise, though. I might have to track down the trade and see how it is.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 88 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:43 am

Man, this was awesome, another great issue of GR, I'm glad we're getting these standalone stories before the 'Ghost Riders: Heavens On Fire' mini-series, a nice bit of breathing room before the craziness resumes again (not that this wasn't plenty crazy).

Hopefully next issue will have Blaze back again, as he didn't feature in this or last month's issue (last month was the Caretaker and a bunch of other GRs).

Review to come on Saturday.

KING King Impulse
Teenage Wasteland

Postby KING King Impulse » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:17 am

My apathy/slight dislike for Ketch will drag the score down slightly. Review soon

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 88 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:32 am

King Impulse wrote:My apathy/slight dislike for Ketch will drag the score down slightly. Review soon

Why don't you like Danny? You normally prefer the 90s characters!

Postby ****** » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:34 am

King Impulse wrote:My apathy/slight dislike for Ketch will drag the score down slightly. Review soon

I didn't feel like it even mattered which Ghost Rider was featured in this issue. Hell, take out 4 or 5 caption boxes and I wouldn't have even been able to tell you if it was Blaze or Ketch.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand