Advertisement

Review Group Week 167 - GHOST RIDER #34

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 117 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:33 am

Punchy wrote:It only got so high because like 2 people reviewed it and they both loved it.

AMLAH, on that note, you should list what the SOD says about that.

Issue 2 is out indeed...

and Punchy we sold hundreds of it with store and people ask me when three is coming out on a daily basis... I can think of no one who read it and said it wasn't great, most people use words like "special", "brilliant" and "unbelievable" to describe it.

Advertisement

Liked in: 61 posts

Postby ****** » Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:37 am

Punchy wrote:It only got so high because like 2 people reviewed it and they both loved it.

There were 8 reviews for Four Eyes.

And yes, these averages accounted for total number of reviews for each pick. The Spreadsheet of Doom is not lazy. :roll:
Last edited by ****** on Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby ****** » Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:45 am

thefourthman wrote:and Punchy we sold hundreds of it with store and people ask me when three is coming out on a daily basis... I can think of no one who read it and said it wasn't great, most people use words like "special", "brilliant" and "unbelievable" to describe it.

In Punchy logic if he hasn't read it, it can't be any good. If his shop had had Four Eyes the week we read it, he wouldn't be so bitter about it. :wink:

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 77 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:46 am

amlah6 wrote:In Punchy logic if he hasn't read it, it can't be any good. If his shop had had Four Eyes the week we read it, he wouldn't be so bitter about it. :wink:

This is probably true.

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 362 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:30 pm

I reviewed it late and it was one of the best single issue artistically and creatively I've read in a long time.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:55 pm

guitarsmashley wrote:I reviewed it late and it was one of the best single issue artistically and creatively I've read in a long time.

I'll probably get the trade, but no way is it better than Local or Fell.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 117 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Sat Apr 25, 2009 2:04 pm

Punchy wrote:I'll probably get the trade, but no way is it better than Local or Fell.

maybe better than Local, will not know until it is a few more issues in, probably not better than Fell...
Trade will require more issues... :p Supposedly it will be bi-monthly through 6 which means 3 will be out next month, then it will go on hiatus for a bit so that they can get a few in the can and give it a normal schedule...

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 362 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Sat Apr 25, 2009 3:40 pm

thefourthman wrote:maybe better than Local, will not know until it is a few more issues in, probably not better than Fell...
Trade will require more issues... :p Supposedly it will be bi-monthly through 6 which means 3 will be out next month, then it will go on hiatus for a bit so that they can get a few in the can and give it a normal schedule...

I still need to read all of local but one issue was better than Fell.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Postby ****** » Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:36 pm

thefourthman wrote:maybe better than Local, will not know until it is a few more issues in, probably not better than Fell...

I have no expectations of seeing a Four Eyes collection before 2010, but I really hope they copy the format from the Mice Templar hardcover.

Daringd
Review Grouper

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Daringd » Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:29 pm

WOW! Ghost Rider was really good this week. I haven't been reading the series except for the WWH tie in. But I guess Aaron is taking names a kicking ass and the art was great. Well worth my 3 bucks great pick Punchy.
9/10

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 1 post

Postby Starlord » Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:56 am

Ghost Rider #34

Let me preface this with the fact that I have no interest in Ghost Rider. Never have. Never will. Other than possible cross-overs and occasional guest appearances in other books, I've never in my life picked up an actual Ghost Rider book. It just doesn't interest me.

That being said, this was a gem of an issue. Perfect pick, in my opinion. You didn't really need to know any background of this series to enjoy this single issue story. The Highwayman was a great antagonist with a totally Stephen King style origin. It also reminded me of that classic creepy movie "Duel" that Steven Spielburg directed back in the seventies.

The artwork worked really well with the story, as did the inks and colors.

All in all, I can't find a single thing wrong with this story. I probably won't pick this book up in the future, as I said, no real interest in the character. Still, this was a gem of a story and one I'm glad was chosen. A perfect pick. Thank you, Punch.

Story: 10
Art:10
My score: 10

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:13 am

You really should pick up the trades of Jason Aaron's run Starlord, it's as good, if not better than this issue, more epic in scope.

KING King Impulse
Teenage Wasteland

Title: The Prodigal Son
Formerly: King Impulse

Postby KING King Impulse » Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:55 am

Punchy wrote:You really should pick up the trades of Jason Aaron's run Starlord, it's as good, if not better than this issue, more epic in scope.

I reckon that this was the worst issue of his run. Which isn't an insult at all, just a massive compliment to the issues preceding it.
THE ENTHUSIAST: The Internet's Premier Hate Free Zone!

| Website | Twitter | Facebook |

KING King Impulse
Teenage Wasteland

Title: The Prodigal Son
Formerly: King Impulse

Postby KING King Impulse » Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:17 am

Ghost Rider #34
Trials & Tribulations Part Two: On The Road Again
Written by Jason Aaron
Art by Tony Moore and Dave McCaig

I love Ghost Rider, it's a simple concept, but Jason Aaron is really the first person to make 'SKELETON BIKER WHO'S HEAD IS ON FIRE WHO'S MOTORCYCLE IS ALSO ON FIRE' as awesome as he sounds. So far we've had machine gun nurses, nunchuck nuns, a dude with an eye for a head and Shark Rider, with the end in sight, it's only going to get more mental. I was slightly disappointed with this issue though, it's basically an issue long fight between Ghost Rider Danny Ketch, and The Highwayman, an undead trucker who drives the country feeding souls to the hordes of hell in the back of his lorry. This should be awesome, and in many ways, it is awesome, it's very awesome, but the fight doesn't feel organic at all. Ketch sees The Highwayman doing something obviously evil, fight starts, fight carries on for the rest of the issue. There's no real set-up to the fight besides from a brief backstory of The Highwayman, it just feels like 'Here's character A, here's character B... FIGHT!'
That's not to say the issue isn't full of awesome moments, mostly Moore's art. Ketch's transformation into the Ghost Rider is one of the best pieces of sequential artwork of the year so far, it's actually gripping. He's fantastic with expressions as well, just look at Highwayman's face just before Ketch attacks, Moore puts in little details like a tiny rock falling on Ketch's skull just before he's hit with the Black Rig or the bumper stickers on the school bus ("I climbed Spragg the Living Hill?" Genius)
Overall, it was a good issue of Ghost Rider, far superior to most comics out there, but I felt it lacking in certain areas and was slightly disappointed.

Story - 7
Art - 10
Overall - 8
THE ENTHUSIAST: The Internet's Premier Hate Free Zone!

| Website | Twitter | Facebook |

malcolm reynolds
Garbage Collector

Title: creep
Formerly: young neil

Postby malcolm reynolds » Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:44 pm

Four eyes is a great book, but it's hard to judge from just the first two issues. I'm too impatient to wait for the trade either.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand