Advertisement

Review Group Week 169 - Final Crisis Aftermath: Run! #1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 14 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Wed May 06, 2009 6:16 pm

House of J wrote:Well ok, don't sip on yourself either?

I'm sorry, I'll leave you to your review game.

Someday I may join in, but not for this book.

:cry: post make fourthman sad :cry:

Advertisement

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 1 post
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Wed May 06, 2009 6:19 pm

thefourthman wrote::cry: post make fourthman sad :cry:

Did you pick the book?

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Wed May 06, 2009 6:40 pm

House of J wrote:Did you pick the book?

No, I would have picked something awesome like Atomic Robo!!!

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Wed May 06, 2009 6:45 pm

thefourthman wrote:No, I would have picked something awesome like Atomic Robo!!!

I don't think I've seen that in the shop but it looks good. Did you recommend Bad Dog? I found the 2 issues of that, it's pretty good.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Wed May 06, 2009 6:46 pm

House of J wrote:I don't think I've seen that in the shop but it looks good. Did you recommend Bad Dog? I found the 2 issues of that, it's pretty good.

Why yes, yes I do... it is awesome, very fun...

Chubbles
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Chubbles » Wed May 06, 2009 8:57 pm

Run Review

I'll start by saying I thought Final Crisis sucked and outside of Green Lantern anything in the main DCU right now does not interest me in the slightest bit. This weeks review book thus had me questioning whether I would participate and I figured it would definitely suck. I was pleasantly surprised with how little this book actually sucked. It was actually a pretty solid read and the art (although not a style I normally like) was very fitting. I like reading books from the bad guys perspective and this human flame guy was pretty funny. I think I'll be sticking this mini out although I really don't care much about what the outcome will be but it does seem like it could be a fun ride.

Story 8

Art 7

Overall 7.5

MrBlack
WTF is this rank?

Liked in: 46 posts

Postby MrBlack » Thu May 07, 2009 9:18 am

Alright, I've been neglecting the review group for two weeks, despite having bought the last two comics that were reviewed. So here are pellet reviews on the books from the last two sessions. I'll have a review for FC: Run #1 after I pick it up tonight (too busy yesterday to get it).

Ghost Rider #34: I have never really been a fan of Ghost Rider, and I only have a passing knowledge of what's going on in the current volume. This done-in-one, however, doesn't require any real knowledge of the character, outside of knowing that the guy on the bike is Ghost Rider and he kills demons. Not a lot of substance to the story, but the setup for the demon-of-the-month was well done, and the fight was nicely choreographed. I was not initially a fan of the art style, but Moore did a great job capturing the gruesomeness of the Highwayman and his rig, and the fight sequence looked great. While this issue wasn't anything spectacular, it was a fun, solid read, and was enough to make me think about adding Ghost Rider to my pull list.

Story: 7
Art: 8
Overall: 7.5

Phonogram: The Singles Club #2: Despite having absolutely no idea of the backstory of this comic, I really enjoyed it. It was character driven, so despite not fully understanding the "phonomancer" plot device, I could relate to the emotional trauma that the main character was going through. This is the type of story that bears repeated reading, and I'd like to sit with it for a while again when I have time. The art was very, although I was not a fan of the coloring; it looked a little too slick and digital.

Story: 10
Art: 8
Overall: 9

Daringd
Review Grouper

Postby Daringd » Thu May 07, 2009 3:16 pm

FCA: RUN! #1: Sturges/Williams II DC $2.99
This was either going to be ____ or something great. Thank god it was the latter. This was fun if not unnecessary I mean who cares about Human Flame? But Sturges makes it interesting makes me look forward to the next 5 issues. Williams II does a great job on art about half way into reading this I realized he did the latter half of the Mister Miracle S7 book. The book actually got me interested in the Human Flame and that surprised me. Check this book out lots of great stuff here.
8.5/10

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Thu May 07, 2009 5:43 pm

Wow that was awesome!!! Holy shit, who would of thunk Final Crisis could be such a turd but it's aftermath would be so cool. Now I am really excited about these books whereas before I was kind of just getting them because I am crazy DC Fanboy guy.

Turning in review now, will link when live...

Story 8
Art 8
Overall 8

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Thu May 07, 2009 5:44 pm

This is a trick to make me run out and buy this book and it won't work.

Chubbles
Twenty-Something

Postby Chubbles » Thu May 07, 2009 11:19 pm

House of J wrote:This is a trick to make me run out and buy this book and it won't work.

it's a pretty good read and trust me I hate almost everything about DC so for me to say that it must be pretty good.

It's on par with some lower level marvel titles.

:lol:

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Fri May 08, 2009 6:40 am

review is live...
http://brokenfrontier.com/reviews/p/det ... math-run-1
an excerpt...
All the reader needs to know is that everybody is pissed at Mr. Miller. So he runs. While he is running something happens though. The small timer who has only looked after himself, actually starts to look after himself. Bullets fly and people get hurt and die. Now the heroes have a new reason to want him brought in.

It is a tricky bit of character development that Sturges makes look entirely too easy. That’s the thing with this book. Like when Simone is on her game (see Secret Six), it is so fun and so effortless. Maybe that is why this first issue seems so much brighter than the event book that set it up. So much thought, effort and rewriting went into Final Crisis that the fun got sucked up into a void somewhere and we were left with a disjointed mess of a story that failed to live up to the hype.

McKegan
Zombie Guard

Postby McKegan » Fri May 08, 2009 2:19 pm

Any suggestions for next week?

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Fri May 08, 2009 2:19 pm

What the hell, we don't have a pick yet and the DC event tie-in book is generating less interest than the crazy british music magic comic???

The intrawebz are weird.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Fri May 08, 2009 2:23 pm

You guys should just bite the bullet and do Escape, the preview looked tempting.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand